Nursing Student Volunteering Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i5hina

AllopathicJay
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, quick question, would a nursing student's clinical experience count as volunteering towards a medical school application or not. To include, i've had clinicals in nursing homes, and three or four different hospitals. About 8-16 hours a week during the semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, quick question, would a nursing student's clinical experience count as volunteering towards a medical school application or not. To include, i've had clinicals in nursing homes, and three or four different hospitals. About 8-16 hours a week during the semester.

I don't see how. You're not really volunteering, you're receiving credit (instead of money) for the experience.

Thanks for answering my question. To clarify your answer, i don't receive any credit for my nursing clinical; its a o credit clinical. But i get what you're trying to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that, from what I've read, ad comms want you to have clinical experience and some volunteering in the community. This would cover your clinical experience aspect, so at least you got something out of it.

Hmm...it's definitely clinical experience, but I would hesitate to list it separately on AMCAS as it's technically part of your coursework. I personally did not list it as clinical experience on AMCAS instead I listed an externship program I did as a nursing student and the time I spent working afterward. But the shear fact that you completed a nursing program will inform the adcom that you have clinical experience so I wouldn't fret about it much. Just add in some volunteering as others have said.

I would agree with the others. It definitely does not county toward volunteering, but it is great clinical experience. Good luck! :luck: