NY PsyD Programs: Pace, Yeshiva, CW Post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych101grad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Pace Child Clinical-School, Yeshiva Child Clinical-School, and CW Post Clinical Psyd Programs. I have heard a lot of great things about Yeshiva but received money from CW Post and got a better feeling at my interview at Pace. If anyone has any info on these schools reputations or knows anyone with pos/neg experiences at these porgrams please share or PM me. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to Pace Child Clinical-School, Yeshiva Child Clinical-School, and CW Post Clinical Psyd Programs. I have heard a lot of great things about Yeshiva but received money from CW Post and got a better feeling at my interview at Pace. If anyone has any info on these schools reputations or knows anyone with pos/neg experiences at these porgrams please share or PM me. Thanks

i heard some very bad things about yeshiva from current students. cwpost is definitely a better program! i don't know anything about pace

Based on what I've heard about Pace it can be hard to get supervision, and even once you do, it isn't considered a big priority. Supervision is said to be much better at Yeshiva and CW Post.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard some very bad things about yeshiva from current students. cwpost is definitely a better program! i don't know anything about pace

Just curious.......what are the very bad things that you heard about Yeshiva, I'm thinking about going there....

I am currently a 1st year student at CW post, I had a simnilar decision to make last year. I chose CW Post over Pace last year for 4 reasons:
1. Pace is strictly psychodynamic while CW Post is more balanced and I was looking for more of a balance with CBT (I now realize that CW Post is tilted more toward psychodynamics than CBT, but there is still a balance).
2. Pace is specialized as a child-school program and Post is not. I am not really interested in school psych so I went with CW Post.
3. I percieved CW Post to have a better reputation/internship match #s/lower acceptance rate etc. at the time, though this may not be true. All 3 programs do have good reputations.
4. financially speaking, CW Post was going to be cheaper for me in the long run (not cheap, but cheaper than Pace because I didn't get any aid at Pace).
SO your decision really depends on where you are theoretically and what kind of practice you think you are leaning toward. Pace and Yeshiva are 2 of the only few school-child psyd proograms out there and they offer solid training. CW Post is a more broad program and also offers training in both adult and child psych.
hope this helps,
Congrats on your acceptances and Good luck choosing.
Any Questions, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious.......what are the very bad things that you heard about Yeshiva, I'm thinking about going there....

They have a faculty member ********** who insults students on a regular base, they are very disorganized, and honestly - the students there had a hard time coming up with anything good about the program except that they will accept whoever will pay...(their words not mine)

Except that there is no faculty in the school-child clinical program called ********..... hmmmm

that's not the program that was asked about. One should not disparage a program before making sure that it is the one referred to.

CW Post has the better reputation and is a FAR nicer location than Yeshiva - very depressing place and area.

CW Post has the better reputation and is a FAR nicer location than Yeshiva - very depressing place and area.

I've heard the flip as well. ProspectivePsyD, how did you come to your conclusion? I don't have one formed yet, so I'm trying to get a "feel" for what's perceived out there..

Hello, I got accepted to the Clinical PsyD program and am seriously considering attending........first, anyone else considering it?
and secondly, how are you planning on funding it? (I'm starting to get a bit nervous)

Members don't see this ad :)
The professor mentioned IS tough on the students but hes also a well respected and well known researcher in the field of nightmares, mindfulness, and consciousness. I would do more research before making assumptions.

MOD NOTE: If we already have 2 threads about the same school (within SIX of the most recent threads), please DO NOT start a third thread on the same school. I combined the two other threads into this one, as it was redundant to have 3 threads talking about Yeshiva on the first page of the forum.

The thread above starts with the clinical-school program @ Yeshiva. Does anyone have any feedback on the clinical Psy.D program at Yeshiva versus LI CW Post?

The thread above starts with the clinical-school program @ Yeshiva. Does anyone have any feedback on the clinical Psy.D program at Yeshiva versus LI CW Post?

I met some clinical PsyD Yeshiva students 2 years ago who were disappointed with their program. I'm currently a student at C.W. Post and I see that my own program is not exactly perfect either. The truth is, I think that every program has its issues; there are alot of faculty out there who are not the greatest and/or whose personalities clash with certain students etc. I've heard of unhappy students at many different programs (not only Psyds). So, unless you have spoken to every single student in a particualr program (and you know that they are being completely honest with you) just expect that there will be some problems in whichever program you choose. Unfortunately, not all of your faculty are going to be the warmest, nicest people you meet. They may be narcissists or just outright jerks. If you are motivated to get through a program, you will have to learn to put up with some of the negative aspects of your program. And who knows, putting up with this stuff may even make you a better clinician in the long run.

I met some clinical PsyD Yeshiva students 2 years ago who were disappointed with their program. I'm currently a student at C.W. Post and I see that my own program is not exactly perfect either. The truth is, I think that every program has its issues; there are alot of faculty out there who are not the greatest and/or whose personalities clash with certain students etc. I've heard of unhappy students at many different programs (not only Psyds). So, unless you have spoken to every single student in a particualr program (and you know that they are being completely honest with you) just expect that there will be some problems in whichever program you choose. Unfortunately, not all of your faculty are going to be the warmest, nicest people you meet. They may be narcissists or just outright jerks. If you are motivated to get through a program, you will have to learn to put up with some of the negative aspects of your program. And who knows, putting up with this stuff may even make you a better clinician in the long run.

Psychbar, thank you for your excellent insight. You're completely right in reminding me the pitfalls of generalizing, and also that the graduate experience will rely much on my own initiative. If I happen to sense that I am not being offered enough supervision, I am capable of finding additional mentors or speaking up about changing a given supervisor. And yes, I anticipate the graduate school experience will be a life lesson in it of itself. Just like when I have my own career in the field, my job will never be perfect and clean-cut.

At the same time, I believe that I cannot rush into my decision, and should think critically if a given negative claim or facet of a program is really grounded, or is something I deem to be important.

I got accepted to CW Post and reading this thread makes me even more excited to be attending next year!

Tell me again about its good reputation so I can show my mom.

(I am serious, too)

At the same time, I believe that I cannot rush into my decision, and should think critically if a given negative claim or facet of a program is really grounded, or is something I deem to be important.

Of course, you're absolutely right, docintraining. I tried to find out this stuff before I chose a program as well. It would be silly for you not to. Just be aware going in (as I'm sure you now are) that as much as you hear about schools, you're never really going to hear everything.

Hi. I am a recent Pace graduate from the School/Clinical Child Psych Psy.D. program and my cousin recently graduated from the Yeshiva Psy.D. program. Both of us had excellent experiences in our respective schools. I don't know much about the C.W.Post Psy.D. program except that one of my classmates transferred from that program to Pace because she felt dissatisfied with the quality of education she was receiving there. That was about eight years ago at this point to put it in perspective. Other people I'm sure love it there.

I've been reading these threads and I just wanted to add that I wouldn't put much stock in comments like 'I heard this professor is so difficult and mean' or 'this program is only psychodynamic in orientation' from other prospective students who are getting this info second hand. Trust me, there are disgruntled students in every program, and there will be faculty members in every program whom someone will have a problem with. One professor whom I loved and had as my advisor for my doctoral project was the same professor some of my classmates found very intimidating.

From experience I can tell you that Pace offers a mix of faculty with different orientations. I found several professors whom i could relate to and they provided me with informal supervision whenever I requested it. No one will try to force you into one camp or another. Being that Pace is also a school psychology program as well as a clinical one, you are exposed to cognitive and behavioral therapies that are typically utilized when working with children in school settings. At Pace, two of your internship years will be in school settings so if you are not at all interested in working with school-age children, this may not be the program for you. Remember that much of your experience will also be shaped by the two-day, three-day and full-time Internships and Externships you will attend, not just within the university walls you choose.

At Pace, there are definitely some faculty with an analytic background. However, particularly over the past ten years, Pace has hired many new faculty members with a wide range of orientations. The information that Pace is strictly analytic is simply untrue and outdated. I suggest if you have been accepted to any of these programs discussed in these threads and have questions, call and speak to the faculty yourselves or ask for the email of a graduate student in the program to give you a better idea of what type of people you will be working with. You will find that many people will be encouraging and give you honest answers. Most schools also list the bios of the faculty on their websites, so you can find out for yourselves about their orientation and expertise.

It is no secret that you will be investing a great deal of time and money wherever you choose to go. It is definitely worth your while to speak to some people who really know what each program is like, rather than basing your decision on hearsay from other prospective students on a listserve, particularly ones with disgruntled friends. If you got a good feeling at one interview, go with it, it is probably a good sign. Good luck, it's a (very) long haul, but worth it! Feel free to email me with any Pace questions. If I don't know the answer, i can forward it to a current Pace student or faculty member.

Hi. I am a recent Pace graduate from the School/Clinical Child Psych Psy.D. program and my cousin recently graduated from the Yeshiva Psy.D. program. Both of us had excellent experiences in our respective schools.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you and your cousin working? Did your cousin feel he was well-prepared for the field and job market?

Does anyone know what the GRE requirments are like for Yeshiva's and Pace's Psy.D programs?

Does anyone know what the GRE requirments are like for Yeshiva's and Pace's Psy.D programs?

According to the 2008/2009 edition of the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology (Norcross, Sayette, Mayne):

Yeshiva Clinical Psy.D.:
GRE mean: Verbal 550/Quantitative 600
Analytical Writing not reported
Advanced Psychology not reported

Yeshiva Clinical/School Psy.D.:
GRE mean: Verbal 593/Quantitative 680
Analytical Writing 5.0

Pace School/Clinical Psy.D.:
GRE mean: Verbal + Quantitative 1300
Analytical Writing not reported

I am a Ferkauf alum. I agree with what has been said. It was a horrible experience and I continue to try and rebuild my confidence and self-esteem from some of the interactions I had. I regret accepting. Consider MSW- faster, cheaper and more job opportunities.