nursing school question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basilisk312

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
a friend of mine is studing at SUNY ALbany where there is no nursing program. what are the prerequisites to go to a nursing school????? what are the required classes to be considered for nursing????

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak to the school I am in, as it varies from school to school and varies a lot depending on whether you're getting a bachelor's or associates. I'm getting my bachelors and in addition to all the general ed stuff (poly sci, english, govt, biology, math etc.) we had to have developmental psych 1 & 2, child psych, statistics, chem 1 & 2, anatomy and physiolgy 1 & 2, microbiology, sociology etc.. I can't even remember all of them. Where I'm going I took pharmacology and pathophysiology my junior year, but they are moving those to pre-reqs because those were two classes that caused people to fail out of the program. Good luck to you!

she is getting a bacjelor's degree at suny albany. what are the general prereqs she has to take for any nursing school

Members don't see this ad :)
They vary from school to school. In general, if she's getting a BS in science, she should have most if not all of them covered, but again, it depends on the program.

Originally posted by daisy3146
I can only speak to the school I am in, as it varies from school to school and varies a lot depending on whether you're getting a bachelor's or associates. I'm getting my bachelors and in addition to all the general ed stuff (poly sci, english, govt, biology, math etc.) we had to have developmental psych 1 & 2, child psych, statistics, chem 1 & 2, anatomy and physiolgy 1 & 2, microbiology, sociology etc.. I can't even remember all of them. Where I'm going I took pharmacology and pathophysiology my junior year, but they are moving those to pre-reqs because those were two classes that caused people to fail out of the program. Good luck to you!

it's pretty much the same in my around (northern jersey)
but they have what is called the basic 5
anatomy 1 and 2
psych 1, develpmental psych
& microbiology...
I needed those before I started nursing classes but..

at the other school I was at I need chem 1, and inorganic biochem... schools vary

but I'm guessing antomy 1&2 and psych 1, and developmental are pretty standard prerequisites...

I am assuming that there is no website or anything useful you nursing students used to check for requirements or info on schools outside of the school websites themselves....yeah?

my friend is interested too but all the differences in requirements amongst the schools is kinda frustrating.