Nursing student turned MD wannabe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acethecomeback

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a current BSN student. I'll spare you the story of my conversion to the medical model, but I've realized that I have to at least try to pursue med school. It doesn't feel like a decision so much as a necessity for me.

So, the rundown.
-I currently have a 4.0 gpa in my nursing program.
-I failed a math class many years ago during my first semester of college
-To take med school pre-reqs, I'll have to retake the failed math class (it's a pre-req for gen chem and physics at my uni.)
-Then gen chem, ochem, physics, bio, biochem.

Even with that F all those years ago, my cGPA is a 3.70.

Can an isolated F that long ago be forgiven? Has anyone experienced this?

Also, I'm wanting to get a move on with applying, but I've still got those pre-reqs to finish. My first pick school doesn't have set academic requirements for admission, but they "strongly recommend" the bio/chem/phys sequences.

I'm wondering if I can take gen chem/bio/precal this year and teach myself enough physics/ochem/biochem via Khan Academy, etc. to do well on the MCAT next Spring so that I can apply for matriculation in 2019, then take the rest of the pre-reqs after the MCAT but before matriculation to be better prepared for med school courses (assuming I get in.) What are the consequences of a poor MCAT score the first time taken? Would it not be worth the risk?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I strongly advise against "teaching yourself" ochem and biochem. I am also a non trad, and attempted this to avoid waiting yet another year to apply. It didn't take long for me to decide on a gap year, and thus a stronger MCAT score.

The MCAT, for me at least, is like no other exam you've ever taken. It is such a huge part of your application, that it really is worth taking the extra time to really get it right the first time.

I ended up taking ochem 1 and 2 prior to my MCAT, and "teaching myself" biochem through edX. Ended up with a 505 on my first attempt, which is okay. Thankfully my 4.0 sGPA helps the lower MCAT score. (I'm preparing to retake just in case I don't get in this cycle.)

As for the pre-calc, as long as you get an A or B on your retake, I wouldn't worry about the F. Adcoms will look at your med school prereqs and GPA more than anything else. You'll probably find it much easier now as well, since you've gotten through the nursing program which in my opinion is much more challenging than pre calc.

I hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users