NV schools for CA applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benignradical

Reaction score
I know the NV schools aren't very OOS friendly, but how do they view CA applicants? Is it worth applying there as one? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When I asked for feedback they stated that they had other applicants with stronger ties to Nevada. I have family that live in Nevada, grew up spending a few weeks every summer out there and still visit once or twice every year so I'm assuming they generally want to see that you've lived, worked, or spent a chunk of your time in Nevada. That's my guess at least. I also know that Reno will accept CA applicants but I think only from a few particular counties unless you get an OOS waiver which you can apply for.

Reactions: 1 user
It really depends where you're from in CA. For UNR Med, if you're from one of the CA counties that borders Northern Nevada (Placer, Eldorado, Lassen, Sierra, Nevada, etc.) then you've got a real chance.

Second to this would be if you were from very rural counties in CA and you have a STRONG tie to NV can play that card heavily (Shasta, Amador, Eureka, Plumas, Butte, Mono, etc). Strong ties include: You've been working in Northern Nevada for over the past year, your husband/wife lives in Northern Nevada or is already a student at UNR Med, and maybe something else too but these must be legit uber strong ties.

After these two categories you're pretty much just a regular OOS applicant and you're unlikely to gain admission no matter how rad you look on paper. Don't waste your money.

I can't really speak to UNLV SOM but I can say that there's plenty of Nevada applicants already (specifically those from Las Vegas or Southern Nevada). I'd imagine they also give strong preference to in-state over OOS.

Reactions: 1 user