NYC programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highlow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering about everyone's opinions on the New York City programs? How do they rank? Which ones match the best fellowships? I know this has always been a huge topic of debate, but I haven't seen any updates in a while.

Members don't see this ad.

The top two are undoubtedly NYEE and Columbia. Both have great training and match well for fellowships. NYU and Cornell are also solid programs. The rest are on a different level.

Reactions: 1 user
Things are changing. With Mt Sinai taking over NYEEI, I heard that a lot of the NYEE folks are forced to become faculty, where before they had a more private practice feel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anymore comments about this? Are the programs fellowship matches posted? I couldn't find any! or any alums that can comment?

Columbia has a more academic feel than NYEE and better support from faculty when applying for fellowships (which = an awesome fellowship match). Last year, the three residents matched at MEEI for oculoplastics, Columbia for retina, and BPEI for glaucoma. The year before, the residents matched at Colorado and Columbia for retina and Children's Boston for peds. The 2012 class matched at BPEI for retina, UCLA for glaucoma, and Cleveland Clinic for cornea. Dr. Cioffi, the chair who replaced Dr. Chang, is an extremely supportive and well-liked chair and is making very big and positive changes for the program.

NYEE has the bigger edge for clinical volume, but the residents are miserable and overworked. The fellowship match is good but many of the residents are burned out and end up doing private practice.

Agreed that those are the two top programs in the area, but only if you must do residency in NYC. Quality of life and surgical volume are much higher outside of Manhattan.

Thanks for those details! Any comment on NYU or Cornell? Especially since NYU has MEETH, the VA, Bellevue. And Cornell has Rockefeller and all those research facilities?

Cornell is a small program with great faculty and fellowship match (Wills oculoplastics, UCLA cornea, MEEI glaucoma, etc) but no resident clinic and poor operative experience - you have to do a fellowship to be marketable. The facilities, including the market-price housing, are beautiful and you are busy and autonomous on call.

NYU profits from its relationship with VRM, a world-class retina private practice in midtown east with amazing Tuesday morning rounds and research opportunities. You also have the advantage of training at a county hospital, VA, and private hospital, so the clinical experience is excellent. However, with NSLIJ aquiring MEETH (Manhattan Eye and Ear), the future of that affiliation is questionable (at least as of last year). The fellowship match is hit or miss.

NYEE match last year:

Bascom - retina
UIC - retina
Bascom - glaucoma
Wills - cornea
MD Anderson - oculoplastics

Clinical training and surgical volume easily the best in New York. Its only one of the few places that has an eye-only urgent care which brings in the all the clinical pathology (others that come to mind are MEEI and Bascom)

Is NYEEI still known as malignant? I thought they removed Saturday clinic. Any other changes, or are the residents still unhappy there?

1st year is tough because of primary call covering the ER though thats where youre going to get your clinical management skills. 2nd and 3 year are is more relaxed with normal ophtho hours and everyone's pretty happy. Attendings are great and none are mean. Not sure how it got its malignant reputation, maybe from its Saturday clinics?

Anyone with updates about fellowship match results fo the NYC programs?

Any recent thoughts on NYC programs before rank lists are due? Especially interested in hearing thoughts about Columbia vs. NYEE

Any recent thoughts on NYC programs before rank lists are due? Especially interested in hearing thoughts about Columbia vs. NYEE

I fee like this has been discussed a bit already, try and search. NYEE >> Columbia in terms of academia, prestige and all that.

thoughts about Columbia vs Cornell?
Both seem similarly academic and are similar sizes, but don't know how else to compare them..

Columbia>Cornell. I'd also throw my hat in for Mt. Sinai. I loved that program. Elmhurst is a gem, Bronx VA is a huge plus, and Sinai itself sees plenty of path and is a massive medical center (with a great location). Some of the best surgical numbers in NYC, nice faculty/residents, and good fellowship matches (not as good as Columbia/NYEEI, but still solid). I think it is underrated in NYC, especially compared to NYU and Cornell.

Any further comparisons between NYU/Cornell/Columbia/NYEEI/Mt Sinai? I heard NYU has a new chair? Anyone know fellowship matches for NYU/Cornell/Columbia?