Nursing to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewRN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,:hello:
Im new to this forum & i don't know where to leave my questions. So i apologise & kindly answer my questions.
I'm a Registered nurse, compelted my BSN in India. Got 6 years of ICU experience. I'm currently working at one of the hospital in Kansas state(USA). working in NICU as a RN. I would like to become a Pediatrician MD.

I recently planned to do MSN;but my long term goal is become a doctor. So i would like to do my MD & my husband is also encouraging me now. Since we came to US just before 6-8 months, i don't have much idea to enter into the medical college.

If anybody could help me with this, it'll be great help for my future.
1.As a BSN, am i eligible for MD?
2.can you tell me how many years should i spend to complete my MD?
3.Is there any school, college or universites that you recommend to me?
4.HOw much will it cost approximately?
5.What are the pre-required courses should i complete?
6.Is that possible to do my MD while i'm working part time as RN?(to pay for tuition)
7. Any university at kansas or Missouri that offer BSN to MD programme?

Thanks in advance
Jasmine

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,:hello:
Im new to this forum & i don't know where to leave my questions. So i apologise & kindly answer my questions.
I'm a Registered nurse, compelted my BSN in India. Got 6 years of ICU experience. I'm currently working at one of the hospital in Kansas state(USA). working in NICU as a RN. I would like to become a Pediatrician MD.

I recently planned to do MSN;but my long term goal is become a doctor. So i would like to do my MD & my husband is also encouraging me now. Since we came to US just before 6-8 months, i don't have much idea to enter into the medical college.

If anybody could help me with this, it'll be great help for my future.
1.As a BSN, am i eligible for MD?
2.can you tell me how many years should i spend to complete my MD?
3.Is there any school, college or universites that you recommend to me?
4.HOw much will it cost approximately?
5.What are the pre-required courses should i complete?
6.Is that possible to do my MD while i'm working part time as RN?(to pay for tuition)
7. Any university at kansas or Missouri that offer BSN to MD programme?

Thanks in advance
Jasmine

Hi,

I don't want to sound too discouraging, but you have a very long road ahead of you if you want to do this. Yes, with a BSN you can do medical school. Unfortunately, every medical school I'm aware of requires at least 6 semesters (3 years) of undergraduate work completed in the US or Canada. My med school has a significant number of international students but ALL of them did their undergrad work in the US or Canada.

The pre-reqs are: a year of general chemistry, a year of physics, a year of organic chemistry, and a year of biology (all with lab) plus volunteer work and shadowing (although I'm guessing you can get away with not shadowing).

Most medical schools will allow you to split years so that you can do whatever you want (including working), but if you split every year, that turns 4 years of medical school into 8 years of medical school. If you want to become a pediatrician, you would require another three years of residency. So, best case (if you were to start today and not split any years of medical school to work): you'll be a pediatrician in 10 years. If you split, that turns into at least 14 years (assuming that you get into med school right after you complete undergrad). I have never heard of of an accelerated BSN-->MD degree, so there's really no way to hurry this. You may want to consider becoming a pediatric nurse practitioner instead of a MD (since it'll be much faster). Or, if you complete your MD equivalent (MBBS?) in India, then you can try to get a US residency spot in pediatrics, which would probably save you some time (although there's no guarantee you would get a residency).

Good luck with all of this and I'm sorry that I can't give you any better news.