NYC Area Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of you who have applied before can you tell me how long it usually takes after March 4 for the whole thing to be done? I mean if you're not at the top of people's lists is there a chance of getting an offer later in the week or even the following week? This is my first year doing this and no one else in my program is going through this so I have no idea ...

I am wondering the same thing. Do sites tell you if you are an alternate? Did anyone hear from any more sites? I heard from New York Presbyterian—Inpatient CBT Women’s Unit. They said they extended all interviews. I was actually surprised they did not interview me since I have so much experience with trauma and CBT from working at an inpatient unit in Chicago. I also have not heard from Bronx Lebanon. In the end, I ended up with 8 interviews and hope I get one of them :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

There is a chance of getting an offer later in the week. Last year some of the people in my program heard back 2-3 days after the date when offers started being made because sites were turned down and had to move on to other candidates. However, most sites also email candidates they definitely won't be making offers to on the day they make offers. If a site you are very interested in does not contact you to make an offer or to reject you, I'd feel comfortable contacting the and politely asking about my standing.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a chance of getting an offer later in the week. Last year some of the people in my program heard back 2-3 days after the date when offers started being made because sites were turned down and had to move on to other candidates. However, most sites also email candidates they definitely won't be making offers to on the day they make offers. If a site you are very interested in does not contact you to make an offer or to reject you, I'd feel comfortable contacting the and politely asking about my standing.

Also, this year it seems that they're encouraging students to make rankings for their sites beforehand in order to make the process run a bit better. Last year, there would be people holding on to offers since they weren't really sure of which they wanted which would create a bottleneck.

Also, this year it seems that they're encouraging students to make rankings for their sites beforehand in order to make the process run a bit better. Last year, there would be people holding on to offers since they weren't really sure of which they wanted which would create a bottleneck.

I started a rank list. Is it common to get more than one offer? I think my anxiety is going to be high on the day we hear from sites, especially if I do not hear anything. Do sites call or email?

I started a rank list. Is it common to get more than one offer? I think my anxiety is going to be high on the day we hear from sites, especially if I do not hear anything. Do sites call or email?

Wish I knew the answers to those questions but I have no idea. I would guess that some call and others e-mail. Although e-mailing is probably easier, because then they have a record. I sure hope I hear from sites even if it's not an offer. Does anyone know someone who didn't get a placement through this process?

Wish I knew the answers to those questions but I have no idea. I would guess that some call and others e-mail. Although e-mailing is probably easier, because then they have a record. I sure hope I hear from sites even if it's not an offer. Does anyone know someone who didn't get a placement through this process?

I spoke with a friend who graduated from a NYC based program a few years ago and she said that it is very rare, but sometimes a few students do not find placements and then email sites to see if they are full.

in general, what are good/bad signs at the end of interviews?

when interviewers say: "take care", "good luck with the process", or "good luck", does it usually suggest a likely ding?

when interviewers mention: "we will be in touch soon", "you will hear from us soon", or "thanks for coming in", or "it was nice meeting you", does it usually suggest either something positive or neutral?

quick question re: bellevue inpatient. do u guys know if when they started interviewing candidates and if they are still interviewing this week?

in general, what are good/bad signs at the end of interviews?

when interviewers say: "take care", "good luck with the process", or "good luck", does it usually suggest a likely ding?

when interviewers mention: "we will be in touch soon", "you will hear from us soon", or "thanks for coming in", or "it was nice meeting you", does it usually suggest either something positive or neutral?

Great questions! I wonder that myself. I know I had a few interviews that I thought went really well, but I have no idea ... I didn't send thank you emails to everyone, just the sites I was really interested in. One of the sites didn't reply to my thank you and I thought that was a bad sign ...

I wouldn't put too much energy into trying to figure out what the good bye greeting means though. I can see why you might think their saying good luck means they're not interested in you, but it's also just a typical farewell greeting given the circumstance.

Can't wait until Monday!

Great questions! I wonder that myself. I know I had a few interviews that I thought went really well, but I have no idea ... I didn't send thank you emails to everyone, just the sites I was really interested in. One of the sites didn't reply to my thank you and I thought that was a bad sign ...

I wouldn't put too much energy into trying to figure out what the good bye greeting means though. I can see why you might think their saying good luck means they're not interested in you, but it's also just a typical farewell greeting given the circumstance.

Can't wait until Monday!

I don't think I have received responses to the thank you notes that I did send out... folks who have applied to many sites and received offers in the past, in your experience, is it typical for sites that are genuinely interested to respond to thank you notes?

I don't think I have received responses to the thank you notes that I did send out... folks who have applied to many sites and received offers in the past, in your experience, is it typical for sites that are genuinely interested to respond to thank you notes?

I didn't receive responses to any of my thank you notes either. I figured that was typical, but maybe not? eekkk.

I didn't receive responses to any of my thank you notes either. I figured that was typical, but maybe not? eekkk.

Don't read into thank you notes too much. It says more about a supervisor's interpersonal style than anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
did bellevue interview applicants for any tracks this week?

Yesterday was Bellevue's last day of interviews for all tracks.
Good luck on Monday everyone!

Yesterday was Bellevue's last day of interviews for all tracks.
Good luck on Monday everyone!

Do you know if anyone went in to interview for the trauma or inpatient tracks yesterday?

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Hope you all get your first choices!

Have folks started to hear yet? I have 2 offers and am on 1 waitlist ... One of the offers is at a place I really loved and the other is a place that I liked less, but that was very convenient, so I am really torn.

still waiting.. which sites have u all heard from?

haven't heard yet either but my friend heard from a neuropsych externship (NYU Epilepsy). Hope that helps!

I heard from JFBCS Child Development Center, The Henrey Ittleson Center and The White Institute. Has anyone heard from Columbia?

I heard back from the Brooklyn VA, hope this helps!

I have heard from Brooklyn College, Iona College, and John Jay College. I received two offers and am on one wait list. Not sure what to make of the other 6 places I applied to. I thought they would let us know even if it was a "no thank you".

Heard from Brooklyn College as well. I am hoping to hear some from others before I made a decision. Do sites usually let us know the first day? I am still waiting to hear from Fordham, City College, Bellevue, St. Barnabas and Elmhurst.

I am also waiting to hear from Bellevue, Elmhurst, Interfaith, and St. Barnabas--- has anyone heard?
Heard from Brooklyn Counseling and Gouverneur.
I expect sites will be contacting students through Thurs until most slots get filled. Initial offers have probably all been sent out. Based on the responses they get back from their initial offers, sites with unfilled spots may send out additional offers tomorrow morning.

I am an alternate at two places. That is all I heard today . Now what?

Updating our original master lis and making a new list of sites that have made offers based on what people on this site (and others) have reported:

Barnard College
Brooklyn College (offer)
Fordham University
Hunter College
Iona College (offer)
John Jay College of Criminal Justice (offer)
Montclair State University
Pace University
William Paterson University

Hospitals

Bellevue, Adult Inpatient
Bellevue, Child and Adolescent Outpatient
Bellevue, Forensic
Beth Israel
Bronx Psych, Male Admissions Unit
Columbia Children's Day Unit
Columbia University Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders
Elmhurst
Gouverneur (offer)
Hackensack
Holliswood
Interfaith
Jacobi (offer)
Jamaica (offer)
Kings County
Kingsboro
Kirby
Lenox Hill
Long Island Jewish
Maimonides
Manhattan Psychiatric Center
Manhattan VA
Montefiore
North Central Bronx
NYU - Anita Saltz Institute for Anxiety and Mood Disorders
NYU - ADHD and Disruptive Disorder Track
St. Barnabas
St. Luke's Psychiatric Recovery Clinic
St. Luke's Adolescent Day Treatment
St. Luke's Trauma
St. Luke's Peer Program
Queens Hospital Center
Woodhull

Other

The Addictions Institute
Brooklyn Learning Center
New York City Children's Center
Sunset Terrace Family Health Center

Got offers from Bellevue Forensic, Bronx Psych, and Kirby today.

curious to see if people still hear from sites today?

curious to see if people still hear from sites today?

I hope so. All I heard is that I am an alternate at two sites. I am in a state of panic! I guess I did not apply to enough sites and not enough "safety" sites. Does anyone have any advice? Have you ever heard of this happening? I felt confident after my interviews so keep replaying them in my mind. I do not know what to do :scared:

Sorry if I'm a bit lost about this but if you haven't heard from the sites at all, does that mean you're not on a waitlist? Do all sites say whether you're on one or not? Thanks!

i think sites have different policies on whether they let you know if you are on the waitlist. sites that you haven't heard from presumably have you on either some sort of wait or rejection list. as more students decline/accept their initial offers, sites will decide to offer spots to people on their waitlist

It will all be ok. If I learned anything from watching this process, it's that EVERYONE gets an externship. Even if you don't get any offers (worst case scenario) your program is going to make sure you're placed somewhere by the fall...think about it...they can't collect your tuition from you if you're not enrolled. Overarching message to everyone here is - IT WILL ALL BE OK! Good luck and remember to breathe.

psychrat-- there is still a high chance of hearing back from places, especially tomorrow around noon/right past noon, because that's when people who declined their monday offers have to tell the sites. keep us posted if you hear, good luck!

I have received two additional offers: from Barnard and John Jay ... Such a tough decision.

OK, so offers from NY-Presbyterian (Track 5: Women's Inpatient), St. Luke's Trauma Program, and Manhattan Psychiatric ...

Also, don't forget you can only hold 2 offers at a time! Another student was telling me he had more than 2. That is not a kind thing to do to other students. Please let go of sites if you're holding more than 2!!

EDIT: oh and if it helps, released the MPC offer so some might hear today!

OK, so offers from NY-Presbyterian (Track 5: Women's Inpatient), St. Luke's Trauma Program, and Manhattan Psychiatric ...

Also, don't forget you can only hold 2 offers at a time! Another student was telling me he had more than 2. That is not a kind thing to do to other students. Please let go of sites if you're holding more than 2!!

EDIT: oh and if it helps, released the MPC offer so some might hear today!

Congrats! And thanks for the reminder about not holding on to more than two ... but it's so, so hard to let them go ...

Congrats! And thanks for the reminder about not holding on to more than two ... but it's so, so hard to let them go ...

I decided to take Brooklyn College. They are close, so will save money and time on transportation. Plus, I want to focus on internship apps and dissertation stuff and do not want to commute far.

Hey Greensky! I actually heard how great that site is in terms of training (my friend was there, it was his first placement and the next year, he got an offer from a really strong hospital placement) so congrats!

It will all be ok. If I learned anything from watching this process, it's that EVERYONE gets an externship. Even if you don't get any offers (worst case scenario) your program is going to make sure you're placed somewhere by the fall...think about it...they can't collect your tuition from you if you're not enrolled. Overarching message to everyone here is - IT WILL ALL BE OK! Good luck and remember to breathe.

My program is out of state. My partner of eight years lives in NYC and I lived there before I moved to the Pacific North West for grad school. I finished all of my classes and am getting ready to propose my dissertation. I wanted to move back with him and work on my dissertation and get some more hours before applying for internship. I did some phone interviews and flew out for a few. I felt that some of them went really really well, so I am feeling disappointed now. I heard from my first choice (where I was the first alternate) that the other candidate accepted. I know I am on the waitlist at one more place and have not heard a peep from others. How does it work if students do not find one? Do I just email sites next week and see if they have openings? Any suggestions? I am SOOOO stressed. I cannot sleep.

I decided to take Brooklyn College. They are close, so will save money and time on transportation. Plus, I want to focus on internship apps and dissertation stuff and do not want to commute far.

Congratulations on deciding and good luck there! I went there for undergrad and it's a really great place. It's funny how sometimes it really just comes down to practical considerations. I'm about to choose a site that's also more convenient for me. I have a bunch of good sites to choose from and since they're all equal, why not go with the convenient one, right?

I accepted an offer from Iona College Conseling Center today. Where is everyone else going? Anyone receive offers today?

Congrats! One of my friends is a professor there and says such nice things about the campus community. Unfortunately, I did not hear from the second site where I was an alternate at today or any of the other sites I applied to. At least the first one told me I was the first alternate and emailed me when the other candidate decided to take it. Should I give up hope at this point and start emailing sites to see if they have openings? I think I made the mistake of applying to pretty competitive sites and not enough of other ones. The Fairleigh Dickinson website is not updates too often, so I am unsure how to figure out what spots are still available.

FYI - Almost all of the neuropsychology sites are still accepting applications. I would send in a resume even if you don't have experience in that area.

Congrats! One of my friends is a professor there and says such nice things about the campus community. Unfortunately, I did not hear from the second site where I was an alternate at today or any of the other sites I applied to. At least the first one told me I was the first alternate and emailed me when the other candidate decided to take it. Should I give up hope at this point and start emailing sites to see if they have openings? I think I made the mistake of applying to pretty competitive sites and not enough of other ones. The Fairleigh Dickinson website is not updates too often, so I am unsure how to figure out what spots are still available.

Sorry to hear you are still without a placement ... You might try going through the master list as FDU and e-mailing sites ... I would think this is the perfect time to do it. There may be sites that have gotten rejected by their top choices and don't really want to go on to their next people on the list and they might welcome an inquiry from someone new out of the blue. It's worth a try.