Number of TY/Prelims

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zenmedic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm getting conflicting info on how many TYs/Prelims I should apply to. On average though it seems to be about 20 TYs and 10 prelims. 222 step 1, 259 step 2 for reference. Any recent insight would be great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm getting conflicting info on how many TYs/Prelims I should apply to. On average though it seems to be about 20 TYs and 10 prelims. 222 step 1, 259 step 2 for reference. Any recent insight would be great.

Thanks!
You’ll never get a straight answer. Every TY is it’s own entity in terms of competitiveness. Being chill is more competitive. But the chillest ones are usually rural, which brings the competition down. Obviously the inverse is true as well.

So the 20 TYs you apply to will be very different than the 20 another person applies to.

Another factor is your competitiveness for the advanced specialty. You’re a less desirable candidate if you’ll need accommodations in your schedule to interview and set up away rotations.

Reactions: 1 user