Nutritionist & Public Health in Pharmacy

Started by quitejaded
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

quitejaded

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone is pushing me to go to pharmacy school. I said, no. I want to provide people with ways to stay healthy via DIET and lifestyle, not drugs. But I also acknowledge that taking drugs can be very helpful (I'm not one of those anti-drug people).

Now, I'm almost graduating with an undergrad in... not pre-pharm. I have a low GPA. And I'm scared that I may not succeed in my career choice (Like I said, I want to provide people with quality information and opinions about health/beauty/lifestyle. Whether I have my own TV show or just a website, but I want to make money) right away. I'm realizing now how difficult it is. If I got a Pharm.D., I would be able to easily find a job as I wait for my other passion (which would be related to my work, right?) to flourish.

Does anyone know if there is a program that is related to my interests in holistic health and nutrition?
 
Everyone is pushing me to go to pharmacy school. I said, no. I want to provide people with ways to stay healthy via DIET and lifestyle, not drugs. But I also acknowledge that taking drugs can be very helpful (I'm not one of those anti-drug people).

Now, I'm almost graduating with an undergrad in... not pre-pharm. I have a low GPA. And I'm scared that I may not succeed in my career choice (Like I said, I want to provide people with quality information and opinions about health/beauty/lifestyle. Whether I have my own TV show or just a website, but I want to make money) right away. I'm realizing now how difficult it is. If I got a Pharm.D., I would be able to easily find a job as I wait for my other passion (which would be related to my work, right?) to flourish.

Does anyone know if there is a program that is related to my interests in holistic health and nutrition?

I think I'm gonna make you quite more jaded.
You can't "easily find a job" in pharmacy anymore, as most markets are saturated with pharmacists, so really, after seeing how job needs fluctuate over just a few years, I say go for what you want to do, as long as it's not completely unrealistic. Go be a nutritionist, as that is what you want to do, and life will be more bearable than if you are a pharmacist and don't like your job and moreover are forced to work either the night shift or part-time. Nutritionists don't starve.
 
Everyone is pushing me to go to pharmacy school. I said, no. I want to provide people with ways to stay healthy via DIET and lifestyle, not drugs. But I also acknowledge that taking drugs can be very helpful (I'm not one of those anti-drug people).

Now, I'm almost graduating with an undergrad in... not pre-pharm. I have a low GPA. And I'm scared that I may not succeed in my career choice (Like I said, I want to provide people with quality information and opinions about health/beauty/lifestyle. Whether I have my own TV show or just a website, but I want to make money) right away. I'm realizing now how difficult it is. If I got a Pharm.D., I would be able to easily find a job as I wait for my other passion (which would be related to my work, right?) to flourish.

Does anyone know if there is a program that is related to my interests in holistic health and nutrition?

Bikram yoga. You also might want to look into those commercials that you see at 3 in the morning about Master Cleanse.

Read some of the other posts in here before you comment...notice how the vast majority are about how difficult it is to find a good job now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am under the impression that when you do get a job, it will be worth the wait. In my community, everyone and their dog is getting a pharmacy degree. Pharmacists are pushing young people to join them in getting pharmacy jobs. I don't hear this kind of "hard to find a job" from anyone but people on the internet.

Pharmacists make double what a nutritionist can make, but if the job market is as difficult as any other market (including nutrition), you're right that I might be miserable.
 
If your passion is nutrition, then be a nutritionist...makes sense. All of the nutritionists I've worked with have been very well respected members of the healthcare team. They make a decent living and have better lifestyles. There are pharmacists who work with nutrition, but it is mostly TPN. Seriously, if you are passionate about something, then go for it. Being a pharmacist really isn't that flashy as a career that I would give up my passion for.
 
everyone and their dog is getting a pharmacy degree.

Precisely. And keep in mine there is a 4-year gap between someone entering pharmacy school and someone becoming a pharmacist. "Everyone and their dog" enters pharmacy school because there are jobs, and 4 years later, boom, they have to compete against everyone else, and everyone else's dogs. 4 years ago (and even 2 years ago) there was a shortage. Now there is a surplus in many states. This is what I mean by the job market changing so quickly.
 
Everyone is pushing me to go to pharmacy school. I said, no. I want to provide people with ways to stay healthy via DIET and lifestyle, not drugs. But I also acknowledge that taking drugs can be very helpful (I'm not one of those anti-drug people).

Now, I'm almost graduating with an undergrad in... not pre-pharm. I have a low GPA. And I'm scared that I may not succeed in my career choice (Like I said, I want to provide people with quality information and opinions about health/beauty/lifestyle. Whether I have my own TV show or just a website, but I want to make money) right away. I'm realizing now how difficult it is. If I got a Pharm.D., I would be able to easily find a job as I wait for my other passion (which would be related to my work, right?) to flourish.

Does anyone know if there is a program that is related to my interests in holistic health and nutrition?

Acupuncture? Chiropractic? DO? All better options.