Nursing school financial aid question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstrub

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had information on how much money one can borrow (FAFSA) for nursing school. I am trying to figure out how much spending money my wife will have if she borrows the maximum. Do nursing students tend to have to have jobs while in school? I am hoping she can survive purely on grants and loans.

Thanks,
G

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recall the amount, but it's the same as for any undergrad degree. I worked except for my final year.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had information on how much money one can borrow (FAFSA) for nursing school. I am trying to figure out how much spending money my wife will have if she borrows the maximum. Do nursing students tend to have to have jobs while in school? I am hoping she can survive purely on grants and loans.

Thanks,
G

Personally, I don't know the amount of time clinicals take away from the chance to work a job. I'm sure she can get a small part-time job during the lat hours of the night or on the weekends.

I started to run out of money when I was a senior in college. I was out $10,000 of goverment funds my senior year. The only thing I could do was take out a personal loan. There is a set limit amount of money you can get from FAFSA. She might be best off talking to a person from FAFSA or the school fin. aid office.

She'll be able to get whatever the Federal limits are on both subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans, as well as Perkins loans. If she qualifies for Perkins loans, they can be partially forgiven upon graduation since she will be a nurse. It will all depend on her FAFSA score related to income.