Nurse / PA Question

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by Tylerc, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Tylerc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    whats harder to become an RN or a PA? Why? Do you need to go to nursing school to become an RN? Whats more competitvie/ harder to get into PA program or Nursing?

2. KNC

KNC
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student

Dude......Whats up with the dumb questions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zenman

zenman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's easier to become a PA. All you have to do is get some girl pregnant.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bradt9881

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    lmao!

5. Apparently... I'm a PA by 'impregnation'.

Wahoo

6. UNMorBUST

UNMorBUST Mystery Man
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :lock::lock::lock: Do some reasearch. Geez these questions?

7. RAMPA

RAMPA Pimpiro
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    No. You can become an RN by simply watching ER, House, Scrubs, and Grey's Anatomy weekly.

8. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    pa school is a bit harder. you have to do all of the above + M*A*S*H, chicago hope, and marcus welby, md. if you want to practice in a competitive specialty you also need DX: murder, and a selection of the x-files with medical mysteries.
    and then after that if you want to bridge to md they don't give you any credit so you to repeat all of the above and add trapper john, md and goodfellas(so you know how to treat inferior medical colleagues....)

9. fab4fan

fab4fan TiredRetiredRN
    Verified Account 10+ Year Member

No, you don't need to go to nursing school to become an RN. I got my license in a Cracker Jack Box, and no one has been the wiser.

"Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize..."

10. BlurredFocus

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    :corny: this is me subscribing for amusement.

11. zenman

zenman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Personally, Doc Martin has become my favorite doc show. More realistic than House.

12. Tylerc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was wondering what profession is harder to become a Physician Assistant or a Pharmacist??? & Is it harder to get acepted into a pharm school or PA school??

And do you have to be SUPER smart at math for any of these occupationss?

#12 Tylerc, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  13. Febrifuge

Febrifuge Grizzled Old Newcomer
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Dude, seriously. What do you even mean "which is harder to become?" That question is not as simple as it might look. For an example of what I mean, think of it this way -- which is harder, making a 3-point shot with an NBA point guard covering you, or hitting a slider thrown by a major-league pitcher?

See what I mean? Both things are hard. Both are hard in ways that are kind of alike, but mostly they are hard in ways that are totally different.

As far as math goes, I think all of us probably had some degree of math anxiety at some point in training. The bottom line is, if someone is really interested in a career in nursing (or a career in medicine), they are going to do whatever they need to do, and fix whatever academic problems they might have, in order to move forward and pursue that career. Advanced high-school level algebra is basically all anyone needs in either career.

Your homework, young Jedi, is to go out on the Interwebs, or better yet, the real world, and research the basic question of how medicine and nursing are two different things.

That doesn't mean asking people here to spell out one of the more basic and fundamental ideas underneath everything. The reason people are making fun of your posts is because although you might not know it, these questions get asked dozens of times a year, by people who are probably nice enough and mean well but nonetheless show a serious lack of respect by not preparing at all to have a discussion with us. We really do like to help, but you've got to do your part too. This process of figuring out what career track you should pursue involves you answering at least as many questions as you ask, because ultimately your answers are the important ones.

Good luck to you.

14. fab4fan

fab4fan TiredRetiredRN
    Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Well, pardon me for for my bluntness, but when you ask if you need to go to nursing school to become an RN, that doesn't show a lack of preparation. It's either a sign of profound stupidity or someone who is trolling.

15. zenman

zenman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I still remember the hair stylist (you can always tell them) who shows up in my office for pre-nursing counseling. "I'd like to be a nurse. Now, what is it they do?" :thumbdown:

16. RAMPA

RAMPA Pimpiro
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    the former