Nurse shadowing?

FutureNeurologist2025

Neuroscience is life!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aiming to apply to a few bs/md programs when I'm a senior. My town is very small so it's hard to find shawdowimg and research opportunities, but my local hospital has a nursing program. In the program you get to follow the nurse around into surgery and other things. Do you think bs/md programs would view this negatively since I'm not shadowing a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

The purpose of shadowing is to get an idea of what being a doctor is like. Shadowing a nurse doesn't get you that, so I don't see that it would be helpful. I think it shouldn't hurt either, but I imagine some would wonder if you were actually interested in becoming a nurse and not a doctor, so that could potentially hurt you.

It's not useful

Cold call some family docs or approach the EM dept

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm aiming to apply to a few bs/md programs when I'm a senior. My town is very small so it's hard to find shawdowimg and research opportunities, but my local hospital has a nursing program. In the program you get to follow the nurse around into surgery and other things. Do you think bs/md programs would view this negatively since I'm not shadowing a physician?
No. That's the silliest thing I've heard of.