-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
NYC starting salary?
Started by Painetrainin18
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
225-275
this (or 30-50% of collections if you have some savings and want to try that).225-275
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$15/hr
D
deleted993114
225-275
Holy crap!!!
Why in the world would anyone work for that amount when they can start at $400K min in the Midwest or southeast?
Holy crap!!!
Why in the world would anyone work for that amount when they can start at $400K min in the Midwest or southeast?
The same answer as why would someone live in nyc and spend 2k/mo on rent for a 500 sq ft apartment, when for that amount can afford a nice house in the middle of the country?
and don't forget the extra taxes. Income tax is roughly 7% plus the city itself has an extra 3.5% income tax for example. And that's just income...Holy crap!!!
Why in the world would anyone work for that amount when they can start at $400K min in the Midwest or southeast?
Holy crap!!!
Why in the world would anyone work for that amount when they can start at $400K min in the Midwest or southeast?
Midwest sucks, for one. NYC sucks too, IMO.
I mean it’s simply supply and demand. But the worst part is that in other industries, salaries are definitely adjusted so people make proportionally more in NYC than in low cost places. For some reason with medicine, suddenly this becomes an exception. Even within NYC, Manhattan hospitals in particular are paying the lowest salaries in NYC. Even though Manhattan is way more expensive than say the Bronx, Queens, or Staten IslandThe same answer as why would someone live in nyc and spend 2k/mo on rent for a 500 sq ft apartment, when for that amount can afford a nice house in the middle of the country?
You'll take that salary and say, "Thank you sir. I'm so fortunate to be here in the only civilized city in America! Who would want to live in Atlanta, Dallas, or Phoenix and make twice what I make here?"
Wives make men do things that make no sense...Holy crap!!!
Why in the world would anyone work for that amount when they can start at $400K min in the Midwest or southeast?
if you've never lived in NYC, you don't know that you are missing.....
if you like action, doing things/ meeting people, seeing shows, top notch food, etc, it is the most amazing city in the US, possibly the world.
if you like action, doing things/ meeting people, seeing shows, top notch food, etc, it is the most amazing city in the US, possibly the world.
And I believe you don't like like your current liberal cityMidwest sucks, for one. NYC sucks too, IMO.
D
deleted993114
You'll take that salary and say, "Thank you sir. I'm so fortunate to be here in the only civilized city in America! Who would want to live in Atlanta, Dallas, or Phoenix and make twice what I make here?"
To the contrary, having spent quite a bit of time in "the city", I have found those living there are some of the most provincial people in the US, as they rarely travel outside of the city. When you point out to them that their situation blows, they simply don't believe it.
Having lived in several parts of the country, I find the Midwest to be very pleasant. There are no mountains, nor a coast, but you can easily fly to those for vacations.
North Carolina is pretty cool, as you get a little bit of everything and decent reimbursement on top of it. Most every other place involves some sort of practice or scenery compromise.
I was just visiting some friends at an Ivy League medical school last week. I noticed that they had placed fellows in North Dakota and South Dakota- those practices make big bucks and somewhat insulated from competition. Living there, however, is somewhat like the moon with oxygen. It all depends on what you are used to doing and the desire for income vs a perceived great place to live.
I was being sarcastic Hawkeye.
I have family in NYC and you couldn't force me to live there for multiple reasons. I get why people choose it, but I need space and I hunt a lot.
I have family in NYC and you couldn't force me to live there for multiple reasons. I get why people choose it, but I need space and I hunt a lot.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love visiting the great cities of the US, and NYC is #1. Center of the Universe. Awesome to visit Phila, DC, Chicago as well.
But living there would not appeal to me. I have deer living in my front yard. Turtles, coyotes, blue heron, geese, mallards, wood ducks abound. 1.5mi walk to Starbucks, Publix, Target. Not for everyone. But perfect for me.
But living there would not appeal to me. I have deer living in my front yard. Turtles, coyotes, blue heron, geese, mallards, wood ducks abound. 1.5mi walk to Starbucks, Publix, Target. Not for everyone. But perfect for me.
For me the city life is an unhealthy addiction. This desire to be where the action is. Surrounded by people but alone. The country lifestyle is healthier imo. I live in a city though - am addicted.
Same here. 23 Acres with my own pond. I get herons, cranes, owls, deer, etc, etc. Have my own chickens, ducks, and goats. Have an apple orchard and grow my own hops. Can see the stars at night. All that and I live close enough to town to have my groceries shipped to the house and Lowes is just around the corner. I'll go to big cities for conferences and periodic vacation, that's enough.I love visiting the great cities of the US, and NYC is #1. Center of the Universe. Awesome to visit Phila, DC, Chicago as well.
But living there would not appeal to me. I have deer living in my front yard. Turtles, coyotes, blue heron, geese, mallards, wood ducks abound. 1.5mi walk to Starbucks, Publix, Target. Not for everyone. But perfect for me.
That salary is ridiculous for NYC, especially when considering the cost of living for there and the taxes. However, those simply saying just go to the Midwest to make 400k in Wisconsin is also not a legitimate argument. There is indeed a desire to be in a city like NYC where there's so much to do, and quite busy every week. However, I think a fair and legitimate option is to choose another cosmopolitan city large market city that pays well and gives you a lot of options; ie Dallas without the insane cost of living and better salary. Unless you want a city that is highly congested and truly dense - in which I would say, you're only left with NYC, SF, and Chicago.
we are just talking about starting salary. there are plenty of people who established themselves in the city as a successful physician, making comfortable living in a desirable city. it takes a lot of time and effort but remember it's also a city with 10+ million living in the vicinity. there's a a lot of business.
personally i would love to live in NYC and be successful but i didn't want to put in the effort so i chose another city which is still desirable. i would probably be able to retire 10-15 years earlier than my colleagues in NYC/SF/LA. i value early retirement/financial freedom more than the fancy latte and bagel i can access every morning.
personally i would love to live in NYC and be successful but i didn't want to put in the effort so i chose another city which is still desirable. i would probably be able to retire 10-15 years earlier than my colleagues in NYC/SF/LA. i value early retirement/financial freedom more than the fancy latte and bagel i can access every morning.
we are just talking about starting salary. there are plenty of people who established themselves in the city as a successful physician, making comfortable living in a desirable city. it takes a lot of time and effort but remember it's also a city with 10+ million living in the vicinity. there's a a lot of business.
personally i would love to live in NYC and be successful but i didn't want to put in the effort so i chose another city which is still desirable. i would probably be able to retire 10-15 years earlier than my colleagues in NYC/SF/LA. i value early retirement/financial freedom more than the fancy latte and bagel i can access every morning.
To play devil's advocate:
But that fancy latte and bagel was in your youth, when you were in your 30s and perhaps even into your 40s. You lived it up and had a great social life. In your 70s, well, you're old, no one cares about you. It would look weird if you hit up a social bar/club/lounge, went to hot trendy events, and probably wouldn't even be invited to it. I know some who are making this argument but living in awful places like Minnesota (no offense to anyone from there but I'm using the Midwest argument) to have a lucrative career and looking at a golden life in your 70s (who knows if we even make it) is a terrible way of looking at things personally.
That being said, I believe indeed you could still do that in other places. Scottsdale/Phoenix for example, great nightlife, close enough to LA to go, more money, less cost of living, etc. Dallas? Absolutely.
To play devil's advocate:
But that fancy latte and bagel was in your youth, when you were in your 30s and perhaps even into your 40s. You lived it up and had a great social life. In your 70s, well, you're old, no one cares about you. It would look weird if you hit up a social bar/club/lounge, went to hot trendy events, and probably wouldn't even be invited to it. I know some who are making this argument but living in awful places like Minnesota (no offense to anyone from there but I'm using the Midwest argument) to have a lucrative career and looking at a golden life in your 70s (who knows if we even make it) is a terrible way of looking at things personally.
That being said, I believe indeed you could still do that in other places. Scottsdale/Phoenix for example, great nightlife, close enough to LA to go, more money, less cost of living, etc. Dallas? Absolutely.
I do see your point but I also did say i can possibly retire 10-15 yrs early.. meaning possibly in the 40's. Plus i have accessnto 90% of things that nyc offers in my city too. No brainer.
And I believe you don't like like your current liberal city
Man caught pooping in aisle of San Francisco Safeway
Shoppers at a Safeway in the Marina District got a disturbing surprise over the weekend.
"Shoppers at a Safeway in the Marina District got a disturbing surprise over the weekend. Mike, a San Francisco resident, was at the Safeway when he spotted a man pooping in one of the aisles."
Thought Ligament was in Seattle![]()
Man caught pooping in aisle of San Francisco Safeway
Shoppers at a Safeway in the Marina District got a disturbing surprise over the weekend.www.kron4.com
"Shoppers at a Safeway in the Marina District got a disturbing surprise over the weekend. Mike, a San Francisco resident, was at the Safeway when he spotted a man pooping in one of the aisles."
Midwest sucks, for one. NYC sucks too, IMO.
Not all of the midwest sucks
Some parts do, some dont
That salary is ridiculous for NYC, especially when considering the cost of living for there and the taxes. However, those simply saying just go to the Midwest to make 400k in Wisconsin is also not a legitimate argument. There is indeed a desire to be in a city like NYC where there's so much to do, and quite busy every week. However, I think a fair and legitimate option is to choose another cosmopolitan city large market city that pays well and gives you a lot of options; ie Dallas without the insane cost of living and better salary. Unless you want a city that is highly congested and truly dense - in which I would say, you're only left with NYC, SF, and Chicago.
I love NY for all it has to offer, but id rather travel there than live there. Don't like CA period. Chicago is a good option with high income but very saturated. I would say that if I didn't have family commitments and liked the heat more, Tx is one of the best options for employment and where money goes far - you can buy a mansion for 500k with low taxes and great working conditions for docs.
damn didn't' realize pain salaries so low in nyc area. Gen anesthesia 20 mins outside of nyc these days is starting 350-500
For anesthesia more like 400-500+ starting in those areas outside nyc. Low 300ish within nyc proper (brooklyn, manhattan)damn didn't' realize pain salaries so low in nyc area. Gen anesthesia 20 mins outside of nyc these days is starting 350-500
Asking seriously, I've only heard about the pooping problem in San Francisco. Is it a widespread problem?nobody poops in the aisles of a red state safeway. it is just not done.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can confirm i havent seen this **** in NYC (no pun intended)Asking seriously, I've only heard about the pooping problem in San Francisco. Is it a widespread problem?
Asking seriously, I've only heard about the pooping problem in San Francisco. Is it a widespread problem?
Liberals like their drug addicts to poop on the street in Seattle, they really like it.
Last edited:
Not all of the midwest sucks
Some parts do, some dont
I'm from the midwest and it sucks. ;-)
I'm from the midwest and it sucks. ;-)
Haha, I'm also from the Midwest. I overall am good here in the midwest - and I have been all over the place - midwest, MA, Tx, FL.
only O h i o sucks....Not all of the midwest sucks
Some parts do, some dont
coming from TSUN, I cannot in good conscience put that in magenta.
D
deleted993114
That salary is ridiculous for NYC, especially when considering the cost of living for there and the taxes. However, those simply saying just go to the Midwest to make 400k in Wisconsin is also not a legitimate argument. There is indeed a desire to be in a city like NYC where there's so much to do, and quite busy every week. However, I think a fair and legitimate option is to choose another cosmopolitan city large market city that pays well and gives you a lot of options; ie Dallas without the insane cost of living and better salary. Unless you want a city that is highly congested and truly dense - in which I would say, you're only left with NYC, SF, and Chicago.
I was being sarcastic Hawkeye.
I have family in NYC and you couldn't force me to live there for multiple reasons. I get why people choose it, but I need space and I hunt a lot.
Sorry- didn't pick up on the sarcasm.
Good for you hunting and getting outdoors. Have you tried hog hunting in Texas at night? It is big fun. I have one of the best deer and turkey hunting farms back in Iowa; however, I like Bambi (don't hunt deer), so I let some local cops there have exclusive hunting rights for free. I only go back there 2-3 times a year to check on the lodge. Bambi and the turkeys need to be thinned out, but I don't want to be the one to do it.
Visiting the bigger cities is nice, but I like the outdoors better as well. It is just a matter of what you are used to doing.
Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 55
- Views
- 4K