NYCOM interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superflyDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYCOM is my top choice and I have made sure they know that by bugging calling and emailing quite often... just to update you guys, they said they will notify us within 2-3 weeks for interviews :eek: ! Good luck NYCOM'rs :love:

Members don't see this ad.

superflyDO said:
NYCOM is my top choice and I have made sure they know that by bugging calling and emailing quite often... just to update you guys, they said they will notify us within 2-3 weeks for interviews :eek: ! Good luck NYCOM'rs :love:

Thanks! I was getting very anxious waiting.

superflyDO said:

NYCOM is a GREAT school. Im a MS1 currently at NYCOM and i love it. The students are friendly, faculty are always available and the location is perfect -not too far, yet not too close.

Well good luck. Hope to see you in 2005! ! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
mikey said:
NYCOM is a GREAT school. Im a MS1 currently at NYCOM and i love it. The students are friendly, faculty are always available and the location is perfect -not too far, yet not too close.

Well good luck. Hope to see you in 2005! ! :)
Thank you :p

by the NYCOM gets its act together...the rest of the DO classes would already be filled up...their "couple of weeks" is getting to be like a "couple of years"...why are they so slow anyways?

mzafaran said:
by the NYCOM gets its act together...the rest of the DO classes would already be filled up...their "couple of weeks" is getting to be like a "couple of years"...why are they so slow anyways?

They must be confident that they will be able to fill a class even if they start late.

I got my NYCOM interview invite today. The secondary app was enclosed...and, you call their office up and schedule your own interview as well. SO...you should be getting yours any day!

ornis4 said:
I got my NYCOM interview invite today. The secondary app was enclosed...and, you call their office up and schedule your own interview as well. SO...you should be getting yours any day!

Is this a tease? Are you a teaser? :p

ornis4 said:

Congrats!
Did they already have your letters of rec?

Affirmative on the interview invite! Secondary enclosed. Unsure if letters are received but they should have since i sent them out three months ago! Good luck all and have fun! :thumbup:

NYCDawg81 said:
Affirmative on the interview invite! Secondary enclosed. Unsure if letters are received but they should have since i sent them out three months ago! Good luck all and have fun! :thumbup:

why did you send your LOR's 3 months ago? they have not asked for LOR's in their email telling me they received my primary.

am i missing something? or is this person trying to make us freak out?

you got their invite thru email or mail??

mzafaran said:
you got their invite thru email or mail??
Yeah, email or snail mail?
When was it dated/postmarked?
Are you instate?
If not, where are you, or how far are you from NYCOM?
Thnx!

oh, and if you have a chance, what questions are on the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
well...

Received by snail mail yesterday on 11/1/2004.

Got my LOR sent around the same time to all schools. I have to call and schedule an appointment with them today. But equally as important, I have to make sure if they have my LOR...since I sent it in so early, I'm afraid they might have misplaced it. I don't believe you need to have them request LOR to send it. Its definitely a requirement if your trying to gain admission. But I'll ask them today when I call for an interview date.

I live in south Brooklyn, approximately 45 minutes away by driving. Good luck all! :thumbup:

hotlikebutter said:
why did you send your LOR's 3 months ago? they have not asked for LOR's in their email telling me they received my primary.

They don't ask for LORs but you have to send them after you finish your primary. I think they consider LORs when they review your primary application.

Damn you guys ask a lot of questions! It's ok, I understand. First off, nope I'm no teaser. I live in NJ, so I probably got it quicker than most via snailmail. It's postmarked 10/30, arrived yesterday. I never sent my LOR there...but my pre-med advisor is close by and a friend of mine, so it's no big deal for me to just send along the envelope to her and she'll send it right out. The secondary is extremely straightforward and standard. You can call in and schedule your interviews either in the morning or afternoon sessions, with a tour, lunch and admissions briefing included as well. Anyway, stay calm and hopefully yours will all arrive today.

ornis4 said:
Damn you guys ask a lot of questions! It's ok, I understand. First off, nope I'm no teaser. I live in NJ, so I probably got it quicker than most via snailmail. It's postmarked 10/30, arrived yesterday. I never sent my LOR there...but my pre-med advisor is close by and a friend of mine, so it's no big deal for me to just send along the envelope to her and she'll send it right out. The secondary is extremely straightforward and standard. You can call in and schedule your interviews either in the morning or afternoon sessions, with a tour, lunch and admissions briefing included as well. Anyway, stay calm and hopefully yours will all arrive today.

Man, I am so anxious everyday to check my mails. Now I have one more reason to be more anxious.

Ornis4 - Thanks for the heads up, couple more quick questions for you. Did you take the April Mcat or just the August Mcat? If you dont mind mentioning what your background/ethnicity is and also your stats. I understand if you do not wish to share this info, but any info you can give would be appreciated. Thanks :thumbup: :thumbup:

skiiboy said:
Ornis4 - Thanks for the heads up, couple more quick questions for you. Did you take the April Mcat or just the August Mcat? If you dont mind mentioning what your background/ethnicity is and also your stats. I understand if you do not wish to share this info, but any info you can give would be appreciated. Thanks :thumbup: :thumbup:

Don't sweat it...I've been around SDN for awhile now, and really don't care who knows my stats. Maybe that's what comes along with being in the extremely "average" range of med school applicants, you figure it's all a crap-shoot anyways, so we may as well all be in it together. I'm a white male, took the April MCAT and got a 30P (12VR, 9BS, 9PS). Right now I'm completing my Master's of Basic Medical Science at New York Medical College, and my overall GPA from undergrad + grad is about a 3.4. Decent enough stats for osteo schools, iffy for many allo ones...but I'm applying to 20 schools total, including five osteopathic. So far not a positive or negative word from any allo schools, but four interviews at osteo schools. So a good start...

hotlikebutter said:

Hi. I received their email saying they got the primary. Wasn't sure about LORs and when to send them. So, I called NYCOM and she said to send them now. Didn't get a clear answer as to whether they need them before offering interviews, or even whether they look at them before interviews...but she did say to send them NOW.

ok, like most of you, I assumed that the school would request LORs before i sent them, since most schools will throw them out if they arrive before they request them from you. so i called NYCOM today, and they said, please send us you LORs ASAP. I dont know if they use the LOR along with your primary to decide on interview, did not get an answer on that one. the ad officer just said it was part of the complete file.

good luck all and go send those LORs!

LOR question...
Congrats on those who received the interview... First year student at NYCOM and have only good things to say about the school. Definitely no regrets. As for your LOR question. It should be sent with your premed commitee letter prior to your interview if possible, but it is fine if you don't have it in time. Last year the director reviewed our application with us at the end of the interview to inform of us if we were missing anything (including LOR). Your application will be placed on hold for review until all the letters are in.

i will call nycom tommorrow to see if my LOR were accepted. Keep you all up to date.

I talked to Ellen at NYCOM admissions. Asked them when you can send LORS and she stated it was ok to send it before you got an interview invite. I sent it a long time ago (end of june), when I had applied to all osteopathic schools. Ellen checked my file and said its already there.

So, NO, they do not throw away your LORs just because you send it early. If you haven't already sent the LORs then do it now! Hope i helped. Good luck all! :thumbup:

hotlikebutter said:
ok, like most of you, I assumed that the school would request LORs before i sent them, since most schools will throw them out if they arrive before they request them from you. so i called NYCOM today, and they said, please send us you LORs ASAP. I dont know if they use the LOR along with your primary to decide on interview, did not get an answer on that one. the ad officer just said it was part of the complete file.

good luck all and go send those LORs!

Most schools actually do not request LORs. They list them under their requirements and it is a given that you have to send LORs on your own because it is your responsibility to figure out what the prerequisites are. If you are unsure, you are suppose to find out or ask. That is how they think. Hoped my previous comments helped too. :thumbup:

I sent my LORs to all the schools that I applied to in July and have had 0 problems. I now have an interview with NYCOM and they have all my letters still, I called to confirm.

Lets keep eachother posted on any responses from NYCOM after December interviews....oh yeah, for those of you that left early after interviewing December 1st( I was the last one to go)...I asked the admissions office when we should hear from them. They said that it's normally 2-4 weeks but because of the holidays we might have to wait longer and not to stress if it takes over a month!

Good Luck :thumbup:

I've been trying to reach NYCOM by phone since yesterday but no one is picking up. I want to make sure my LOR's were received. Just wondering for those who were able to reach someone by phone what number did you call that actually got answered?