NYC EM Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

praying4MD

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Again, I have done a search on this, but wanted some more updated information. Can anyone give me some solid info about doing an EM rotation in NYC?

1. Where would be the best hospital? From what I've read, Lincoln Hospital offers a really great experience, and the PD is amazing, but I've also heard good things about Bellevue, St. Luke's/Roosevelt and Jacobi/Montfiere & NY Presbyterian. Can anyone shed light on the pros and cons of them and where would be the best place to lock in a solid LOR?
2. Is there anyone in particular I should work with?
3. How hard did you find it to get LORs considering you don't really work with one single attending you knows you well on EM rotations?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My wife loved her rotations at Bellevue, Lincoln, and St. Lukes but that was quite a few years ago. I was a student quite a while ago at Columbia and the ER there was almost enough to drive me into IM but I'm hoping it has changed some since then.

I'm at St. Luke's-Roosevelt and love it. I intervied at a large number of the NYC programs (really only wanted to be in NYC).

The medical students that rotate here seem to really enjoy the rotation. They are sceduled with attendings only and basically function as PGY-1's in that since. They work one on one with attendings and if there are procedures for thier patients they do them. They are also often times give procedures if the second year doesn't mine passing them on.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am at Jacobi-Monte program. Pros- amazing training, great attendings, feel like I will get full experience, and the other residents are great people. Cons- it is an intense schedule. As a student, you work like an EM-1 and present cases to attendings.

About the columbia presby. program- I interviewed there and went back for a second look. I liked it a lot. The attendings are great and have a lot of enthusiasm for teaching and getting the program off the ground. Just thought I would throw that out there for a different perspective.

Jacobi/Monte - great pathology (trauma at Jacobi, medical at Monte), lots of autonomy as a med student, terrible ancillary services, WAY too many med students rotating there during letter season ('cause it's a great rotation). Resident-run ED, as opposed to Luke's/Columbia.

St. Luke's - lots of nice attendings, less autonomy but more supervision, excellent nursing

Columbia/Presby - great (medical) pathology, >50% of interviews in Spanish. If you rotate there you will also go to Cornell, which has an incredible facility, don't know much else

Belluvue - never rotated but apparently it's VERY academic, not much true pathology (lots of drunks) but exceptionally smart attendings

All are great rotations, from what I've experienced and what I've heard.

Wow! Thanks for all the great information guys. It is all very helpful. I will definitely have to PM some of you later with all the questions I have running through my mind, especially since I am somewhat new to the NY scene in general.

I think I might be leaning towards St. Luke's at the moment, but I definitely need to do some more research on it all before I decide for sure. No one has mentioned any experiences with Lincoln [Dr. Joel Gernscheimer, South Bronx] Does anyone have any further information about it?

So, no info on Lincoln Hospital (w/ Dr. Gernscheimer) out there, huh?

Linlcon is a 2-4 year program. (you'll have to do a transitional). We have several attnedings that trained there (including our PD). The ED is set in the older tradition of a surgical and med ED. The volume is huge and their residents work a phenomenal amount. The ancillary staff is difficult at best. (from what I hear). PGY2's start our working 22 shifts (12's) in a 28 day month. By thier last year they are working 19-20 shifts a month.

The residents that come out are very good adn verry very tired.

They don't have housing or a housing stipend.
(big issue in NYC) You won't want to live close to the hospital.

I ended up not ranking this program for several reasons: I didn't want to do a transitional year. I didn't want to do a four year residency (I wanted to do a fellowship instead). I didn't want to be that tired.

But the residents are very well trained there.

roja said:
Linlcon is a 2-4 year program. (you'll have to do a transitional). We have several attnedings that trained there (including our PD). The ED is set in the older tradition of a surgical and med ED. The volume is huge and their residents work a phenomenal amount. The ancillary staff is difficult at best. (from what I hear). PGY2's start our working 22 shifts (12's) in a 28 day month. By thier last year they are working 19-20 shifts a month.

The residents that come out are very good adn verry very tired.

They don't have housing or a housing stipend.
(big issue in NYC) You won't want to live close to the hospital.

I ended up not ranking this program for several reasons: I didn't want to do a transitional year. I didn't want to do a four year residency (I wanted to do a fellowship instead). I didn't want to be that tired.

But the residents are very well trained there.
Thanks again, roja. That is pretty much the consensus I hear about Lincoln from others as well. Although I might cross it off the rank list, I am still debating whether it might be worth it to just put in a hardcore month there to really get a feel for it and to work with Dr. Gernscheimer, who I hear is pretty great; I hear it also allows a lot of autonomy as far as procedures are concerned. And with a letter from them, I'm figuring you can't really go wrong... but I'm new to all this stuff so maybe my thinking is off there. At the same time, the more I read about St. Luke's/Roosevelt, the more appealing it sounds and people always seem to say [and truly believe] that they are happy there, so it's making it's way to the top of my list. The great attractio is the close one on one experience with the attendings, which I find awesome because it also allows for more teaching.

Anyway, like I said, I'll have to PM you later to get the real scoop. :)

Thanks again guys. :)

We are VERY happy here. the med students seem to really enjoy the rotation and work very autonomously. They function as a PGY-1. They work only with an attending, see patietns, work them up and do any procedure taht is there for them. The to MD"s that run the rotation are young, smart, amazing and full of energy.
As residents, we try to protect the med students for bs cases and funnel them the good learning stuff. We also help them tweak thier cases before presenting if its not crazy so they look good.

Not as much trauma as Lincoln, but this is a crap shoot... I did a month at Kings County (apparant mecca of trauma) adn the most exciting thing I did the whole month was use the ring cutter. Trauma is down all over and some of it depends on your 'cloud' status (I have a white white white one). PM me if you have more questions

What do you want to know?

praying4MD said:
So, no info on Lincoln Hospital (w/ Dr. Gernscheimer) out there, huh?

I did clinical research in the ED during my post-bac years. The faculty is outstanding (including Mike Radeos) and the ED is always packed with amazing pathology. The residents all seem to really know their s**t and got along really well with each other and the attendings.

Geez...I finally finished reading the websites of all the NYC programs. There's about 11 that caught my eye, and I'm a measly Californian with little NY experience (although I'm rotating through Jacobi next month). There's more NYC than Cali programs on my list of programs so far. I don't even know how to start the process of eliminating any of them.