number of programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacetygrss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Silly question:

When people say that they are applying to "X" number of Anesthesia programs are you counting 3- and 4-year programs at the same institution once or twice? For instance, if you are applying to Northwesterns 3- and 4-year programs do you count that as 1 or 2 programs when talking to other people? I'm just trying to get a feel as to how my number of programs compares to other people.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, i would count that as one program. I think ERAS counts (and charges) it as only one as well.

Since I just went through the process:

In speaking terms, most people only count the number of physical locations.

On ERAS, you actually are allowed to rank the PGY-2 spots as separate programs. also known as "advanced". You will be instructed to input separate "codes" for each type of position. So, some programs will have two codes. And yet your interview at one place may actually count towards EACH slot (2). Follow?

Here is an example of what I mean:

1)UTSW Categorical ######-#
2)UTSW Advanced ######-#
3) OU College of Medicine Categorical
4) Texas A&M Scott and White Categorical
5) University of Arkansas Categorical
6) University of Chicago Categorical
7) University of Chicago Advanced

One interview for UTSW, one interview for UC. Also, most of these programs (not all) actually will provide for you an intern year for you if you match into one of their PGY-2 spots.