Nycom Bs/do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackgates1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster....long time reader here. What do people think of NYCOM? I have gotten into a combined BS/DO program through NYCOM and wonder if I should take it. I may get into a MD one through Syracuse, but am thinking of taking this above the MD program :) opinions of NYCOM or DO vs. MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Im currently in my second year of the program, and personally, I love it. Its a great program, just be sure that you want to go to NYCOM and be an Osteopathic Physician. If you have any questions about the program or the school, feel free to pm or email me.

I am a BS/DO through SUNY New Paltz and NYCOM. I'm currently in my 1st year at NYCOM. I think the program was pretty good. At first I was a little worried that I didn't learn enough in undergrad, but after the 1st block exams I knew that I was well prepared for NYCOM.
I personally never wanted to be an MD...too many bad experiences with them and too many good experience with DO's.
If you want to be a DO, definitely do the BS/DO program. If you're not sure and you get into the MD program, do that instead. We have enough people at DO schools who don't understand the philosophy, don't really want to learn OMM and don't plan on ever using it.
If you don't get into the MD program, do the DO program and take full advantage of the doctor shadowing and seminars. Find out if you really want to be a DO. If you decide it's not for you, just stay the extra year at undergrad(or graduate in 3 years) and apply to MD schools.
If you have any more questions, send me a message.