NY Neurology programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqureshi7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could roughly "rank" the NY neurology programs. I am aware that Columbia,Cornell, Mt. Sinai are on the top. Im interested in how the other programs fare. I have read scutwork.com. Would appreciate any input you could give. Thanks alot in advance!

To refresh your memory:

Albany Medical Center Program
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Program
SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn Program
University at Buffalo Program
NSLIJHS-Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Long Island Jewish Medical Center Program
Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center Program
Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program
New York Medical College at St Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York Program
New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program
New York Presbyterian Hospital (Cornell Campus) Program
New York University School of Medicine Program
University of Rochester Program
SUNY at Stony Brook Program
SUNY Upstate Medical University Program
New York Medical College at Westchester Medical Center Program

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could roughly "rank" the NY neurology programs. I am aware that Columbia,Cornell, Mt. Sinai are on the top. Im interested in how the other programs fare. I have read scutwork.com. Would appreciate any input you could give. Thanks alot in advance!

To refresh your memory:

NSLIJHS-Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Long Island Jewish Medical Center Program
New York Medical College at St Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York Program

What are you looking for? Competitiveness or program quality?

I'm more interested in terms of quality of training rather than prestige.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia - clearly the best training in NYC, work w/ the best docs, great pt exposure from referrals etc. Unfortunately, heavy call for the duration of the program, and the workload in general is killer.

Cornell - excellent training, treat their residents well, the best place for neuro-oncology.

Sinai - malignant chairman, very heavy call schedule (worse than most medicine programs), very nice residents, limited exposure to epilepsy and some subspecialties, very stroke-heavy (which is + or - based on what you like)

NYU - great exposure to different pts, the best epilepsy resources, residents not as high quality as the other name NY progs, faculty interactions w/ pts can be good or bad

LIJ/NS - before the merger, LIJ neuro was quite cush while still being a strong teaching program, while North Shore was a lower-quality place. Post-merger, not sure how much LIJ has been dragged down or NS has been brought up. Kanner, the LIJ and now-combined chair, very much an advocate for residents and a great chair.

Einstein - really strong pt exposure, new chair a bench guy, alot of hospitals to cover but really happy residents

NYMC - commonly thought to be a low-quality program re: training and resources that attracts people w/ good pay and housing.

Hi,

To refresh your memory:

Some comments on non-New York City programs:

Rochester: Academically, I really think it's on par with Columbia and Cornell. Faculty is top notch. Residents are well trained, pleasant and happy. Great mix of pathology. Of course, it's in Rochester.

Buffalo: A couple of years ago I would have said this program was up-and-coming, and sort of greater than the sum of it's parts. But I think they've lost some key faculty and kind of stagnated. Traditionally, they've been big in MS and neuroimaging, if you have particular interest in those. Decent cancer center too, for neuro-onc types.

Syracuse. Small program. I think it's pretty mediocre at best. Was not very impressed when I interviewed there way back when.

Albany. Actually not too bad in terms of academic quality. Expanding in stroke/neuro crit care and in epilepsy. New neuroscience center. Problem with Albany tends to be staff turnover -- top faculty tend to leave once they establish an academic reputation. They have a new chairman now, maybe that will help stabilize things. Residents tend to be good IMGs or solid-but-middle-of-road US grads. Albany (the city) is not exactly a happening place.

Stony Brook and NY Med I don't know much about.

Ranking these 4 I'd put them as
Rochester
Albany
Buffalo
Syracuse

NYU - great exposure to different pts, the best epilepsy resources, residents not as high quality as the other name NY progs, faculty interactions w/ pts can be good or bad

thanks for the advise.

just wondering what you mean by "residents not as high quality"
do you mean pre or post residency? does this mean they don't fare as well in getting fellowships/jobs?

thanks

That was just my feeling pre-residency. Post-residency, I'm sure they're very strong neurologists (given the case-load they will have seen as residents). I would think they get most fellowships they want, and there's in general no shortage of available jobs for neurologists today.