nyc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamfox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm sure this has been discussed to death, but i didn't see anything recent, so i'm hoping an intern/resident/fellow can enlighten me. where do people live if they are doing their residency at columbia/nyu/mt. sinai (i already know cornell has their own housing). is it feasible to live in manhattan by yourself? i'm kind of over the days of living with 5 roommates. should i just start shopping for a really nice cardboard box to post up in central park or will i have to commute from canada (eh)?

honestly, though, what are everyone's experiences with living in nyc as a single person on a resident's salary? thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know few residents live in studio in the city, and with the economy the rents have significantly come down, hunt on craigslist enough and you might find a steal, usually studios be ready to pay for 1000-1300 depending on the location in the city
otherwise head to queens which is a nicer and cheaper for a bigger apartment and easy commute to the city

i'm sure this has been discussed to death, but i didn't see anything recent, so i'm hoping an intern/resident/fellow can enlighten me. where do people live if they are doing their residency at columbia/nyu/mt. sinai (i already know cornell has their own housing). is it feasible to live in manhattan by yourself? i'm kind of over the days of living with 5 roommates. should i just start shopping for a really nice cardboard box to post up in central park or will i have to commute from canada (eh)?

honestly, though, what are everyone's experiences with living in nyc as a single person on a resident's salary? thanks :)

Coming from out of state you should get affordable housing.

Mt. Sinai: http://www.mssm.edu/medicine/residency/resident_benefits.shtml
Columbia/Cornell: NYP provides housing for both programs, I think it's ~$1500. Also the Inwood area is fairly cheap for Manhattan.
Montefiore: http://www.aecom.yu.edu/medicine/education.aspx?id=7120&bid=12462 apartments are 350-595 for studio, 525-792 for one bedroom, and 760-991 for two bedroom. My understanding is that if you're solo you get a studio, if you're with someone you get a one bedroom, and two bedrooms are only handed out if you have children.
NYU: http://www.med.nyu.edu/ochap/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
finding housing can be a disaster, unless you are willing to live with roommates, outside of manhattan, or are lucky enough to get housing through your program.

I started residency without housing. I had something set up with someone off of craigslist but the guy turned out to be probably schizophrenic and psychotic. I struggled to find a place and had to bum it out with friends/relatives for the first month. it sucked.

NYU has denied housing to me in the past for unclear reasons- supposedly I'm considered to be too "local" to NYC although I studied in central NYS. (it's nearly impossible to get them to give you housing as housestaff).

The statement that rents are going down is absolutely incorrect. NYC rents have been untouched by the real estate market downturns and current recession. The amount that you are expected to pay for housing in manhattan is almost blasphemous in certain neighborhoods.

If you are unwilling to live with others or want to not have to live in a shoebox, find a nice place in Queens or Brooklyn.

If you want further info, feel free to PM me.

finding housing can be a disaster, unless you are willing to live with roommates, outside of manhattan, or are lucky enough to get housing through your program.

I started residency without housing. I had something set up with someone off of craigslist but the guy turned out to be probably schizophrenic and psychotic. I struggled to find a place and had to bum it out with friends/relatives for the first month. it sucked.

NYU has denied housing to me in the past for unclear reasons- supposedly I'm considered to be too "local" to NYC although I studied in central NYS. (it's nearly impossible to get them to give you housing as housestaff).

The statement that rents are going down is absolutely incorrect. NYC rents have been untouched by the real estate market downturns and current recession. The amount that you are expected to pay for housing in manhattan is almost blasphemous in certain neighborhoods.

If you are unwilling to live with others or want to not have to live in a shoebox, find a nice place in Queens or Brooklyn.

If you want further info, feel free to PM me.

What about your fellow NYU residents who are from out of state? Were most of them provided with housing, or did they have to look elsewhere?

I remember renting an incredibly nice studio in Skirball (?) from an NYU student during my away rotation there. For those residents who do get housing, are all the apartments that nice?

I'll definitely re-ask all these questions on my interview day, but the more perspectives, the better... Thanks!

All 5 major university programs are great. Cornell, Monte, and Sinai have housing, Columbia is harder to come by. They all have a different feel and different focus, so if you are planning a fellowship that may influence your decision. People from all 5 match into great fellowships. I was most impressed with Sinai and Columbia, and liked Monte but was not excited about living in or commuting to the Bronx.