sharkbaitwhohaha

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I'm a 4th year DO student applying this year for neurology. I wanted to get some guidance on how many programs DO students typically apply to. Couldn't find any recent information about this in the forms. Mainly concerned because i'm a DO student, and most information I see refers to MD students applying. Only applying to MD programs.

For reference:
step 1 >240
step 2 >240
top of class
very small amount of research
most likely have strong letters

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: drcuddles

cerebral edema

7+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2011
Status
With those stats and being an AMG? Certainely anything over 10 would be silly. Maybe even over 5 unless ur shooting only for the top neuro programs or are socially weird.

Fuzzybear22

2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm currently asking myself the same question. I think cerebral edema is right! I keep hearing the number 10, but for me the situation is more complicated. I'm couples matching (he is doing IM) and we are both 210-215 on Step 1. So I'm aiming for ~30, is that ridiculous or reasonable?

ipodtouch

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status
Probably more for you than the OP. I am in a similar situation: AMG, similar step 1, >240 on step 2, strong letters. I am applying to over 80 programs.

thepretender67

2+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
80 programs is a bit much even with that step 1. I would pick 40-50 max. You will definitely match somewhere respectable with those numbers. It gets very expensive each additional 10 that you select, otherwise there would be no downside to applying to 80.

Duon89

Sun Power
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
In your head
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I heard from current neuro PGY-1 (DO) who got 246? on step 1 and 245? on step 2 applied to only about ~24 programs. The person got into the 2nd choice.
On the other hand, I have talked to a person here (SDN) where he applied to 50 programs (just neuro, higher number including prelim), but that person said 30 should be fine.

So my n=2, range is 24-50 programs. my guess would be between 25-30.

I was aiming for 30...somehow got down to 24..

I get the sense that what matters the most is which program you are applying to rather than how many.
As long as I include 4-5 program that accepts DOs and much less competitive, like VCU, etc, I should be fine i believe.

StartingLine3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
I would err on applying to more than less.

The cost of applying is relatively low compared to risk of not matching.

I have a feeling it is going to be a more competitive year than in past.

My school (top 20) for example has a larger neurology application pool than normal and some of the students fall into the aoa and md, phd group.