NY GPR list - need some guidance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloorMatt

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've narrowed down the NY GPRs based on location but still have quite a few. If you know anything about these gprs pleaaase comment below. I've tried the search feature but theres really no recent info on here. I'll also be contacting program directors to try to get more info/speak to residents but still would love some input. Thank you!

Woodhull
Kings county
VA NY
VA Brooklyn
Mt sinai
NYU langone Brooklyn
Brooklyn hospital center
NY pres - brooklyn methodist
Kingsbrook
Bellevue
Brookdale
Metropolitan hospital
LIJ
Winthrop

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Mt Sinai - Seems like a good program in that it is well organized. You will receive a series of implant lectures that are very well organized and will give you very good basic implant knowledge. Tons of their residents blew this opportunity off and didn't attend. But I thought the information presented was comparable to what you will receive from implant CE courses. I can't comment on clinical as I don't know.

Kingscounty - They throw you into doing procedures almost immediately. Seemed like a rough environment in that you have minimal assistant support and equipments are pretty lacking. I.e. (it is random what you will get in your restorative kit, maybe you will get a plastic instrument, maybe not, maybe you'll have to do your restoration with cleoid/discoid). But they do quite a lot of surgeries.

VA Brooklyn - will give you a good prosth experience. Will pull good # of teeth and may get to do a bone graft maybe. Endo and perio cases will be solely on you to find and treatment plan. They won't find these cases for you but VA generally have all type of cases as long as you can recognize the need and treatment plan properly. Great attendings. VA manhattan perio and endo attendings come and teach residents. They can also do cases with you. This VA, like Bronx does not have any specialty residents besides OS residents rotating through, so you have the capacity to do a variety of procedures.

VA Bronx (Mount Sinai) - VA Bronx residents only see patients at the VA but are paid by Mount Sinai. You also get to attend lectures provided by mount Sinai. Experience may vary depending on residents' desire but I got to restore all-on-x, prep/temp/restore full lower arch (upper was already done by last residents). Surgeries are taught by either OS or Perio. You will have to do the work to set up a time with them but they're both available. If you work with OS, you will work with mount Sinai OS residents. If you work with perio, you work with attendings. Surgical experiences are implants, bonegrafts, extractions, etc. Whichever VAs you go to, you will probably do a lot of removable simply because that's what veterans need. Again, endo and perio cases are available. You just have to recognize them and treatment plan them.

I personally think it is important to have continuity of care in your program. I highly suggest you seek a program with it. Unfortunately, many programs don't have that based on what I've heard. For example, you may be seating a crown on a tooth that you did not prepare.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your list is so wide ranging, with so many severe differences in each program, that I am not sure what you really want to know. HHC hospitals are always quite different from private and voluntary institutions. Level 1 Trauma Centers are always different from Level 2 and 3. Some fo your choices have the dental center within the hospital, others have the clinic off site. Some are urban and some suburban. Programs tend to vary yearly for any variety of none predictable reasons (COVID 19 changed a lot). Other reasons may be, for instance: faculty take a sabbatical, get sick, move on. Funding for certain things get cut (look out for this next year). The program is gearing for a reaccreditation site visit (very stressful for everyone).
So as you can see, it is not clear cut what you are asking.

Reactions: 1 user
Your list is so wide ranging, with so many severe differences in each program, that I am not sure what you really want to know. HHC hospitals are always quite different from private and voluntary institutions. Level 1 Trauma Centers are always different from Level 2 and 3. Some fo your choices have the dental center within the hospital, others have the clinic off site. Some are urban and some suburban. Programs tend to vary yearly for any variety of none predictable reasons (COVID 19 changed a lot). Other reasons may be, for instance: faculty take a sabbatical, get sick, move on. Funding for certain things get cut (look out for this next year). The program is gearing for a reaccreditation site visit (very stressful for everyone).
So as you can see, it is not clear cut what you are asking.

I'd love to know the difference between HHC, private, and voluntary hospitals. I cant seem to find any info about those terms for the GPR's on my list. I'm generally interested in knowing which GPR's on my list have us doing lots of endo, fixed, prosth, and maybe some implants. I dont want to feel like I'm at a 5th year of dental school

I'd love to know the difference between HHC, private, and voluntary hospitals. I cant seem to find any info about those terms for the GPR's on my list. I'm generally interested in knowing which GPR's on my list have us doing lots of endo, fixed, prosth, and maybe some implants. I dont want to feel like I'm at a 5th year of dental school

I would find alums from your DS who did their residency at the programs you're interested in and speak to them.

Every program is different and you will mostly get anecdotal information on sdn.

Apply broadly and speak with former residents. Chances are they aren't affiliated with the residency any longer and will give you their honest opinion.

HHC is the NYC hospital system, a municipal system. Voluntary and private are in essence private for profit hospitals. You will never be in a fifth year as the vast majority of programs in NYC work under the premise of indirect supervision...no one is looking over your shoulder. Most programs will offer what you are looking for, but bear in mind that the program is generally what you make of it. The more proactive you are, the more you will do. No one is going to look after you.

Reactions: 1 user
HHC is the NYC hospital system, a municipal system. Voluntary and private are in essence private for profit hospitals. You will never be in a fifth year as the vast majority of programs in NYC work under the premise of indirect supervision...no one is looking over your shoulder. Most programs will offer what you are looking for, but bear in mind that the program is generally what you make of it. The more proactive you are, the more you will do. No one is going to look after you.

How will the GPR operate differently between those types of hospitals?

Any input on the NYU Langone AEGD program in Upper Manhattan? Thanks!