NY practice LAW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1DPM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone , Im about to apply to NYCPM but i found out that in NY you can not work on ankle nor do any kind of ankle surgery:eek:.if DPMs cant work on ankles in the clinics of NYCPM how will the students get the education and knowledge about that:scared: , beside, are there any residency spot for Ankle surgery in NY? since DPMs cant practice on that area? are there any training offered for ankle surgery to students? i heard you can practice ankle surgery in different states, but since you graduate from NY wouldn't that make a problem ?

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone , Im about to apply to NYCPM but i found out that in NY you can not work on ankle nor do any kind of ankle surgery:eek:.if DPMs cant work on ankles in the clinics of NYCPM how will the students get the education and knowledge about that:scared: , beside, are there any residency spot for Ankle surgery in NY? since DPMs cant practice on that area? are there any training offered for ankle surgery to students? i heard you can practice ankle surgery in different states, but since you graduate from NY wouldn't that make a problem ?

The law was just amended in NY State to include ankle surgery. It doesn't matter where you go to Podiatry School. It matters where you end up practicing and in what state you do your training.

by training, you mean the 2 years of rotation or the residency? thank you so much for the information ,

Members don't see this ad :)
The amendment to allow podiatrists to practice on the ankle has been passed by the state senate and needs passing by the New York State Assembly before it becomes law. Given that the senate voted it in by a 5:1 ratio, I don't foresee the assembly rejecting it. By the time you would begin your clinical training in your 3rd year this will no longer be an issue, and probably won't even be an issue in your first year. Apply away to NYCPM!

In New York, students work with MD Orthopedists to gain the necessary training. This is the same with residency. Thus, the students are trained to the same level as any other pod student.

Haim is correct in that the law is currently in the process of being amended.

From what I've heard, doctors don't need the ankle; their practices are busy enough just with the foot.

In New York, students work with MD Orthopedists to gain the necessary training. This is the same with residency. Thus, the students are trained to the same level as any other pod student.

From what I've heard, doctors don't need the ankle; their practices are busy enough just with the foot.

We certainly "need" ankles sir. "Just" the foot is not enough to display our true expertise imo. I would rather have the ability to treat the ankle and choose not to use it rather than lawmakers who have no earthly idea what our training is about tell us what we can or can't do.

We definitely need the ankle in order to be complete surgeons. In most states, we've had the ankle for years. NY is one of the few left where we don't so I'm not sure what the argument would be against it. As far as podiatrists that say we don't need it, I'm betting that is because they don't do it and that's fine. But they shouldn't be so short-sided as to not realize the progression of podiatric medicine and surgery.

You also need to keep one thing in mind. When NY does successfully amend the scope of practice to include ankle, it does not mean that you will automatically be able to do ankle surgery at the hospital or surgery center. Remember, the hospital bylaws and surgical privileges still dictate what a surgeon can or can not do. If the hospital bylaw or credentialling committee does not rewrite the DPM privileges at that institution to include ankle, then the DPM will not be able to ankle surgery at that institution, regardless of what the state legislature says.

For example, the scope of practice for DPMs in PA includes both foot and ankle surgery. There is a hospital in the suburbs of Philadelphia that restrict the DPM surgical scope to forefoot surgery and EPF only.

thank you dpmgrad, i understand, but my main concern was If i get into NYCPM am i gonna be able to do ankle surgery and also work on ankle in a different state, I dont want the state which I want to practice and get my licence give me a hard time, since I graduated from NY, becausse in your rotations you HAVE TO LEARN AND SEE the problems with the ankle,

thank you dpmgrad, i understand, but my main concern was If i get into NYCPM am i gonna be able to do ankle surgery and also work on ankle in a different state, I dont want the state which I want to practice and get my licence give me a hard time, since I graduated from NY, becausse in your rotations you HAVE TO LEARN AND SEE the problems with the ankle,

As Kidsfeet already stated, it does NOT matter where you go to to Podiatry school, in regards to obtaining a license to practice in a state. First, majority of the states will require that you have done at least one year of residency training, in order to obtain a full license in that state. Even if you happen to practice in a state where it does not require any residency training, such as Pennsylvania, it does not matter where you went to Podiatry school, as long as you have graduated from that Podiatry school. Whether or not you are permitted to do ankle surgery at a hospital or surgery center will most likely depend on what kind of residency training you did, what board certification / qualification that you are able to obtain (which is also based on your residency training), or scope of practice for DPMs in that state.

Even though, NYCPM students are exposed to ankle surgery, whether it is at school or during their 4th year clerkships. If you are so concerned about obtaining privileges for ankle surgery by attending NYCPM for whatever reasons, then do not attend NYCPM. I am from NYC originally and I did not attend NYCPM.

Last edited:

You are missing the point still. Go to any school you like. What you will do in practice will be dictated by your level of post graduate training/residency, and the scope of practice laws in the state you practice in. As long as you graduate from any school and hold a D.P.M. degree, no one cares where you went to school.

thankssssssss you guys are so helpful :love: