Apparition

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2002
Visit site
Status
Of course this process involves too many factors to be in any way predictable but how many interviews does one need to feel sort of confident of at least one acceptance? I know there have been people with 5 interviews who ultimately got rejected from everywhere and there were some who had one interview and an acceptance. But still...

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
Apparition said:
Of course this process involves too many factors to be in any way predictable but how many interviews does one need to feel sort of confident of at least one acceptance? I know there have been people with 5 interviews who ultimately got rejected from everywhere and there were some who had one interview and an acceptance. But still...
There's no "safe" number of interviews that will guarantee you an acceptance. So keep attending all of your interviews until you get an acceptance.

OP
Apparition

Apparition

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2002
Visit site
Status
QofQuimica said:
There's no "safe" number of interviews that will guarantee you an acceptance. So keep attending all of your interviews until you get an acceptance.
I'm not trying to decide whether to attend all of my two interviews. I'm just bored at work and this question popped into my head.

zurned

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
Status
well assume that each school takes 33 percent of their interviewees. So mathematically, the chance of you getting rejected from A and B and C etc is (1-0.33)^number of interviews. Less competitive schools take about half of interviewees so its 0.5^number of interviews that you will get rejected from all of them. It comes out to a pretty good chance if you have 5 interviews but who knows.

BaylorGuy

Enter witty comment here
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Galveston
Status
I would agree. It depends on the person and the med school. I would liken the whole process to baseball. There is an overall batting average for all players (I.E. total acceptances), but each player is going to have different averages, as is each pitcher (med schools).

Wow, I hope that made some sense.

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
BaylorGuy said:
I would agree. It depends on the person and the med school. I would liken the whole process to baseball. There is an overall batting average for all players (I.E. total acceptances), but each player is going to have different averages, as is each pitcher (med schools).

I am a HUGE baseball fan, and I loved it.

shoal

Oinker!
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2005
Status
yeah that totally made sense. I just hope the pitcher isn't roger clemsons, or last years Johan Santana OUFTA!

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Status
BaylorGuy said:

So.. me interviewing at say, UCSF or Johns Hopkins is like a little leaguer facing Randy Johnson's heater... I like the analogy.

Risa

like Lisa with an R
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2005
Status
Medical Student
zurned said:
well assume that each school takes 33 percent of their interviewees. So mathematically, the chance of you getting rejected from A and B and C etc is (1-0.33)^number of interviews. Less competitive schools take about half of interviewees so its 0.5^number of interviews that you will get rejected from all of them. It comes out to a pretty good chance if you have 5 interviews but who knows.
That would be true if each interview was an independent event... but they are very much dependent (they're all the interviews of a particular individual), so the math really goes out the window.