NYC Greater Area DPT Program Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTUninformed

Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I'm currently in the research portion of my DPT application process. I'd like to learn more about the reputation of these schools from the NYC greater area. Written below is a list of all schools within reasonable commute/relocation distances (feel free to mention any I may have missed). I'd like to narrow my list down to ten programs. From there I'm planning to take a closer look at each program comparing: job placement, tuition costs, student to teacher ratio, etc. Any insight into the quality of these programs is welcome. (Though from what I've gathered, PT schools seem to have solid reputations across the board.)

*Columbia - Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
CUNY Graduate School & University Center - The CUNY School of Professional Studies (?) [Misunderstanding]
*CUNY Hunter College - School of Health Professions
*CUNY The College of Staten Island - Physical Therapy Program
Long Island University Brooklyn - School of Health Professionals
Mercy College - School of Health & Natural Sciences
New York Institute of Technology - School of Health Professionals
New York Medical College - School of Health Sciences and Practice (SHSP)
*New York University - Steinhardt
Sacred Heart University - College of Health Professions
Stony Brook University - School of Health Technology and Management.
Stony Brook University South Hampton - SHTM
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University - Physical Therapy Program 83.50% 85.43% 93% respectively for graduation, npte pass, higher rates. out dated information.
Touro Long Island - School of Health Sciences
Touro College Manhattan - School of Health Sciences
Rutgers North - Newark DPT Program

I've placed an asterisk by what I consider to be the current top programs in the area based on the knowledge I have currently, though I have some doubts. Thank you in advance for any and all feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reputation doesn't really matter, think of the other factors that do matter to you, and a big one should be money. Other things to think about (that have no right or wrong answer, just what works better for you) - size of class, anatomy lab- dissections/prosections/digital/etc, research experiences, are clinicals distributed throughout curriculum or all at end, opportunities for crossdisciplinary education (experiences with PAs, OTs, etc), specific things about curriculum like team based, case based, etc, are clinical sites local or across country, age of class (are most coming right from undergrad or career changers). Also think about what commute you'd have for various schools. If you are in class all day, commutes can be draining!

Reactions: 1 users
Reputation doesn't really matter, think of the other factors that do matter to you, and a big one should be money. Other things to think about (that have no right or wrong answer, just what works better for you) - size of class, anatomy lab- dissections/prosections/digital/etc, research experiences, are clinicals distributed throughout curriculum or all at end, opportunities for crossdisciplinary education (experiences with PAs, OTs, etc), specific things about curriculum like team based, case based, etc, are clinical sites local or across country, age of class (are most coming right from undergrad or career changers). Also think about what commute you'd have for various schools. If you are in class all day, commutes can be draining!

I appreciate your thoughts, I've culled the list down to the following schools:

HunterCollege of Staten IslandColumbiaSUNY DownstateTouro ManhattanMercy CollegeNY Medical CollegeNY Institute of Technology

This was based on price/commute time alone. It seems that all schools perform relatively well and have good job placement. Class size and student-teacher ratios seem in check, I'm going to try and find a more recent source incase of outliers.

SUNY and Mercy graduation rates I found are a bit dated but are listed in the 80%'s far lower than the rest which I find interesting.

The additional criteria to keep in mind is great. I'll be looking into those now. Lots to learn and it's very exciting. Thank you.