NW versus UChicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicago_md2004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on these programs would be appreciated. Which would you rank higher and why? Also, anyone know more about the moonlighting option at UofC? Are they still q4 as r2's? NW's call schedule seems a lot more cush, but I feel I'd come out a better trained physician from UofC and in a better position for fellowships.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... somebody's gotta be choosing between these two. Still no thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I ranked NW on top of U of Chicago. Seems like both places get big time fellowships, with NW residents placing better for cardiology, and UC better for GI (2000-2003 fellowship placement results). With the new ward based system at NW, I see no difference in autonomy between the two institutions.

With that being said, I would rather live in downtown Chicago than Hyde park.

please take what i say w/ more than a grain of salt (i'm a prelim medicine in the city, at neither program), but...

NWU: an excellent medicine program. since they went to the ward system and instituted a night float, i think that they are in an excellent position to allow you the guided autonomy that used to only be the advantage of UofC and UIC (amongst academic programs w/in the city limits). from my friends at NWU, it seems that the ward system takes the interesting patients, the standard broing stuff goes to the hospitalist service (e.g. anticoagulation), and you don't have to touch bases w/ ten different attendings on your ten patients. be very cognizant of what you're getting into though, NMH is an extremely busy hospital and will continue to be one. many of the residents that i've met are very intelligent and motivated, and the structure of their day seems pretty cool. you also rotate at the west side VA at get to have that kind of change of experience. the nursing and ancillary staff are very good/excellent at NMH and pretty crappy at the VA, the hospital rivals many hotels for surroundings and service, and it's in a good part of town. their graduates place very well for fellowship. but remember that their patient population is mainly upper middle class to rich a**mofos (this is the kind of hospital where many of your pateints are having their Jaguars/BMWs/Mercedes/Bentlys/Rolls Royces... valet parked) that can be very demanding [but also have good insurance]. (i did interview there for my prelim).

UofC: again an excellent medicine program. surroundings and nursing/ancillary staff not the best, much more scut, often poor/indigent pateint population w/ the complicated and depressing physical and socio-economic issues of poverty. your coworkers are outstanding, and fellowship placement is great as well. had a reputation for being a bit malignant (at least for chicago), i dunno how it has changed. (i chose not to interview there for my prelim).

if i were you going into categorical medicine i would add in the personality of the program into the mix. it's so hard to quantify or even put into words, but figure out where you'll fit in best (did you like the residents/attendings/PD/chair, were they happy and enthusiastic about their program and experience, can you see yourself at that institution for 3-7 years, what kind of hospital do you want to work in and what patient population do you want to serve...)

hope this helps, and good luck. you'll be at a good place wherever you go.

I am ranking UChicago ahead of Northwestern...I know I will get good training at both, but as far as fellowships, I would like to sure that I at least start with a better name. Also, the patient diversity at UChicago is pretty tough to beat, unless you want to suffer through three years at Cook County. Somehow, I am having a hard time envisioning undiagnosed TB in an HIV patient at Northwestern on a daily basis...the Jaguar types may have an objection :)

With that being said, I would rather live in downtown Chicago than Hyde park. [/B]

Funny, I didn't know that matching at the U of C meant that you were prohibited from living anywhere else in the city. Why would you want to live near where you work anyway, no matter where it is? Talk about unhealthy.

well, i wouldn't be so harsh on c_md'04 re living near where you work. but i agree that you don't have to live that close (though i would advise to one to live at least w/in a short drive/train ride away during intern yearn)

sure, hyde park is not necessarily the most exciting place to live as there aren't as many restaurants, theaters, movie theaters, bars... but it's a nice enough neighborhood w/ lovely tree-lined streets and the charm of the gothic revival UofC (as with any part of town you have to be smart and self aware re crime).

as far as i understand it, moany/most of the residents at UofC choose to live downtown, near northside, lakeview, or lincoln or wicker park. remember that the hours you're gonna be working mean that your travel times aren't exactly at the peak of rush hour... and most ppl's commutes are pretty okay.

Both are good programs, but Chicago is on the slide, Northwestern is on the rise. However, having interviewed at Northwestern, I think it's difficult to understand the true lack of autonomy at a place like that (regardless of ward systems) if you don't have a frame of reference to work with. Northwestern carries a huge reputation - great place to go into academics/research/fellowship. Chicago will probably train you to be a better physician.