nursing school question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jelly belly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a friend who went to a prestigious college where she fulfilled all of the premed requirements and has now decided that instead of being a doctor she would rather be a nurse or nurse practioner.

What does she need to do to fulfill the requirements to apply for nursing school? I have looked this question up online, but none of the info I find addresses the fact that she already has a science based undergrad degree. I ask to see if I can save her time and money in the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have a friend who went to a prestigious college where she fulfilled all of the premed requirements and has now decided that instead of being a doctor she would rather be a nurse or nurse practioner.

What does she need to do to fulfill the requirements to apply for nursing school? I have looked this question up online, but none of the info I find addresses the fact that she already has a science based undergrad degree. I ask to see if I can save her time and money in the process.

If she went to a prestigious college she should know that if she wants to get into nursing school she should contact a nursing school. :thumbdown:

Hi,

If she has a bachelors there are a number of programs that take someone with another bachelors and put them through a crash BSN. Takes about a year. There are also direct entry NP programs. Usually referred to as MEPN. Part of the issue is how employable direct entry NPs are. This of course ignores the whole DNP thing where there are also direct entry programs. There are lots of discussions about this on allnurses in the NP section and there are discussions about getting into MEPN programs on the graduate nurse section.

http://allnurses.com/forums/f34/

The other issue is getting into nursing school. I'm not sure about the MEPN programs but depending on location nursing school can be very difficult to get into. The direct entry BSN programs tend to be expensive. The community colleges are cheaper but again depending on location wait lists of more than 3 years are not uncommon. On the other hand if someone can travel there are community college programs in non urban areas with no wait lists.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Members don't see this ad :)
If she went to a prestigious college she should know that if she wants to get into nursing school she should contact a nursing school. :thumbdown:

book smarts do not always equal street smarts...... :laugh:

book smarts do not always equal street smarts...... :laugh:

True, lol. CoreO is such a nice guy. When I see comments such as the nurse who asked, "how does one get into massage school" I start to wonder about our educational system. Duh, contact a massage school, maybe?

By the way, who do I contact about my driver's license?

It's very sad that you guys have picked the field of health care. There used to be a time when people entered this field to actually help people.

Obviously, my friend has called around to schools and they have referred her to a list of requirements on their web pages which is obviously not helpful. The reason to post here in this forum is because there are almost always individuals who were in a similar situation who have hands on experience and are generally helpful. Unfortunately when you post in these forums, you also have to deal with pompous, sarcastic and unhelpful jerks.

Thanks to the one responder who posted something useful.

It's very sad that you guys have picked the field of health care. There used to be a time when people entered this field to actually help people.

Obviously, my friend has called around to schools and they have referred her to a list of requirements on their web pages which is obviously not helpful. The reason to post here in this forum is because there are almost always individuals who were in a similar situation who have hands on experience and are generally helpful. Unfortunately when you post in these forums, you also have to deal with pompous, sarcastic and unhelpful jerks.

My dear, everywhere you go you will realize that some people should not be communicating with human beings much less to treat them. Some of the people here are not even qualified to be in your trash bin. About your friend, there are many programs around in which she can apply. Go to www.allnurses.com and you will get constructive help.

Actually, I've been so busy helping people for so many years that I have little patience for adults who should be able to function in today's society, especially with so many resources that were unavailable to me when I had questions.

Perhaps you should read Carl Whitakers books or "Provocative Therapy" in order to be more effective in your role as enabler.

Remember, my post is to help you grow...

Actually, I've been so busy helping people for so many years that I have little patience for adults who should be able to function in today's society, especially with so many resources that were unavailable to me when I had questions.

Perhaps you should read Carl Whitakers books or "Provocative Therapy" in order to be more effective in your role as enabler.

what he said.......

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I think helping people for "many years" has gone to your head.

sorry about the responses. this is the type of stuff you can expect at SDN. i'd suggest posting this stuff at a different forum (far away from SDN), where i guarantee people will be more helpful.

I think helping people for "many years" has gone to your head.

Well of course it does :laugh:

But I'm still laughing...

This teenager just came in with abdomen pain. Finally get the full story. He did 50 situps yesterday. Jeezzz....hopefully he will be a physician someday, lol!

This teenager just came in with abdomen pain. Finally get the full story. He did 50 situps yesterday. Jeezzz....hopefully he will be a physician someday, lol!
Zenman,

I honestly believe you are one of those who forgets where you are coming from. I pray and hope that you will get paid for what you have done to people's feelings here. You have no humility and I think you will be humbled very soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zenman,

I honestly believe you are one of those who forgets where you are coming from. I pray and hope that you will get paid for what you have done to people's feelings here. You have no humility and I think you will be humbled very soon.

Julie, I am very glad you are doing better. However, you must remember we all have different personalities. If you for example, were ugly and your mother dressed you funny, I would tell you, then take you to get a make-over and shopping. Others might just laugh at you behind your back for years. Now are you clear on that?

Now, you might want to take any references to being religious off your posts when you make comments such as, "I pray and hope you get paid for what you have done..." and "Some of the people here are not even qualified to be in your trash bin."

And notice that Jelly resorted to name calling, "pompous, sarcastic and unhelpful jerks."

I would never treat another person like you two have done.

Julie, I am very glad you are doing better. However, you must remember we all have different personalities. If you for example, were ugly and your mother dressed you funny, I would tell you, then take you to get a make-over and shopping. Others might just laugh at you behind your back for years. Now are you clear on that?

Now, you might want to take any references to being religious off your posts when you make comments such as, "I pray and hope you get paid for what you have done..." and "Some of the people here are not even qualified to be in your trash bin."

And notice that Jelly resorted to name calling, "pompous, sarcastic and unhelpful jerks."

1) agree with the religious comment (makes you sound self-righteous)

2) this dude has some issues he hasn't dealt with, so i would just ignore most of what he says (except for #1 above).

You're pretty arrogant for a shaman/nurse. I'd bring it down a notch.

You're pretty arrogant for a shaman/nurse. I'd bring it down a notch.

People who know me think differently. As I said before, I like the way I deal with clients(and much is a product of my training and my own personality) as it gets to the meat of the matter quickly, and they like that. It's like going to years of therapy and then running into a therapist who gets you on the right track in one-two sessions. The same happen to me in my psych clinical supervision (have you had any).

Why should I change?

Obviously, my friend has called around to schools and they have referred her to a list of requirements on their web pages which is obviously not helpful.

I'm an ex asst prof in a school of nursing. What your friend needs is not to waste time asking others what to do but to call a school and get an appt to talk with someone, even if it is just a faculty member. She will have to be pushy, persistent, do her homework and do it herself.

Good point. Sorry about the rails, remark. I do think the diploma nurse would be better prepared out of the lot of them, FWIW. Why? More years hands-on clinical training in school.

Then again, I have a personal bias...;)

I don't get it. If she can access a list of requirements on the school web page, then what are you asking for?

What does she need to do to fulfill the requirements to apply for nursing school?

take all the classes they require as prerequisites. have any needed degrees. then submit an application. this is no different than applying anywhere for anything. if your friend can't even read a web page then maybe this isn't the career for her...

I am so happy to know that you nave seen the changes in me. However, when we communicate, it should be with tact. I am not saying you are a bad person but you need a little teaching on "netiquette". No, I am not self-righteuous. I, too have made mistakes here but I always believe it pays to be nice.

Farmer Jane,

I guess what I was after was how can she use her undergraduate degree in science to help meet some of the nursing prereqs (or can she)? The point being to see if she could avoid the cost of fulfilling some of her prereqs by taking classes at a community college, etc. And no, advice of this nature is NOT listed on a school website so please spare me the unhelpful comments about my perceived lack of intelligence.

I did take Zenman's advice and told her to contact the schools directly...rudely given but solid advice.

However, it's painfully obvious that this was the wrong forum in which to field this question except for several responses which directed me elsewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Foreverlaur,

I used to know it all when I was a premed too.

Good luck to you.

Foreverlaur,

I used to know it all when I was a premed too.

Good luck to you.

Maybe you aren't getting your question across right. Of course she can use her science degree to fulfill nursing requirements if she took those classes. Any prerequisites that were not fulfilled by her previous degree she can take anywhere that is accredited, including a community college.

And just for the record, I'm not premed. I'm getting my BSN, then hoping to become a PA. However, Pre-PA is not an option and Pre-Med was the next best thing.

ForeverLaur is exactly right. Any classes she took while earning her undergrad count as nursing pre-reqs. I still honestly don't understand the problem here. She's either taken the classes or she hasn't.

I don't know why you're upset. I'm happy to help if I know what the problem is. I think her best course of action is to decide where she wants to attend and set up a meeting with an advisor. Tell her to bring in a copy of her transcript so she can go over it with the advisor and figure out what she has and what are her deficiencies.

From a poster on allnurses:

"Where is the best place to look for finding a school nursing job.":confused:

I like allnurses. It's helped me to cope with the nurses I work with and suppress the anger.

But really, if you want to quote the really ridiculous threads, you can do way better than the school nurse one.

Yes, but it's the only one related to this thread...