Number of Mayo Interviews Offered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forthedistance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an interview for Mayo. Does anyone know how many people they actually offer interviews to? Is it just anyone who meets the minimum requirements or certain applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Typically not just anyone who meets the minimum requirements will receive an interview. Our class gpa average was 3.65-3.7. You also have to complete a behavioral interview, which was different from any other program I interviewed with. I believe there were approx. 600 applicants to Mayo last year and about 100-120 received interviews. Out of those ppl around 28-32 get accepted. The class size is 28.

All that said, grades are not the only thing Mayo cares about, and if your application exhibited other characteristics along with strong academics then you would probably an ideal candidate to receive an interview.

behavioral interview? Ox, will you PM me the details of that? I'm curious. I was offered an interview there when I applied, and accepted the offer, but had to reschedule because my microbio prof got behind and ended up having a test that day (which happened to be one of the last classes before the final). He wouldn't let me take it late, and I couldn't take it early since not all the material was covered in class yet. I rescheduled for later, but then had already been accepted at UIC and NU and decided I'd rather stay in Chicago.

But yeah, I've never heard of the behavior interview so I'm just curious what it was like since I never ended up going to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
could you send details for me as well please :)

I guess I'm just wondering if you have any advice/insights into the interview process for a new candidate. What kinds of things are they looking for?

Thanks!

behavioral interview? Ox, will you PM me the details of that? I'm curious. I was offered an interview there when I applied, and accepted the offer, but had to reschedule because my microbio prof got behind and ended up having a test that day (which happened to be one of the last classes before the final). He wouldn't let me take it late, and I couldn't take it early since not all the material was covered in class yet. I rescheduled for later, but then had already been accepted at UIC and NU and decided I'd rather stay in Chicago.

But yeah, I've never heard of the behavior interview so I'm just curious what it was like since I never ended up going to it.

Me too. I want to know :). I have mine in a few weeks :D

If you don't mind sending it to another person, I would love to hear about it too. Thanks Ox!

I wish they didn't interview so many applicants. The whole application process is so exhausting it just makes it harder dragging it out. Does anyone know why they interview so many? Is it because lots of people choose not to attend so they need back ups?

I wish they didn't interview so many applicants. The whole application process is so exhausting it just makes it harder dragging it out. Does anyone know why they interview so many? Is it because lots of people choose not to attend so they need back ups?

I am going to preface the proceeding statement with "I have zero proof of this." I would imagine that the 100-120 ppl interviewed are actually qualified academically and professionally to receive an interview. Mind you each DPT class may have great variability from year to year. Even if they do interview that amount of people, you are only talking about 16-18% of the people who applied. In my mind, that ratio is not a lot. The ADCOM wants to know if what they see on paper is evident in person. As a place of higher education, I wouldn't want to miss out on the opportunity to accept a student who is not only going to be successful throughout the program but may prove to be a leader in the field of PT in the future. ADCOMS want to make sure they cross all "t's" and dot all "I's" I know it is an arduous process, but it is a part of the "process." If you receive an interview then you are that much closer to possibly being accepted.

On another note, Mayo is doing the early admissions "thing" this year. I know very little about it, but I guess it is designed to accept ppl who really want to come to Mayo. This may cut down the number of interviewees this year. On the other hand, I have no proof of this! Best wishes to you all moving forward!:thumbup:

Hi Ox! would you mind sending details for me as well please? I have my interview in a few weeks :)

Also, do you have any advice about interview process for a new candidate such as what kinds of things are they looking for in an applicant? Thanks so much!

Hi Ox, are you still willing to share your interview experience? I've got an interview in a few weeks and would love some insight. Thanks in advance!