Number of patients covering per week in PHP/IOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at PHP/IOP jobs and wondering how many patients one is typically carrying per week in these contexts? For most of these places one sees PHP 1-2x per week and IOP 1x per week to 1x per month. Curious about both adult and CAP numbers.

Also anything I should specifically be asking about at this level of care when evaluating jobs? Pros or cons of these positions I should be aware of when compared with other levels of care? I did a board search and only found one short thread. Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Recent job I was looking at had it around 40 encounters per week (8/day for fulltime) with PHP being 2x and IOP being 1x. Common allotment would then be something like 15 PHP patients and 10 IOP patients on census. This is for CAP with expectations of significant treatment planning and at least some family interactions. I can imagine a particularly posh cash-pay type of place with lower numbers and some PHP/IOP mills with higher numbers.