NYCOM interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lals

Loner/Rebel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just schedueled my interview for two weeks from today, and I was just wondering if anyone who has already gone through the process could give me a brief breakdown of what to expect.

Members don't see this ad.

I just schedueled my interview for two weeks from today, and I was just wondering if anyone who has already gone through the process could give me a brief breakdown of what to expect.

I am still waiting for the interview invite. I was verified on 12.10.06.
When were you verified??

The personal interview portion was very short. I had one person who interviewed me. There were no really no hard questions. The questions were just why NYCOM, tell me about yourself, etc. I didn't even get asked why I wanted to be a DO. Most of the day is informational and includes a tour. I interviewed on 12/7 and still haven't heard back, but I am going to withdraw my application. I was actually impressed with the school, but it is not the place for me. Good luck on your interview!:luck: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in the morning, so I arrived, sat in the waiting area, adn got interviewed by this crazy looking guy. While you're waiting, my group was all just hanging out and goofing around. Afterwards, you get a brief info session and lunch (the condiments were hiding underneath the chips, and don't be afraid to be the first one to open the cookies). Lunch is with students, adn then you get a tour afterwards, and that's pretty much it. If you interview in the afternoon, you'll come when the info session starts, and stick around after the tour for the interview.

I think they have a series of questions they have to ask, but me and my interviewer kept going off on a tangent because he said my stories were much more interesting than the answers to the basic, boring questions. Then he kind of answered some of the questions on his own based on what I was telling him. "Do you have research experience? No, you told me you wanted to study abroad instead. Unique educational experiences? Study abroad is unique enough." KInda funny actually.

Just relax, it really wasn't a bad interview. ANd dont be afraid to ask the students questions, they're very honest.

just don't be nervous and answer your questions confidently. be prepared to answer the basic questions: why medicine? why do? why nycom? strengths and weaknesses? the interviews are pretty laid back for the most part.

Any bad experiences with NYCOM interview?

Just want to be prepared I have my interview on 17th :)

I had a good NYCOM interview...just be prepared for a quick one. The speed made me a bit nervous, but it was pretty laid back...mostly just talked about my job and my ec's...Everyone was really friendly.

This is kind of off topic, but I just officially withdrew my application at NYCOM. Hope that opens up a spot for someone!:)

This is kind of off topic, but I just officially withdrew my application at NYCOM. Hope that opens up a spot for someone!:)

Hopefully for me. :D

P.S: No one answered my question of when they were verified and how long it took to get interview invite.

Hopefully for me. :D

P.S: No one answered my question of when they were verified and how long it took to get interview invite.

I think I was complete in September, maybe August and I got the invitation when they started sending out the letters at the end of October. :luck:

I think I was complete in September, maybe August and I got the invitation when they started sending out the letters at the end of October. :luck:

Thanks. I was getting a little worried. I get verified on 12.10.06 and still no word yet.

I got verified on 11/13/2006

Thanks. I was getting a little worried. I get verified on 12.10.06 and still no word yet.

i believe that i've been complete for a while now - since mid october, at least. i called up to see if i was complete a month or so ago, and they told me i was. i still haven't heard from them, and i just called again and the woman i spoke to was very vague - she said if anything was missing, i'd be contacted. which doesn't help me too much :( has anyone been waiting this long that is regional (i'm from nothern nj, pretty close to the city)? my stats are decent to fairly good so i'm getting a little antsy waiting haha :scared:

i believe that i've been complete for a while now - since mid october, at least. i called up to see if i was complete a month or so ago, and they told me i was. i still haven't heard from them, and i just called again and the woman i spoke to was very vague - she said if anything was missing, i'd be contacted. which doesn't help me too much :( has anyone been waiting this long that is regional (i'm from nothern nj, pretty close to the city)? my stats are decent to fairly good so i'm getting a little antsy waiting haha :scared:

I think because you are from out of state.

I think because you are from out of state.

i guess so, but i've been reading here and there that NYCOM gives preference to in-state and regional students (but i'm not sure how accurate the regional part is). hopefully you're right and it is just b/c i'm out of state!

Thanks for the replies, people. In response to when I was verified, somewhere around Nov. 10th, so you've probably got a while to go if you submitted a month later.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay pre-nycom interview? I have the info they sent me just would like to hear what people thought of where they stayed in terms of comfort/price/ease of getting to NYCOM. Thanks for any help!

Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay pre-nycom interview? I have the info they sent me just would like to hear what people thought of where they stayed in terms of comfort/price/ease of getting to NYCOM. Thanks for any help!

Can't help you there. I came from Albany so I took a 5:10 am train down and went directly to my interview. I think one of the places they listed is probably the best. Good luck!:luck:

just like everyone has said, the interview was brief and very laid back. no need to worry at all. best of luck!