NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone outside of the tri-state area receive an II?

I haven't heard anything from them since they sent a confirmation about my secondary back in November and I'm IS

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who is attending and has deposited received any more information? Specifically looking for a start date so I know whether or not I can commit to a summer job offer.

Has anyone who is attending and has deposited received any more information? Specifically looking for a start date so I know whether or not I can commit to a summer job offer.

Hello,
I cannot tell you when your orientation will be, but can tell you that for the Class of 2015 orientation began Friday August 12, 2011. You should be getting more information once interviews are over and the class has been set. I believe that falls roughly in April. You will get snail mail on setting up your nycom email and it will provide you with information about orientation. I look forward to seeing the new classmates next year. Rest up and enjoy the summer as much as you can.

~ Peweee

Anyone know what to put on the Immunization Form where it says ID# ?

What do you guys think of sending in a pre-interview letter of interest? Is NYCOM receptive to those? Do they even accept them? I couldn't find any info on their website. I know people usually send in LOI after an interview but I really like NYCOM and would love to interview there. I submitted my secondary a bit later than most so I guess I just want to show how much I really like the school and hope that they consider me for an interview. any thoughts?

Also, if I were to send a letter of interest, who should it be directed towards? The dean of admissions? I'm a bit lost.

Anyone know what to put on the Immunization Form where it says ID# ?
You do not get your ID number until Mayish. I remember calling them and asking last year and they said to just fill it out everything that I could and leave the ID # blank and they will fill it in when they formulate ID #'s. However, I would call the admissions office just to be sure.

What do you guys think of sending in a pre-interview letter of interest? Is NYCOM receptive to those? Do they even accept them? I couldn't find any info on their website. I know people usually send in LOI after an interview but I really like NYCOM and would love to interview there. I submitted my secondary a bit later than most so I guess I just want to show how much I really like the school and hope that they consider me for an interview. any thoughts?

Also, if I were to send a letter of interest, who should it be directed towards? The dean of admissions? I'm a bit lost.
I sent a few pre-interview letters. My letter of interest would most always come after I had a new letter of reference, or something to add to my resume( new research job, shadowed a new doc, etc...). I addressed them to the Dean of Admission. I can not say if NYCOM read them or not, but here I am. I like to think they helped.

Hello,
I cannot tell you when your orientation will be, but can tell you that for the Class of 2015 orientation began Friday August 12, 2011. You should be getting more information once interviews are over and the class has been set. I believe that falls roughly in April. You will get snail mail on setting up your nycom email and it will provide you with information about orientation. I look forward to seeing the new classmates next year. Rest up and enjoy the summer as much as you can.

~ Peweee

Thanks! I spoke to someone in Student Services today, and she told me the tentative start date for orientation is August 10th.

Hey guys,
I have a question regarding NYCOM (its my first choice). I sumitted by primary app and was reviewed on the 12th and received a secondary. I elected to choose NYCOM,UMDNJ, Lake erie and Touro based on their deadlines. I know its quite late in the cycle and oh, I took the mcat yesterday. Do I have a decent shot at any schools at this point.
Undergrad gpa- 3.7, grad-3.3, Mcat awaiting...
based on the MCAT yesterday, I think my physical sciences score wont reach 10, but others were better. regardless, what do you guys think? is it possible to get an interview and perhaps an acceptance?
Thanks for the input

Finally heard back for an interview call from here. Scheduled interview for 2/7. Getting nervous, and I think my dad's freaking me out more than necessary. Submitted secondaries in October, that was such a long wait =x

Anyone who interviewed already, any tips for the interview? I've heard from some current students that the interview is very relaxed

Finally heard back for an interview call from here. Scheduled interview for 2/7. Getting nervous, and I think my dad's freaking me out more than necessary. Submitted secondaries in October, that was such a long wait =x

Anyone who interviewed already, any tips for the interview? I've heard from some current students that the interview is very relaxed

Let me start by saying, congratulations!! You will be fine, because as you have heard the interviews tend to be very relaxed.

The message below is what I typed up last year to help fellow SDNer's on last years thread.

First off, the day is situated ( I had the morning interview) where you arrive at 8:45 am to sign in. At 9 interviews start...I was the first to arrive and first to go, but they say that is not the way it works. There were ten people being interviewed and two interviewers..so that's five per interviewer. My guy was a PhD in anatomy and liked to talk. It was very conversation and laid back. His interviews ranged from 30 mins to an hour ( mine was 45 ish). The other guy interviewing was very short...like 5 mins short. I think he had a meeting to get to by 10. Once you interview you wait till everyones done and at 11 there is a PBL talk and then a finical aid talk. After which, there is lunch with the students and then a tour. If you have the afternoon interview, I believe everything is reversed with the tour at the end.

Okay...so the meat of the matter. Like I said my interviewer liked to talk. When I went into "his" office he proceeded to give me direction to a coin museum and talk about that. I mentioned in my secondary that one of my childhood hobbies was collecting old and foreign coins. He deff read my primary and secondary so I would suggest re-reading them and being able to talk about that. He actually pointed out a mistake on my secondary...which wasn't a mistake but I didn't argue. We talked about my shadowing experience and what I took away/ saw while doing it. Why was I confident I wanted to be a doctor? Yada, yada...don't remember many questions after that. Make sure you have questions for him/her..like pros and cons for each pathway offered. Student/mentor programs? Study abroad opportunities? Research availability based on pathway chosen?

Hope it helps! Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

I went into my interview expecting it to be very relaxed like everyone had said, and it turned out to be the worst one I've had. I'm not sure if my interviewer was just having a bad day but the whole thing was really stressful and I just wanted to walk out. The only relaxing part was when we talked about the school I go to since it's their alma mater, but then they got right back into grilling me. Not trying to worry anyone since I seem to be the only one with this type of interview, but be ready for anything. Good luck!

Anyone from the first week of January heard back yet or know when to expect anything?

Let me start by saying, congratulations!! You will be fine, because as you have heard the interviews tend to be very relaxed.

The message below is what I typed up last year to help fellow SDNer's on last years thread.

First off, the day is situated ( I had the morning interview) where you arrive at 8:45 am to sign in. At 9 interviews start...I was the first to arrive and first to go, but they say that is not the way it works. There were ten people being interviewed and two interviewers..so that's five per interviewer. My guy was a PhD in anatomy and liked to talk. It was very conversation and laid back. His interviews ranged from 30 mins to an hour ( mine was 45 ish). The other guy interviewing was very short...like 5 mins short. I think he had a meeting to get to by 10. Once you interview you wait till everyones done and at 11 there is a PBL talk and then a finical aid talk. After which, there is lunch with the students and then a tour. If you have the afternoon interview, I believe everything is reversed with the tour at the end.

Okay...so the meat of the matter. Like I said my interviewer liked to talk. When I went into "his" office he proceeded to give me direction to a coin museum and talk about that. I mentioned in my secondary that one of my childhood hobbies was collecting old and foreign coins. He deff read my primary and secondary so I would suggest re-reading them and being able to talk about that. He actually pointed out a mistake on my secondary...which wasn't a mistake but I didn't argue. We talked about my shadowing experience and what I took away/ saw while doing it. Why was I confident I wanted to be a doctor? Yada, yada...don't remember many questions after that. Make sure you have questions for him/her..like pros and cons for each pathway offered. Student/mentor programs? Study abroad opportunities? Research availability based on pathway chosen?

Hope it helps! Best of luck!

Thanks so much for your reply!

I went into my interview expecting it to be very relaxed like everyone had said, and it turned out to be the worst one I've had. I'm not sure if my interviewer was just having a bad day but the whole thing was really stressful and I just wanted to walk out. The only relaxing part was when we talked about the school I go to since it's their alma mater, but then they got right back into grilling me. Not trying to worry anyone since I seem to be the only one with this type of interview, but be ready for anything. Good luck!

Anyone from the first week of January heard back yet or know when to expect anything?

oh gosh! I hope you still fared well. Thanks for the heads up!!

I put my application through in December and I still haven't heard a reply from NYCOM, I keep haggling them on the telephone and Ramon Villongco just tells me that they will get to me.

How many others are still in the same boat?

I put my application through in December and I still haven't heard a reply from NYCOM, I keep haggling them on the telephone and Ramon Villongco just tells me that they will get to me.

:laugh: December? I would give them more time than that. You are grossly overestimating NYCOM's efficiency at plowing through their applications.

I finished my application mid November and haven't heard a peep. The woman I talked to on the phone was extremely rude and wouldn't give me anything more than "we'll get to it when we get to it."

I don't know what is wrong with my application to NYCOM. I got the email of completion on 7/27/11. and send a LOI last month. Maybe my traffic ticket hurt me?
cleardot.gif

I don't know what is wrong with my application to NYCOM. I got the email of completion on 7/27/11. and send a LOI last month. Maybe my traffic ticket hurt me?
cleardot.gif

Make sure you have everything in, I wasn't sure so I e-mailed them and they responded the next day

Got an interview invite this morning! Scheduled for 2/14. I was complete in mid-October so I've been waiting awhile for this one....Are there any resources for what type of questions NYCOM usually likes to ask during the interview? Or does anyone who has already interviewed mind telling me what type of questions they were asked? Any help would be appreciated!

did you get the invite by e-mail or phone call?

Got an interview invite this morning! Scheduled for 2/14. I was complete in mid-October so I've been waiting awhile for this one....Are there any resources for what type of questions NYCOM usually likes to ask during the interview? Or does anyone who has already interviewed mind telling me what type of questions they were asked? Any help would be appreciated!

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/nycom

are you in-state?

Got the invite this morning as well! I'm instate and was complete October 15th. This ones been a long wait but definitely worth it! I'm really excited as I'm sure you guys are too. I hope to meet some of you guys there on interview day :) Congratulations to everyone who has gotten an invite and to those that haven't don't lose hope. I thought I'd never get one and I did. I sent a LOI/update a while back that may have helped if you guys want to give that a shot and I called a couple of times also. Just keep trying !!

Also, besides going over your primary, secondary, and the interview feedback page, any other ideas on how to prepare? Its my first interview and I don't think many more are coming so I really want to get this right ::fingers crossed::

Got the invite this morning as well! I’m instate and was complete October 15th. This ones been a long wait but definitely worth it! I’m really excited as I’m sure you guys are too. I hope to meet some of you guys there on interview day :) Congratulations to everyone who has gotten an invite and to those that haven’t don’t lose hope. I thought I’d never get one and I did. I sent a LOI/update a while back that may have helped if you guys want to give that a shot and I called a couple of times also. Just keep trying !!

Also, besides going over your primary, secondary, and the interview feedback page, any other ideas on how to prepare? Its my first interview and I don’t think many more are coming so I really want to get this right ::fingers crossed::

Hey congrats on the interview invite! I've had a few interviews so my only other advice would be to be familiar with health care and ethics related issues. Read the newspaper in case there are any important developments that come up. Other than that just be confident and as relaxed as you can manage to be lol.

does anybody know the percent of those who interview that get accepted?

Hey congrats on the interview invite! I've had a few interviews so my only other advice would be to be familiar with health care and ethics related issues. Read the newspaper in case there are any important developments that come up. Other than that just be confident and as relaxed as you can manage to be lol.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it :)

Sorry guys one last question !

Is it late to be interview at this point in the season?

l

Last edited:
i heard they give about 700 interviews and they need to fill about 300 seats (60 seats are for immigrants i believe) so must give out a little more acceptance letters.

Hey guys, so I was complete super late (mid December) but I was wondering, do I have a shot at an interview or should I start getting ready for the next cycle. MCAT 31 S, GPA 3.68 good extra currics, shadowing, volunteer work, EMT, DO letter from NYCOM alumni, currently work in an ED and as an EMT etc. I hope my strange choice in majors doesn't hurt me (econ and studio art). Just REALLY want an interview at NYCOM!! Oh an im a NY resident if that really makes a difference. Sorry I know you must get a ton of replies like this one.

Did anyone else interview that interviewed on or around Jan 12 hear back from NYCOM?

Anyone know how long it usually takes them to reply?

Interviewed Jan 18th I believe, and nope haven't heard anything. Called today didnt get any solid answer just said 'when committee meets'..... really hoping for an acceptance here

Did anyone else interview that interviewed on or around Jan 12 hear back from NYCOM?

Anyone know how long it usually takes them to reply?

Last year I interviewed on the 11th and received my acceptance on the second of Feb. I don't know how addmissions are doing it this year, but that is my time line.

Hey guys, so I was complete super late (mid December) but I was wondering, do I have a shot at an interview or should I start getting ready for the next cycle. MCAT 31 S, GPA 3.68 good extra currics, shadowing, volunteer work, EMT, DO letter from NYCOM alumni, currently work in an ED and as an EMT etc. I hope my strange choice in majors doesn't hurt me (econ and studio art). Just REALLY want an interview at NYCOM!! Oh an im a NY resident if that really makes a difference. Sorry I know you must get a ton of replies like this one.
For what it's wroth, with the exception of studio art and EMT, my application should look very similar to yours. I interviewed in January so I'd say you have a shot. If you haven't done so already, it couldn't hurt to submit a letter of interest to the admissions office. Good luck.

For what it's wroth, with the exception of studio art and EMT, my application should look very similar to yours. I interviewed in January so I'd say you have a shot. If you haven't done so already, it couldn't hurt to submit a letter of interest to the admissions office. Good luck.

Have you heard back from nycom? When in january did you interview?

31st I believe. No word yet

Do you mind elaborating on how your interview was? My friend was rushed out in less than 10mins ! His experience freaked me out a little and mines coming up soon :scared:

Do you mind elaborating on how your interview was? My friend was rushed out in less than 10mins ! His experience freaked me out a little and mines coming up soon :scared:
They're on the shorter side, yeah. 10mins is a bit on the extreme end, but you definitely won't be interviewing for more than 25 mins or so. I didn't get any unreasonable questions...you should be ready to answer why D.O., why NYCOM etc. Obviously anything listed on your application is fair game as well.

Interviewed Jan 25 with a 3.34/3.46 & 29S. Anyone else interview around then and hear back? I guess 3 weeks from then will be the week of Valentine's Day. Will be checking my mail!

Interview tips: Just know your primary/secondary apps. It's very laid back, and everything besides the interview has no bearing on your acceptance anyway -- so be relaxed, you'll do fine! Remember, you were hand-picked from the masses for a reason. Give them a reason to like you even more: I believe coming in with a strong sense of enthusiasm and confidence is sometimes even more important than accomplishments, especially if ECs and etc. were done for the wrong reasons. I think the interviewers (who are mostly docs/professors) can sniff resume padders from a mile away.

Interviewed Jan 25 with a 3.34/3.46 & 29S. Anyone else interview around then and hear back? I guess 3 weeks from then will be the week of Valentine's Day. Will be checking my mail!

Interview tips: Just know your primary/secondary apps. It's very laid back, and everything besides the interview has no bearing on your acceptance anyway -- so be relaxed, you'll do fine! Remember, you were hand-picked from the masses for a reason. Give them a reason to like you even more: I believe coming in with a strong sense of enthusiasm and confidence is sometimes even more important than accomplishments, especially if ECs and etc. were done for the wrong reasons. I think the interviewers (who are mostly docs/professors) can sniff resume padders from a mile away.

^ I'll second that. Interviewed today, was a very pleasant experience. Definitely know your secondary application, since that is all your interviewer gets, so be prepared to talk about anything on that secondary! And all the standard interview questions.
Interview was about 20 mins long, but really depended on the interviewer.

Seems like no one's heard from here for about a month, hopefully that means the committee will be meeting soon? and we'll be hearing back soon? :xf:

got accepted. interview on jan 18th.

I sent my application here a long time ago, but I have not heard a peep. My MCAT and GPA is above the average, too. Oh well, I'm glad I'm in at CCOM! :)