NY Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdbrain316

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done an externship with AMC? Is there any particular service that you would recommend working with (internal med, interventional radiology/endoscopy, any particular surgeon)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi - I did an externship with the AMC last summer and am doing another one this summer. The person to contact is Lauren Klinger. What are you interested in? I did a week-long rotation on Neuro, internal medicine and surgery.
if you're interested in neuro - the AMC is the place to go, both Drs. McCue and West are BRILLIANT and very eager to teach.
Internal medicine - there is really no bad choice here. I shadowed Dr. Palma, who is fantastic and very interactive with the students.
Surgery - i worked with Dr. Kovak - she was wonderful - i don't know the other surgeons too well.
Radiology - Dr. Fischetti is the person to shadow - he hilarious and very eager to teach as well.

Let me know if I can help with anything else :)

I'm doing an externship there this summer! I think one week in emergency and one week in Imed. I'm super psyched!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing an externship there this summer! I think one week in emergency and one week in Imed. I'm super psyched!

How far in advance did you have to schedule your externship? I havent really started looking into externships/ preceptorships but I know some of my class mates have already started :/

I started contacting places for this summer last fall. I knew I wanted to get in some of the big-name places (AMC, Angell, etc), so I scheduled a bit in advance. For some of the less popular ones, you probably don't need to be so proactive.