Nursing school to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful320

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to nursing school before med school so I have a backup career in case I don't get into med school. Do y'all think this is a good idea and will the nursing school courses count towards my sGPA?

Members don't see this ad.

No on many degrees to the first question and yes/no to the second question. Anything beginning with NURS on your transcript (most of jr/sr. year) will not count towards your sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing courses won't count because they often have the NURS prefix. Also,
You would have to take the pre-requs on top of the nursing courses. That can be difficult for some people.
If you want to be a nurse go to nursing school. If you want to be a physician, get a bachelors degree and apply to med school.

Reactions: 1 user
That's certainly a bad idea. Med schools generally look down on going straight from nursing school to med school. You're taking the spot of someone in nursing school who actually wants to be there and pursue a career in nursing. Plus, it makes you seem kind of flakey and may cause med schools to seriously doubt your commitment to medicine.

First of all, you have no time to study for MCAT, BIOL/CHEM/PHYS/OCHEM etc, and you don't have time to do ECs as well. Do not use nursing as your back-up plan. Save the seat for someone who really likes it. In addition, you will regret when you are going to switch to pre-med in sopho or junior because you just waste tons of time and money.

As I'm reading this thread this ad is at the bottom of the screen on my phone :laugh:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 1 user
This is something out mods can answer better, but I suspect Lawper is right on the mark.

I've seen other SDNers banned for TOS violations like cursing/flaming members, or sending harassing PMs, or being too obvious as trolls.

That's what I was just wondering. What are common reasons for being banned? @Goro

Nursing courses won't count because they often have the NURS prefix. Also,
You would have to take the pre-requs on top of the nursing courses. That can be difficult for some people.
If you want to be a nurse go to nursing school. If you want to be a physician, get a bachelors degree and apply to med school.
Quite right!

terrible idea since your nursing adviser won't know much about pre-med except that they don't recommend it, emailing your dean, who hates the fact that nursing pre meds exist, for course overloads time and time again isn't too fun (because there's literally no way you can do without course overloads even with full summers), and you'll have about 4 professors in total who you can get a science LOR from. + nursing sciences are easier, but to get As you still have to study a decent amount so it's easy to damage your gpa and there's very little flexibility in a nursing schedule.

But depending on your school the sciences may be different. All of my lower level sciences were under bio and most schools have transfers taking gen chem I & II so you could take that instead of the nurs chem (though for us the prefix was chem as well) so it could count towards your sGPA depending on how your school lists the courses (basically jr/sr year won't count towards your sGPA).

In light of the banhammer discussion on here, what about those censored curse words? Do those count as being banned?
Lots of users seem to use them, so I don't think that should be an issue? You wold get warned if it was, right?