NYC programs

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by flipmode, Mar 26, 2004.

1. flipmode

flipmode Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does any one have any opinions on the lesser known NYC area programs? Via interview trail and/or clinical rotations they did there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. nyeyes

nyeyes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    which specific programs r u wondering about as I interviewed at most nyc/nyc area programs??

3. flipmode

flipmode Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Specifically:

Nassau
    North Shore
    LIJ
    Bronx-Lebanon
    NYMC BKLYN Queens
    SUNY
    ST Lukes
    SVMC and its various locations

Basically the ones that no one talks about and no one has posted any reviews of.

Most of these programs don't have websites so it's hard for me to do my own research. Thanks!

4. nyeyes

nyeyes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I can address some of them:

Nassau - granted interview, did not go.. was told not to bother as others were not impressed at all. small - 2 per yr. Clinic is run out of a trailer.

North Shore/LIJ- still considered 2 programs, but interview is set up so that u do both interviews the same day if granted both. I did this. Was not impressed w/ either, but northshore had a very malignant interview style.. like 6-7 group interviews, all asking weird stuff. I am AOA & the chair said "we dont like taking AOA students here as we dont like taking kids that have been spoonfed".. residents of both programs seemed strange to me.

Bronx-Lebanon- granted interview, did not attend.. again was told to avoid this place. poor location, small 2 per yr, etc.

NYMC BKLYN Queens - dunno

SUNY- very busy, residents not 2 happy, lots of commuting to cover like 6 hosps including staten island. chair is a converted businessman greaseball.

ST Lukes- not a bad program, chair is big-wig plastics guy de la rocca. problem is again too small only 2 per yr. residents seemed normal & happy. My good friend matched there.

SVMC and its various locations- st vinnies was at the bottom of my rank list.. residents were ultra weird. there is like 1 phoropter for 4 exam rooms which was strange. u get the "department jeep" when u r on call to drive to the statren island location.. 3rd yrs go to other sites like india, etc.. u didnt meet the chairman at the interview.. i would stay away from this one.

my 2 cents, hope it helps

5. flipmode

flipmode Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your post. I appreciate it.