Nuanced OMFS residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meningititis

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have some specific questions about applying to OMFS residency after dental school, any opinions would be appreciated!
A little bit about my academic history as it is relevant to my questions: My undergrad GPA when applying to dental school was 3.3ish overall, science 3.0. I got in my first application cycle with one interview and one acceptance.
I am now a D2 ranked top 15%, and am currently studying for the CBSE in July. After, I plan to start externing, and looking to have done 3-5 before I ultimately apply next year. My question is does my undergrad stats preclude me from getting into 6 year OMFS programs? Do 6 year applicants need to meet certain hard cutoff undergrad requirements for the medical school in order to even get an interview, or are they just concerned with if you can pass step 1 (based on your CBSE score)? I honestly have no preference on 4 vs. 6 year, but I don't want to "waste" an externship on a school that only offers a 6 year program that I wouldn't be able to get in anyway because of a hard GPA cutoff. Would anything change if I got a very good CBSE score? I'd like to think that I can sell myself as a good applicant once I get an interview, but I'm afraid that legendary programs like Parkland, NOLA, Shreveport etc. won't even consider me with the low undergrad GPA. I feel extremely fortunate to have even gotten in dental school, and I want to show residency programs through GPA/class rank/CBSE/intern year if need be that I do belong here and that I am capable. With this in mind how would you guys go about choosing where to extern and apply that I have a realistic chance of getting into? I appreciate everyone's time, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

OMFS programs (that I know of) could not care less about your undergrad gpa. Some med schools care but I don’t believe it’s the norm. I know that Maryland is one of the med schools that cares and wants you to have above a 3.7 ug gpa. PDs in here can chime in but my understanding is that the majority of med schools wouldn’t say no to an OMFS applicant with your GPA given good grades in dental school and a good CBSE

Reactions: 1 users
False. My program cares. All MD schools care to some degree. Your stats matter to them. Just email some PDs so you don't waste your money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Said this before in another thread. I had a 3.1 undergrad and I still matched a 6 year. I’ve been told via email and calls from PDs that I was accepted to 2 other medical schools, which means I got accepted to 3 that I know of. With a 3.1, I got like 7 interviews for 6 years and got into at least 3 that I know, so you can see that it is less of a problem than many think. Im sure some schools care (Ivy leagues like Columbia and Penn), but many others don’t. Prob schools that make you go through AMCAS prob care as well. You will find a healthy amount that don’t care provided that you have a good dental school app (high rank, high CBSE, good everything else).

medical school. lots of idiots in dental school. even ****ty medical schools care.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I had a 3.8 and got screened out by some med schools lol. The fact is it matters to varying degrees, some 6 yrs don't care at all, but some do eliminate candidates no matter how high your dental school stats are. The guy saying he had a 3.1 and matched a 6 yr doesn't disprove anything, it just means he got into one where they don't care.

I had a 3.8 and got screened out by some med schools lol. The fact is it matters to varying degrees, some 6 yrs don't care at all, but some do eliminate candidates no matter how high your dental school stats are. The guy saying he had a 3.1 and matched a 6 yr doesn't disprove anything, it just means he got into one where they don't care.
I like how we both essentially said the same thing except your comment tries to invalidate my experience and makes it sound like I’m wrong. OP asks whether their GPA preclude them from 6 year programs. The answer is no, and clearly you agree. What exactly am I trying to disprove besides that OP has no shot or that all medical schools care?

Last edited:
For our program, if you get an invite, you’ve essentially already cleared the med school hurdle. They will still interview you as a formality, but I think they only very very rarely give a thumbs down at that point.

Depends on how much pull the medical school has with the OMFS residency.
At some programs, you have a separate interview with a representative from the medical school, and they can veto any applicant that they feel doesn't fit with their overall mission. At some other programs, the medical have almost no say, and they trust the residency's decisions.
So the answer is, it depends, and you won't know until you go there and interview and ask that specific question. If you end up with an interview at that specific residency program, then you should feel that you are qualified enough for them to rank you to match, and you've passed the initial med school screening.

Reactions: 2 users
Depends on how much pull the medical school has with the OMFS residency.
At some programs, you have a separate interview with a representative from the medical school, and they can veto any applicant that they feel doesn't fit with their overall mission. At some other programs, the medical have almost no say, and they trust the residency's decisions.
So the answer is, it depends, and you won't know until you go there and interview and ask that specific question. If you end up with an interview at that specific residency program, then you should feel that you are qualified enough for them to rank you to match, and you've passed the initial med school screening.
My program has had the MD school veto interviewees on our rank list. Granted we do only 20 months, barley pay tuition, and spend most of the time moonlighting.

Please contact residency coordinators for specifics. Everyone here is discussing conjecture when information, requirements change with time and new people in positions of power.

Rothschild family made millions because of how recent their info was after the battle of waterloo when they bought all of the English govt bonds that were offering a high rate because they found out the English won prior to the govt finding out.

Please don't wait around and just go ask the people who can give you a legit answer. Attendings and MD school ADCOMs, for the most part, don't really care what any residents thinks is true about applicants or the app cycle.

Last edited:
Bravo on the absolute out of left field history reference

Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone,
I have some specific questions about applying to OMFS residency after dental school, any opinions would be appreciated!
A little bit about my academic history as it is relevant to my questions: My undergrad GPA when applying to dental school was 3.3ish overall, science 3.0. I got in my first application cycle with one interview and one acceptance.
I am now a D2 ranked top 15%, and am currently studying for the CBSE in July. After, I plan to start externing, and looking to have done 3-5 before I ultimately apply next year. My question is does my undergrad stats preclude me from getting into 6 year OMFS programs? Do 6 year applicants need to meet certain hard cutoff undergrad requirements for the medical school in order to even get an interview, or are they just concerned with if you can pass step 1 (based on your CBSE score)? I honestly have no preference on 4 vs. 6 year, but I don't want to "waste" an externship on a school that only offers a 6 year program that I wouldn't be able to get in anyway because of a hard GPA cutoff. Would anything change if I got a very good CBSE score? I'd like to think that I can sell myself as a good applicant once I get an interview, but I'm afraid that legendary programs like Parkland, NOLA, Shreveport etc. won't even consider me with the low undergrad GPA. I feel extremely fortunate to have even gotten in dental school, and I want to show residency programs through GPA/class rank/CBSE/intern year if need be that I do belong here and that I am capable. With this in mind how would you guys go about choosing where to extern and apply that I have a realistic chance of getting into? I appreciate everyone's time, thank you!
Unfortunately yes - from the recent interview trail here are schools that may not explicity state a hard uGPA cut off on their websites but certainly must have one as a result of their MS. What it is specifically I can't say, but I'd gander at least a 3.5 just from word-of-mouth folks who also applied this cycle. Take it with a grain of salt however:

USC, NYU, Columbia, Sinai, Harvard, MGH, UCLA, UCSF

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately yes - from the recent interview trail here are schools that may not explicity state a hard uGPA cut off on their websites but certainly must have one as a result of their MS. What it is specifically I can't say, but I'd gander at least a 3.5 just from word-of-mouth folks who also applied this cycle. Take it with a grain of salt however:

USC, NYU, Columbia, Sinai, Harvard, MGH, UCLA, UCSF
Do they consider masters / post-bacc gpa? Would be weird if they didnt, considering medical schools do when admitting regular med students

It is odd considering a student who is minimum 4-years removed from undergrad bc they are going to be on an entirely different level when it comes to their own learning style and experience, especially if they got a competitive CBSE score and high class rank. May be some judgement of dental students as being less able to handle academic course load or dental school as a whole being less strenuous academically?

It is odd considering a student who is minimum 4-years removed from undergrad bc they are going to be on an entirely different level when it comes to their own learning style and experience, especially if they got a competitive CBSE score and high class rank. May be some judgement of dental students as being less able to handle academic course load or dental school as a whole being less strenuous academically?
What we were told from one of the MS deans is that dental school performance is mostly removed - the OMFS applicants are applying to the medical school program and thus are held to the same standard as similar applicants in the pool, which is utilizing their undergraduate / post bacc / etc. GPAs. Similarly, if you haven't taken the adequate credits for each specific school (such as some MS don't take community college credit for any core science classes), you're automatically rejected. What's even more annoying is that some OMFS schools will EXTEND you the invite (one that comes to mind is USC) but then the medical school will need to approve the ranking thereafter, and you can be rejected from being ranked based on credits / GPA etc. even though you already spent time, money, and effort interviewing with the OMFS program. Annoying, but it is what it is. Basically - do your due diligience when applying and check each medical school's baseline requirements before spending money and time on the app!!

Do they consider masters / post-bacc gpa? Would be weird if they didnt, considering medical schools do when admitting regular med students
I'm sure they do as these are considered in normal MS admissions as well.

when you rotate through the hospital, they treat MD residents different from certificate residents. Specifically: Your own attendings and other services.

Plastics and ENT, while they have respect for omfs who work in the hospital, respect 6>4 from my experience. At the end of the day, we all get out and make $$, but its good to understand the academic landscape.

when you rotate through the hospital, they treat MD residents different from certificate residents. Specifically: Your own attendings and other services.

Plastics and ENT, while they have respect for omfs who work in the hospital, respect 6>4 from my experience. At the end of the day, we all get out and make $$, but its good to understand the academic landscape.
Does your hospital have 4 and 6 year residents? I’d be interested to see if perceptions differ at places that only have 4s.

My training program only had 4 year residents and facial fractures always went to OMFS, no ENT or Plastics for facial fractures. At our hospital, it didn't seem like the lack of an MD was a thing. BUT... many times people were surprised that we weren't MDs if it came up. After residency, I took facial trauma call at a hospital and the ENT docs weren't too happy that the OMFS team was treating facial fractures (we were all 4 year trained). And yet, ENT wouldn't treat mandible fractures.

So the 6>4 is real, just to different degrees. Usually once those MDs see you in action and if they like you, it becomes less of a thing. But absolutely, in general, you're still viewed as a dentist by some MD surgeons.

its not just MDs. Tell people you are a dentist placing an orbital floor plate and doing a coronal flap and see what happens. Alot of 4 year programs are in not so great hospitals as that patient population pool is less likely to sue.

little timmy has an anterior table fx from football? OMFS doesn't use scopes to go intranasally to reduce said fx. We are all trained "old school"--->meaning we have to do a coronal flap for access, raise a pericranial flap? We can do it for sure. Is it worth a lawsuit for being a dentist should you **** it up? nah man. it isn't.

I believe respect and competence is at an individual level. I've met not so talented 6 years and talented 4 years. I've also met the opposite. But we live in a world where if someone meets you for the first time, your titles mean more to them.

Even at my program. we have both 4 and 6. The private hospital that both the 4 and 6 year rotate in doesn't let the majority of 4 year attendings take call there. they can only take call at the state funded tertiary care referral center. Are any new grads eager to take call at any site with residents? not really. b/c $$.

The difference is real in academics. its the rest of your life in the western world. probably 40 years of working professional life? just get the MD. its easier.

Also, when looking for a job, there are offices that won't hire 4 year guys. They want people with MDs

Last edited:
“Bro, I’m just a dentist” is my favorite line when medicine doesn’t want to admit the patient. I hope it still works when I get my MD in May.

it will. won't work all the time. in fellowship it prob won't work- won't work with flaps. won't work with craniofacial. Those patients are yours.

"Also, when looking for a job, there are offices that won't hire 4 year guys. They want people with MDs"

Is this prevalent to the point of being an actual hurdle for the 4 year guys?

"Also, when looking for a job, there are offices that won't hire 4 year guys. They want people with MDs"

This may be true. But, I don't believe it. There are 2 retiring oral surgeon's for every graduating resident. No one cares about your MD in private practice.

Reactions: 4 users

I have met and spoken to 6 year guys who trained in the 80s and 90s who are looking for associates/partners for their independent private offices who want a 6 year, but not a 4 year to join them. However, I would guess they're in the minority, and corporate/DSO will not care whatsoever

Last edited:
yeah. DSOs don't care. But if there are offices looking for 6 years, they want a partner. With a partner, you get capital gains taxes on a ton of income.

You get taxed a ton as a W2 or 1099 with a DSO. even specialty one only offers stocks in the company. you are still employed.

No

Sounds like the physicians need to be educated on what OMS is. An oral surgeon should be judged based on their case long, not on the extra degree.

there is no place for ego in our field tbh. this guy is a single degree omfs and probably did everything write and is getting crucified by the media. Maybe an MD would have prevented them from suing. who knows. Him telling dentists they shouldn't place implants makes him seem arrogant.

Also: nobody cares about your case log if half your flap patients die or the flap fails. They kick you out of the hospital. Your mandible fx gets a PE and passes away? best believe you get sued for being a dentist.

Dental schools have lax surgical standards. we all know that. Your internship experience and MD matter. Staying humble matters. Feeling respected matters. Just be prepared to eat some additional **** because you were too greedy, lazy, or arrogant to not get the MD over with should the opportunity have presented itself. You were def not poor because I guarantee, starting salaries are super high in our field.

Anyone who applies for a 6 year spot with a "I'm just trying to get in" normally doesn't get in. He has to WANT the spot. badly. Its like Giselle Bundchen is asking "why you". You should state "I'll do everything required. we were made to be. We fit like a jigsaw puzzle. This is what I want for the rest of my life. I would regret not coming here". That **** makes people feel good about their work they put in to make a program good.

Last edited:
there is no place for ego in our field tbh. this guy is a single degree omfs and probably did everything write and is getting crucified by the media. Maybe an MD would have prevented them from suing. who knows. Him telling dentists they shouldn't place implants makes him seem arrogant.

Also: nobody cares about your case log if half your flap patients die or the flap fails. They kick you out of the hospital. Your mandible fx gets a PE and passes away? best believe you get sued for being a dentist.

Dental schools have lax surgical standards. we all know that. Your internship experience and MD matter. Staying humble matters. Feeling respected matters. Just be prepared to eat some additional **** because you were too greedy, lazy, or arrogant to not get the MD over with should the opportunity have presented itself. You were def not poor because I guarantee, starting salaries are super high in our field.

Anyone who applies for a 6 year spot with a "I'm just trying to get in" normally doesn't get in. He has to WANT the spot. badly. Its like Giselle Bundchen is asking "why you". You should state "I'll do everything required. we were made to be. We fit like a jigsaw puzzle. This is what I want for the rest of my life. I would regret not coming here". That **** makes people feel good about their work they put in to make a program good.

As a fellow 6-year person, I have to disagree quite a bit. 95% of practices looking for a partner don’t care about the MD. I also completely disagree with you on people who go the 4-year route being lazy - that is an absolute absurd statement. Everyone has their own reasons for why they went 4 or 6. The debate is pretty nauseating at this point.

Lastly, that YouTube video is about someone who is a general dentist, not OMFS…

Reactions: 9 users

I went to a single degree program and did not feel this way at all. Neither did any of my other colleagues in single degree programs. Where I trained, omfs treated all facial trauma through a level 1 trauma center 6/7 days a week and ENT got trauma 1 day a week. Plastics didn’t get facial trauma. We got along great with plastics and ent and worked collaboratively with both services when we needed free flaps. On the one day a week that ent would take trauma call they would frequently just refer the entire case to omfs if the trauma involved teeth or a complicated mandible fracture. My best friend who is a dual degree graduate told me his single degree co resident operated literally 2 times as many cases as he did during their chief year and the attendings liked his co resident more than they liked him. How a rotating resident is treated has a lot to do with the relationship between department chairs. Where I trained, our chair (single degree) was absolutely admired and loved by everyone in the hospital. Historically we had 1-2 ORs just designated for omfs to be trained in those rooms, and were always given the best anesthesiologist attendings. We were also treated well on medicine, critical care and cardiologist - again because the relationship was good between departmental chairs.

its not just MDs. Tell people you are a dentist placing an orbital floor plate and doing a coronal flap and see what happens. Alot of 4 year programs are in not so great hospitals as that patient population pool is less likely to sue.

little timmy has an anterior table fx from football? OMFS doesn't use scopes to go intranasally to reduce said fx. We are all trained "old school"--->meaning we have to do a coronal flap for access, raise a pericranial flap? We can do it for sure. Is it worth a lawsuit for being a dentist should you **** it up? nah man. it isn't.

I believe respect and competence is at an individual level. I've met not so talented 6 years and talented 4 years. I've also met the opposite. But we live in a world where if someone meets you for the first time, your titles mean more to them.

Even at my program. we have both 4 and 6. The private hospital that both the 4 and 6 year rotate in doesn't let the majority of 4 year attendings take call there. they can only take call at the state funded tertiary care referral center. Are any new grads eager to take call at any site with residents? not really. b/c $$.

The difference is real in academics. its the rest of your life in the western world. probably 40 years of working professional life? just get the MD. its easier.

Also, when looking for a job, there are offices that won't hire 4 year guys. They want people with MDs

This couldn’t be further from reality. >95 percent of omfs graduating will not treat frontal sinus fractures following residency (or work in academics). Not because we can’t, it becomes logistically difficult to round and provide post operative care when you are busy in private practice. Those with MDs are absolutely not immune to lawsuits. One of my good colleagues who is a dual degree omfs gets two claims a year. If you have an anesthesia complication, your md is not going to save you. Likewise having an md does not prevent neurosurgeons and plastic surgeons from lawsuits. I can’t even believe I’m having to state the obvious.

yeah. DSOs don't care. But if there are offices looking for 6 years, they want a partner. With a partner, you get capital gains taxes on a ton of income.

You get taxed a ton as a W2 or 1099 with a DSO. even specialty one only offers stocks in the company. you are still employed.
Maybe you should finish your residency and start practicing first before you start giving unsolicited tax advice.

The argument to get an MD because group practices want a dual degree graduate is weak at best. The majority of all practicing oral surgeons are single degree. The harsh reality is that most private practices cannot even fill their associate positions. They have ads up and no one wants to work there. The compensation structure in a private practice associateship is not competitive. Many associates on a ‘partnership track’ leave within 2 years. Most private practices are DYING to have someone join.

As previously mentioned this is not an oral surgeon that you are trolling about. It’s a general dentist doing iv sedation.

Let me share with you a story, I was called by a colleague dual degree oral surgeon not too long ago because his patient was having uncontrollable hemorrhage after an orthognathic case. He left the same day for flight out of town on vacation with his family. He contacted me out of the blue (we’ve never spoken or met previously) to go see his patient because I was also privileged in the hospital. He also belonged to a large group practice where his partners refused to see his patient (they also held privileges at the hospital btw). I immediately dropped what I was doing and went to see his patient. After taking care of the problem he was always thankful to me for giving a hand when he needed it.
Everyone involved in the patients care was happy I showed up. I didn’t get paid for this I was just happy to help out a colleague.
Every provider will need help at some point.
Someday you will also need a hand.
You talk about not having an ego but your posts show the exact opposite.

Reactions: 10 users
Its like Giselle Bundchen is asking "why you". You should state "I'll do everything required. we were made to be. We fit like a jigsaw puzzle. This is what I want for the rest of my life. I would regret not coming here".
The out of left field reference strikes again.