Number of Pre-requisities Remaining Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I'll be applying this cycle and I'm about to register for fall classes. As of right now I'll have 4 left for next year: Orgo II, Physics II, Genetics, and Biochemistry. I'll have them and my degree as of the Spring semester in 2017. I was just wondering if schools looks at how many you have left and if it looks better to take more of them in the fall? I could take 3 in the fall and 1 in the spring or 2 in the fall and 2 in the spring. I know for Florida it was like 80% had to be done. Some other schools I'm looking at are Purdue, Wisconsin, OK State, Ohio State, and Missouri. Any advice helps thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I'll be applying this cycle and I'm about to register for fall classes. As of right now I'll have 4 left for next year: Orgo II, Physics II, Genetics, and Biochemistry. I'll have them and my degree as of the Spring semester in 2017. I was just wondering if schools looks at how many you have left and if it looks better to take more of them in the fall? I could take 3 in the fall and 1 in the spring or 2 in the fall and 2 in the spring. I know for Florida it was like 80% had to be done. Some other schools I'm looking at are Purdue, Wisconsin, OK State, Ohio State, and Missouri. Any advice helps thanks!
It might be better to contact the schools and see what requirements they have. As long as meet their requirements it won't matter when you take them. I know for Purdue and Mizzou (at least when I applied), it doesn't matter. If I recall Wisconsin and Ohio had some sort of pre-req timeline (no idea for OK state), so I would take a look at their websites and see what they need.

The other thing to point out from what Ash has said is that some schools are now doing this whole thing of major prerequisites being completed with a "Full course load." Unfortunately, stuff like that, at least I feel, changes so much from year to year, that your best bet is to contact each of the schools individually and ask what they would want

Members don't see this ad :)

Is there any way you can take any of these classes this summer? The more classes you have done before applying the better. I had same # of prereqs to take after submitting my app and the school told me specifically that is why I did not get an interview. They said they needed to see my grades for those classes so I could prove to them I could succeed in those classes. Even though I'd taken a lot of other science courses and shown I could do well.

Which school did you apply to? I'm taking microbiology in the summer and I can't take either physics or genetics with that bc of contradicting times. @PreVetMed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know mizzou looks at course load and if you take less than full time you lose points in their formula. Not sure about the others though, this is a good question to email to admissions.

I've taken at least 15 credits a semester so I would consider that full time? What formula do they use?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've taken at least 15 credits a semester so I would consider that full time? What formula do they use?
This link explains how Mizzou calculates your academic and non-academic scores: http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm
I'll have to look at my past evaluation sheets when I get home to remember exactly how you earn points for courseload, but it's only 6% of your score, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your academic score is mainly based on your cumulative and last 3 semester GPAs.

Sorry for the delay, I finally found my academic evaluation form from last year. So cumulative GPA is 20 points of your academic score (which is 40 points total). A 3.0 GPA is a 0, a 4.0 is a 20. They take your GPA - 3.00 and then multiply it by 20 to get that score. Your last 3 semesters' GPA is 10 points, again they take that GPA minus 3.0 and multiply it by 10. Average undergraduate course load is 6 points. 13 hours is 0 points, 18 is 6 points. They take your average course load x 1.2 and then subtract 15.6. For example I had an average undergrad course load of 16.13 hours, so my score was 3.76 points. Then the last 4 points is your GRE score, 3 points based on the quantitative and verbal sections and 1 point based on the analytical. For quant and verbal, add your scores, subtract 285, divide that by 18.33 and that's your score. For analytical, it's your score minus 1.5 divided by 4.5.

Then your non-academic score is 60 points, 20 of which is your "overall impression" score. The other 40 are broken down as follows: 5 points for motivation/concepts of profession, 2.5 points for companion animal experience, 2.5 points for equine experience, 2.5 points for food animal experience, 2.5 points for other animal experience, 2.5 points for biomed/public health/research experience, 5 points for communication skills, 5 points for extracurricular activities, 5 points for leadership/initiative, 5 points for work experience, and 5 points for unique life experiences. In each category you're scored out of 10, and then that is converted to the number of points.

I hope that's helpful and not too confusing! Last year for accepted IS applicants the average total academic score was 24.09 and non-academic 40.51. I was told in my file review last year that their minimum cutoff for IS acceptances was 55 total points, but that varies from year to year. I don't have the average numbers for OOS, but Kathy in admissions may be able to give you more info if you shoot her an email. Also note that this information is from last year, I don't know if they changed anything this year or plan to make changes for next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow thanks! That is very helpful and interesting to me.

Reactions: 1 user