NYC area EM residencies for a DO- USMLE needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Tolf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year Osteopathic medical student deciding whether or not to take the USMLE step1. I want to be a competitive applicant for EM residencies in the NYC area, but does that mean USMLE's are needed???
Any info about DOs in allopathic EM residencies would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hey there, im a fellow do ms4 going for EM. I took the usmle and highly recommend doing so. It makes you a better candidate and can really only help you out. You can't really fault programs that dont know much about the comlex...and this way you can be on a level playing field. I did about average on them...and applied to a ton of programs b/c i didnt know how many allopathic i would get. in the end i got around 11 or 12 interviews and went to 9. 4 of those are in NY. If you have any questions specifically about those programs PM me...ill be happy to share, as well as anything else about the process from a DO point of view.
Good luck

I also took the USMLE in addition to COMLEX. I did about average on step 1 but did better on step 2.

I got interview offers at:
NY Beth Israel
Lincoln/Bronx
Jacobi
Metropolitan
Maimonides/Brooklyn
Brooklyn Hospital
Long Island Jewish

Personally, I think it was worth the investment. Less for the NYC programs, and more for the other programs I'm interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 4th year DO student applying for allopathic EM who didn't take the USMLE. I did very well on COMLEX level 1 and 2. I did go on 8 interviews and turned down 3. If I had to do it over again, I would have taken the USMLE, just increase my chances at more east coast programs (the majority of my interview rejections were from programs that had 2 or less D.O.'s and were located in nc/sc)

Thanks for everyones input! Looks like I have to suck it up and take both exams... Good luck with the upcoming match! I cant wait to get onto 3rd year rotations, and I am sure you all cant wait to get on with residency.

I personally think a GREAT SLOR or 2 from program directors will do much more than USMLE. I applied using COMLEX only, had many allo interviews (14 or so) including the programs I wanted in NYC. You do have to have a strong COMLEX score though.

I would strongly recommend doing a rotation or 2 in NYC, get a strong SLOR from a program director. All program directors in New York know eachother very well, and a strong word will go a long way.

When the SAEM conference was in Manhattan a few years ago, I attended the medical student symposium and asked that exact question. Almost every program director said that a strong SLOR or 2 with good COMLEX is better than USMLE for DO students.

SLOR (standard Letter of Recommendation) from CORD website.