Nursing route guidance(highschool graduate)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dbox96

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Peace and happiness everyone

Its been a year since Ive graduated high school. I wanted to get a job and buy a car and get situated just a bit. And time has passed so quickly, i regret that decision. I could have gotten around on a bus or something

I want to become an orthopedic surgeon but where I stand in life, my mother and I's current living situation is making me want to get into nursing and start working asap.

Ive been hearing so many mixed answers as to what the best route is to take for nursing. I will begin school in the fall. I dont know if I should go to a community college or go to a private college like keiser or concorde(I live in south FL)

Im scared bc I dont know if nursing recruiters care about where you went to obtain your degree.

I have zero knowledge of nursing and how I should go about this situation. but I hear this forum would be the best place.

Idk if I should go to a hospital and talk to nurses or professors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps, I searched my question on the forum, im not sure if i used it correctly, but I couldnt find what i was looking for.

You will be much better off going to allnurses.com for your answers, but to give you a little advice I would try to stay away from the private colleges in Florida for a few reasons; recently a college closed their entire program and everyone in the nursing program was out of luck, that might be a fluke, but I wouldn't take my chance with that amount of money. Also the community colleges, while it takes longer to get into the programs, are much, much cheaper. Make sure you get B's or above in all your science pre-reqs if you wish to move on in the future. Good luck, try allnurses.com

Dbox96

Reaction score
You will be much better off going to allnurses.com for your answers, but to give you a little advice I would try to stay away from the private colleges in Florida for a few reasons; recently a college closed their entire program and everyone in the nursing program was out of luck, that might be a fluke, but I wouldn't take my chance with that amount of money. Also the community colleges, while it takes longer to get into the programs, are much, much cheaper. Make sure you get B's or above in all your science pre-reqs if you wish to move on in the future. Good luck, try allnurses.com

Thanks you very much. I will go there now.

You're not wrong about that. I don't think they shut down the program but there was a situation about putting it on probation due to one of the directors of nursing leaving. I could be wrong as well. I don't have the full info but thank you for bringing it up.

BreathDeep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you jump to making a decision that will shape the rest of your entire life, stop for a second, take a deep breath, and think about what you really want. Don't jump into a decision just because you want to start working right away. What happens in 20 or 30 years, once it's most likely too late to start over, if you wake up one morning and think to yourself, "****, I wish I went to medical school back when I was young!"?

Do you want to be a doctor, or do you want to be a nurse? Keep in mind that while they have similarities they are still extremely different.

If you really and only want to become a surgeon, then that's what you should do. If there's anything else in the world you could imagine doing other medicine, then you should do that thing instead.

As for nursing, why do you want to be a nurse? Is it because you enjoy medicine, you love caring for people, and you think you'll love the job? Remember too, nursing is hardcore. The nurses I work with bust their asses every day - it's definitely not for the feint of heart. It has to be something you really want or you'll be burnt out in no time.

And lastly, if medical school just really isn't in the stars for you...what about other health professions too? Have you considered Respiratory Therapy, Registered Dietitian, Clinical Lab Scientist, Radiation Therapist, Occupational/Physical Therapy, or Speech Pathology?

There's tons of stuff out there. The only thing I'm suggesting is to not jump into such a big decision without fully considering your options first.