Nursing Degree to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful8

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would be very thankful for some advice and opinions on my current situation. I have graduated with a BSc (GPA 2.4) and I have now completed 2 out of 4 years of a BScN (nursing with current GPA of 3.88). I hope to do my MCAT - and do very well on it - this upcoming summer. I plan to apply to schools in Australia and Ontario.

I have also had extensive hospital/clinical experience and shadowing physicians. I'm also looking to ask if there are any ECs that would boost up my application (ie. volunteering abroad, but I heard these causes do more damage than good?).

I know my first-degree GPA is very poor - I had to overcome many hurdles during my BSc. I truly cannot see myself being happy doing anything other than medicine, but I also know I have to be realistic. Any opinions or advice? :) Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Since no one has replied, I will!
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/nontraditional-students.110/
Firstly, I would probably say don't even attempt MD schools. Try for D.O. schools. But not without a few years of GPA repair and MCAT studying.

I taught many nurses in the university scene. Hundreds actually.

I'm going to treat you like any other hopeful applicant.

1.) Do you have all your pre-reqs done?

2.) You need to find a way to get your cumulative and science GPA to at least 2.8. I don't know how your nursing grades get calculated by AACOMAS.

3.) Do EC's like research, volunteering, etc.

4.) Don't go to medical school outside of the USA.

5.) I think you will need to put in several more years of GPA repair and MCAT studying.

6.) Call admission committees and ask them what you need to do.

You're very, very, very far away from matriculating into medical school. But its possible with a few years of hard work before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I would be very thankful for some advice and opinions on my current situation. I have graduated with a BSc (GPA 2.4) and I have now completed 2 out of 4 years of a BScN (nursing with current GPA of 3.88). I hope to do my MCAT - and do very well on it - this upcoming summer. I plan to apply to schools in Australia and Ontario.

I have also had extensive hospital/clinical experience and shadowing physicians. I'm also looking to ask if there are any ECs that would boost up my application (ie. volunteering abroad, but I heard these causes do more damage than good?).

I know my first-degree GPA is very poor - I had to overcome many hurdles during my BSc. I truly cannot see myself being happy doing anything other than medicine, but I also know I have to be realistic. Any opinions or advice? :) Thank you

Significant grade improvement, w/ your cGPA being in the 3.3-3.4 range, should occur before you even consider sitting for the MCAT. Schools will want to know why you went back for a BSN if you don't intend on finishing it and practicing as a nurse; it's well-known that nursing science courses are not as rigorous as pre-med ones.

A 2.8 GPA is not high enough. It should at least be a 3.7

Doesn't need to be this high to apply to DO schools successfully.