Number of externships OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teeth!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many OMFS externships do people recommend? I’ve heard 3? Is 5 too many?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For what it’s worth, I feel like 3-5 is a great number. That’s what I was always told. Financially and time-wise, if you are able to attend more, that’s great too. The important part is that you are using your free time and resources to better understand OMS and, specifically, what OMS residency entails.

Reactions: 1 users
For what it’s worth, I feel like 3-5 is a great number. That’s what I was always told. Financially and time-wise, if you are able to attend more, that’s great too. The important part is that you are using your free time and resources to better understand OMS and, specifically, what OMS residency entails.
Ok that makes sense. Is there any advantage of doing more? Or is it similar to like above an 80 EPC on CBSE there is diminishing returns

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok that makes sense. Is there any advantage of doing more? Or is it similar to like above an 80 EPC on CBSE there is diminishing returns
I’ll defer to someone else on that. My overall thought is that being well-rounded (strong CBSE score, competitive class rank, LOR, 3-5 externships, research, etc) is important. If anything, additional externships can help get your foot in the door for getting an interview, given you are respectful and make a good impression.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Quality over quantity. 3-5 externships should be good enough

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll defer to someone else on that. My overall thought is that being well-rounded (strong CBSE score, competitive class rank, LOR, 3-5 externships, research, etc) is important. If anything, additional externships can help get your foot in the door for getting an interview, given you are respectful and make a good impression.
Agreed that doing more can help, but it can also hurt. If you are someone who is a little socially inept and is an overall bad extern, you are likely not to get interviews from those programs. However, if you are the opposite, you will likely get interviews from those programs.

I think I did 5 or 6 externships and I ended up getting interviews at all of them. Some programs will favor giving an interview to an extern versus those who do not extern.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Agreed that doing more can help, but it can also hurt. If you are someone who is a little socially inept and is an overall bad extern, you are likely not to get interviews from those programs. However, if you are the opposite, you will likely get interviews from those programs.

I think I did 5 or 6 externships and I ended up getting interviews at all of them. Some programs will favor giving an interview to an extern versus those who do not extern.
Sounds like he was a great extern back in school. Externship can make you or break you. It is a week long interview process. Great externs get interview invites from all the places that they externed at. Bad ones get banned and get no invites.

Show up to rounds early, go to ED to help out interns, know the basic stuff for OR cases, show that you are a great person to work with in professional setting. You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users