NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an interview invite! OOS. Completed my supplemental around 9/9 but I'm pretty sure supplementals have nothing to do with getting an invite since they say to just do it before scheduling the interview

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite today, scheduled For Jan 10.
25 MCAT, 3.6GPA, from Maine.
Paramedic, BS degree, 2 years of research with >10 publications.
Very excited about this school!
Have been accepted at VCOM and UNECOM and interviewing at WesternCOMP in 2 weeks. Anyone have a favorite out of these?

Have been accepted at VCOM and UNECOM and interviewing at WesternCOMP in 2 weeks. Anyone have a favorite out of these?

aaah i'm so jealous. I wanna get in somewhere :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody have an interview yet and if so what was the format and how did it go?

Interesting... 28R, 3.9 GPA, extensive healthcare work experience... still no word...

hmmmm....

Congratulations, though!

I must have been the only silly one to submit the AACOMAS to the NYCOM Emigre program. Now AACOMAS is reprocessing my application for NYCOM. boooo! Hope it's not too late to get a secondary invite (in time for interview/seats) !

I must have been the only silly one to submit the AACOMAS to the NYCOM Emigre program. Now AACOMAS is reprocessing my application for NYCOM. boooo! Hope it's not too late to get a secondary invite (in time for interview/seats) !

i hope so too. i found a school I really wanna go to so I'm doing the other school's secondary right now.

i hope so too. i found a school I really wanna go to so I'm doing the other school's secondary right now.

It took five business days from contacting aacomas to receiving my secondary invite. Submitted secondary after one day. Yayyyy.
Good luck to you. You can do it!

haha thanks. I woulda finished the other app already if not for the flood of tests and random assignments =.=.

So my afternoon interview day started off with talking to admissions, financial aid, a faculty member, a tour of the campus, and lastly the interview. The interview was ridiculously relaxed. The interviewer reads your application a few minutes before they call you in. SUPER RELAXED. I wasn't a big fan of the school itself. It didn't really appeal to me but the area is gorgeous.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats good to hear. I know some interviewers liek to grill students. any particular questions they asked you which you felt were difficult to answer???

When did you guys fill out the secondary application?
Should I do it now or wait for the interview appointment?

When did you guys fill out the secondary application?
Should I do it now or wait for the interview appointment?

I'm confused, I thought they only scheduled interviews once secondaries were in ... just not necessarily LORs or committee packet.

I sent in my secondary last week Nov 4 and got confirmation via email, when should I receive an interview?

I'm confused, I thought they only scheduled interviews once secondaries were in ... just not necessarily LORs or committee packet.

I sent in my secondary last week Nov 4 and got confirmation via email, when should I receive an interview?

It appears you can get asked to interview without submitting a secondary (although I would not bank on this), but you can not schedule your interview until you complete the secondary. The school only gives you ten days to schedule your interview.

Last edited:
thats good to hear. I know some interviewers liek to grill students. any particular questions they asked you which you felt were difficult to answer???

They ask familiar questions that you would expect. The one that I thought was interesting was, "If you were going to explain to a lay person (like your mother or grandparents) how would you explain what a DO physician does?"

Other than that, it was a relaxed conversation.

they let me sch w/o submitting the secondary, but told me to do it before my interview

Just going off what the invitation email states...

"Congratulations! You have been selected for an admissions interview at New York College of Osteopathic Medicine. Please call (516) 686-3997 within 10 days to schedule an appointment. If you have not already completed the supplemental application, please do so prior to scheduling your interview appointment. If you have completed the supplemental, please know that the e-mail acknowledgement is confirmation that we have received it."

Hey guys so I'm currently working on the secondary for this and I'm trying to answer "Indicate your extracurricular activities and the extent of your involvement (officer positions, etc.) while enrolled as a student".

Did you guys just list the extracurricular activities and described them just as in the previous question "List and describe your hobbies and recreational interests"? Thanks.

Is anyone scheduled to attend an interview this week (or month) and wants to cancel or push it off to a later date... Please PM me... Thanks

Is anyone scheduled to attend an interview this week (or month) and wants to cancel or push it off to a later date... Please PM me... Thanks

Trying to score someone's interview date?

does NYCOM have an online link for status checks? thanks!

Has anyone that interviewed been accepted yet?

So my afternoon interview day started off with talking to admissions, financial aid, a faculty member, a tour of the campus, and lastly the interview. The interview was ridiculously relaxed. The interviewer reads your application a few minutes before they call you in. SUPER RELAXED. I wasn't a big fan of the school itself. It didn't really appeal to me but the area is gorgeous.

I think I have an afternoon interview (have to be there by 10:45). Approximately what time were you finished with the interview day?

There were about 10-15 of us there so they divided the us into two groups (one group per interviewer). The interviews started at 1pm and where said to end no later than 4:30pm. I was out my 2:30-3:00ish. I don't really remember but it is the last thing you do for the day so I was pretty anxious. I had to be there at 11am and like I said the interviews started at 1 and the latest they claimed someone would be there is by 4:30pm. Hope this answered your question :)

JOriginally Posted by nycom2016
they let me sch w/o submitting the secondary, but told me to do it before my interview
Did you not turn in your LoRs, either?

i thoguht my interviewer was a lil bit harsh but coulda been worse i suppose...the school itself seems to have really poor facilities. the library is the size of a closet and the students have to study in some other place which seems kinda wrong to me. I have to say the med students i talked to there though were awesome though. the price tag was quite the jaw dropper though haha. i saw the price and forgot about any dreams of moving out of my parents place.

Did you not turn in your LoRs, either?

when I called to schedule my interview the lady ASKED me if my lor's were in and if I completed the secondary, so I guess they don't have to be in when you schedule but obviously they do before you interview

Its only been a week since my interview and the wait is already driving me crazy!!! Three more weeks and time is just dragging

Is it true that NYCOM doesn't send out rejections? So it's "silent rejection"??

Is it true that NYCOM doesn't send out rejections? So it's "silent rejection"??

Yep, sad but true! You think that they would just mass email all the rejections. the least they can do is acknolwedge that so many people sent them money for nothing! :(

Why is this thread getting so little attention? Very few interview invites have been sent out??

Feels like nycom took my app fee and ran away...feels abandoned...lol

Feels like nycom took my app fee and ran away...feels abandoned...lol

Me, too! I read somewhere that this school is very slow, and so I've been ignoring the silence. I was complete over a month ago. I'm also OOS- in MA.

Hey guys is it wise of me to put off the secondary for NYCOM while I work on other secondaries? I've read that they take a look at your application pre-secondary and can invite you for an interview based on that so I decided to put it off and complete other secondaries. I'm a CA resident and NYCOM is one of my top choices.

Hey guys is it wise of me to put off the secondary for NYCOM while I work on other secondaries? I've read that they take a look at your application pre-secondary and can invite you for an interview based on that so I decided to put it off and complete other secondaries. I'm a CA resident and NYCOM is one of my top choices.

If NYCOM is one of your top choices, I would complete their secondary. I personally think it looks better when you go for your interview and your file is complete.

has anyone heard anything from this school? hope they dont give out silent rejections:(

has anyone heard anything from this school? hope they dont give out silent rejections:(

They do give out silent rejections. I'm a re-applicant this year and never heard a word from them last year. Sad, but true! But it's still November - I've also heard they're really slow....so keep your head up! :thumbup: