NY City and Long Island Progs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has had any experience with the NY City and/or Long Island programs could you post them... or if you don't feel comfortable, you can PM me. I'm between radiology and another field and I'm unsure of things like stats needed to get in as well as the various quality of programs... which ones are good and which ones too avoid.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

anybody ever respond to this thread by PM? anybody know anything more? any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you try auntminnie? You are more likely to get a response there. From what I could tell about NYC and Long Island, posters on AM show there is a wide variety of programs, so as with the rest of radiology, apply broadly. Good luck.

If anyone has had any experience with the NY City and/or Long Island programs could you post them... or if you don't feel comfortable, you can PM me. I'm between radiology and another field and I'm unsure of things like stats needed to get in as well as the various quality of programs... which ones are good and which ones too avoid.

Thanks so much!

I can't give you numbers. The most prestigious programs, based on a collective subjective hearsay (FWIW) are NYU and Cornell. This is followed by Columbia, then (a distant then) Mt. Sinai. You need very competitive stats to get into these compared to comparable academic caliber (whatever that means) places in other parts of the country. These programs are about as tough to get into as Mallinckrodt (Wash U) in St. Louis. But none of them is routinely mentioned in the same breath as MIR, Hopkins, MGH, Brigham, Duke, UCSF, Penn etc (not to start another 'whats the best program?' thread).

With that said, there are still plenty of programs in the tristate area that span the spectrum of competitiveness. If you have 'decent' stats, you should have no problem getting into the area.

Hans. What state do you train in? Just curious. Do you really look like your icon?

http://radiology.matchapplicants.com

It is most definitely inflated (as people who are superstars are more likely to post), but it seems to be the source that most people go by.

I usually subtract 5-10 points from the average interviewee Step 1 scores posted for each program. I don't have any logical reason for this, but it helps me keep my sanity in a sea of 250s and 50% AOAs.