ny obgyn programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erikam17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have anything to say good/horrible about NY obgyn programs. I want to go into obgyn and want to stay in NY. all i hear are horrible things about ny programs. scut work and angry mean residents
please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. Anyone?

Julian, you might be able to shed some light on this since you are there....but, I thought Columbia was one of the worst places I interviewed at. TONS of scut work, unhappy residents (I know one of the residents currently there and she said they brutalized the hell outta them), all for maybe some big names and big cases - but they didn't convince me I couldn't get as good an experience somewhere else in a less-crazy, happier atmosphere. Their work schedules are nuts, and they even said they attract "strong" personalities. Yeah, I'm not sure if that was good or bad either. But, some people may love that kind of place and do well there, so it's all a personal decision!

Overall, I am from NY and while I interviewed at some places there b/c I was couples matching and wanted to increase our numbers, I cancelled most once I realized I didn't want to be in NY or deal with the cost of living and scut/nursing issues. Cornell seemed more benign to me, actually, but I still ranked them low b/c of location and the above things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really excited about the program at University of Rochester - they seemed to really have their act together. Unfortunately, the weather interfered with my interview date/plane travel so I didn't get there to see it in person. Supposedly, they are really friendly people and I heard they got rid of 24 hour shifts. It is Rochester, which I hear gets a lot of snow:D !

I was seriously considering some of the NYC programs and had similar reservations as vegetables, above.

Check out a couple of our old threads about some of the New York programs... I actually had pretty positive impressions of both Mount Sinai and Albert Einstein, and I have heard good things about NYU. However, the excessive scut/lack of ancillatory services is rampant in all the NYC programs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362615

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=359929

And outside of the city, I LOVED the University of Rochester. The program is very well run - the program director is board certified in both Ob/Gyn and Internal Medicine, and also has an MBA, so she was able to rearrange their schedules so that they have indeed eliminated 24-hour call. They showed us the call room on the tour, but then said that they no longer use it! It is a regional academic hub, so they see lots of interesting things.

I was seriously considering some of the NYC programs and had similar reservations as vegetables, above.

Check out a couple of our old threads about some of the New York programs... I actually had pretty positive impressions of both Mount Sinai and Albert Einstein, and I have heard good things about NYU. However, the excessive scut/lack of ancillatory services is rampant in all the NYC programs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362615

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=359929

And outside of the city, I LOVED the University of Rochester. The program is very well run - the program director is board certified in both Ob/Gyn and Internal Medicine, and also has an MBA, so she was able to rearrange their schedules so that they have indeed eliminated 24-hour call. They showed us the call room on the tour, but then said that they no longer use it! It is a regional academic hub, so they see lots of interesting things.

Is there a medicine-OB residency? Or did she do two residencies?

I believe she did two residencies, IM and then OB. But I could be remembering this incorrectly...

i did a rotation with a lot of graduates from urochest and they loved their program- its very family friendly and they think they got great training, and loved their classmates.