Quantcast

NSUOK help?!?!?!

OATBooster | The Ultimate OAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mysteriouseyes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so what's the deal with this optometry school in Oklahoma? I feel like this school is such an enigma.... I don't hear too much about it or see very many posts on it. What are everyone's opinion on NSUOK? I have an interview there soon and I didn't even want to apply there but my parents made me just because it's the closest school to where we live. I know what OK is big on lasers and many ppl don't want to go there because the only place they could practice would be OK because of the lasers since no other state has approved optometrists' using lasers. So other than that what's wrong with NSUOK and has anyone interviewed there because I would like know what their interviews are like (it sounds intimidating)? Thanks for any input! Good luck everyone!

JeffChou

Your mom goes to college
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so what's the deal with this optometry school in Oklahoma? I feel like this school is such an enigma.... I don't hear too much about it or see very many posts on it. What are everyone's opinion on NSUOK? I have an interview there soon and I didn't even want to apply there but my parents made me just because it's the closest school to where we live. I know what OK is big on lasers and many ppl don't want to go there because the only place they could practice would be OK because of the lasers since no other state has approved optometrists' using lasers. So other than that what's wrong with NSUOK and has anyone interviewed there because I would like know what their interviews are like (it sounds intimidating)? Thanks for any input! Good luck everyone!

It actually is rather obscure to most students. Their class size is only 26 and they only accepts students from 9 states in the central are of the US. That narrows down the applicant pool considerably. According to opted.com, for the entering class of 2006, they received 108 total applications for 26 spots as opposed to ICO's 936 applications for 155 spots. There are just apparently not enough applicants for there to be any sort of detailed discussion on Northeastern State University's optometry school.

Maybe you can pioneer the discussion. Hopefully anyone else applying their might be able to help.

-Jeff

Futuredocopt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've applied to NSUOK a couple of times, and I've been surprised that few people post about it. Tahlequah is a small town. However, it is also the capital of the Cherokee Nation. The optometry school has a contract with the tribe, so the students see a lot of patients. I've talked to students and professors at other optometry schools who have really praised NSU for the opportunites available.

With the small class size, NSU is very hard to get into. I interviewed at SCO, UMSL, and NSU this year, and it was definitely the most stressful of the three. The people are all very nice, but you have to go through three interviews and then write a blind essay. The interviewers try to make things relaxed, but answering different types of questions from different people really increases the number of topics that are covered.

The school is in the old Indian hospital. The facilities aren't as nice as those at SCO, but from the people I've talked to, NSU's clinical program is second to none.

Finally, don't expect to have an answer from NSU for quite awhile. They will do early admissions for some people before Christmas. However, once interviews start in January, everyone has to wait until the interview process is completed for the final decisions. It seems like I got my letter last year around the middle of March.

Hope that helps.