NYCOM - It's official :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called NYCOM on Tuesday and got the good news but still couldn't celebrate until the acceptance letter came today. I am very excited wohoo!:D After a long haul I am finally going to be a doctor....would love to hear what other people considering or accepted to NYCOM think about the school. And just general opinions about keeping my other options open. I have an interview scheduled for Touro-MI in Feb, and am waiting to hear back from a bunch of other schools. I currently live in Brooklyn, so NYCOM is certainly high on my list...but I am interested in at least comparing it to as many schools as possible. The 1500 deposit is due in Jan. OY!

Members don't see this ad.

I got the official letter today too, and I'm also from Brooklyn. But I interviewed at UNECOM yesterday, and I loved it, but I'm not sure how much they loved me. NYCOM definitly is a great school, and I think I decided to go there over NSUCOM. I'm going to DMU next week because everyone says such great things about it, that I decided to see for myself, although it's going to have to be something really special to tear me away from the East Coast.

What I liked about NYCOM was that it was the only interview where they haven't asked me how I would survive in a small town coming from a city, having lived there my whole life. Every other interviewer has asked me if I even have a liscense, warned me that I will need a car, and be willing to drive it. I just want to tell them JUST BECAUSE I LIVE IN A CITY DOES NOT MEAN I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE!!!!!!

But yea, as of now, I'm going to NYCOM. Although nothing is set in stone yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like NYCOM, but am interested in seeing the other schools out there. Are you at all worried about the large class size?
Good luck on your DMU interview:D

Maybe we will be classmates next year;)

Cost of attending is $65k/yr

I really like NYCOM, but am interested in seeing the other schools out there. Are you at all worried about the large class size?
Good luck on your DMU interview:D

Maybe we will be classmates next year;)

That for me is a negative, although I don't know how much. I came from a small department in undergrad, although the school itself was pretty big. But my department was really small, and I liked that we were able to develop relationships with the professors, and all of us students became a pretty tight knit family. And I liked that camraderie. But, my high school was huge, 4,000+ in the school, 730 in my graduating class, and I liked the anonimity that a larger class lets you have. So I'm not sure what I think about a larger class. Then again, we were told that there are quite a few people who don't go to class, so then it might seem like a smaller class. Honestly, I don't know what to think of a larger class. As you can tell, I'm a true Gemini, each twin is telling me a different thing.

I think in a larger class, you would have to make more of an effort to get to know the profs, but if you're the type who would do that anyway, it's not such a big deal. If I do end up at NYCOM, it is possible that I would know a few people who would also be in the class with me, which is a nice thing, whereas anywhere else, I wouldn't know anyone. Also minor thing, but it's nice to have a familiar face in a new situation like that.

congrats!!!!

I would have liked to apply to NYCOM...too bad they don't take Canadians.
A girl in my class is from Toronto; however, she did her undergrad at NYIT.

Hey all NYCOMers! Congrats to you guys on your acceptance. Could you please post your stats, and health exp (if applicable)

I interviewed recently, and was wondering when u guys interviewed so I can have a time frame of when to hear

I called NYCOM on Tuesday and got the good news...

when you called, what exactly did u say? Cause I tried calling and she was like "sorry, ull get a letter in the mail if u get an acceptance (she didnt ask for my name or anything :( )

Ill trade someone a wvsom acceptance for a nycom one

- if only it worked that way, haha

when you called, what exactly did u say? Cause I tried calling and she was like "sorry, ull get a letter in the mail if u get an acceptance (she didnt ask for my name or anything :( )

Ill trade someone a wvsom acceptance for a nycom one

- if only it worked that way, haha

I basically called about two weeks after I interviewed and said "I interviewd on the --, can you tell me when we might be notified of a decision?" Then she asked for all of my info ss# etc and then informed me that the letter is in the mail and congrats you have been accepted...It was a bit embarassing...I was so excited I said thank you so much and hung up without saying goodbye..:oops: oops...good luck with your application it might have just been a different person who answered my phone call.

dark, I interviewed on the 15th and got the same response when I called- guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all those accepted!! Awesome!

Can you please post your stats and ECs if you were accepted. Please!!??

so third time calling...and they FINALLY asked for my name and social...

and turns out they sent my letter like 3 weeks ago, but it probably got lost in the mail....

BUT I GOT IN!!!! im so excited, i really wasnt feeling the 3K for wvsom hahah.

Dr.Josh, stats are in the link

GOOD LUCK to everyone!!

so third time calling...and they FINALLY asked for my name and social...

and turns out they sent my letter like 3 weeks ago, but it probably got lost in the mail....

BUT I GOT IN!!!! im so excited, i really wasnt feeling the 3K for wvsom hahah.

Dr.Josh, stats are in the link

GOOD LUCK to everyone!!

CONGRATS!!! Maybe we will be classmates next year :D

Hi,
New to SDN. I'm from Brooklyn and also just got into NYCOM. Psyched. Most def. I did pretty poorly on the MCATs, but have a masters in bioethics and a 3.4 GPA. It worked out.

I'm upset though that I have to tell them by Jan 17th!! I haven't even heard from other schools yet. Is that normal?

Happy December to all

thadarknyte, when did you interview?

i interviewed on the 16th in the aftrnoon and have yet to hear from them. I called last Thursday and was told my application wasnt reviewed yet. just called again to ask and was told (without asking for name or anything) that I'll know when its in my mailbox lol

any suggestions?
thanks for allowing me to vent, now i feel better :)

Hi,
New to SDN. I'm from Brooklyn and also just got into NYCOM. Psyched. Most def. I did pretty poorly on the MCATs, but have a masters in bioethics and a 3.4 GPA. It worked out.

I'm upset though that I have to tell them by Jan 17th!! I haven't even heard from other schools yet. Is that normal?

Happy December to all

yes this is normal. some schools might be flexible but I dont know details.

http://www.aacom.org/data/cib/13-guidelines.html

Colleges of osteopathic medicine may begin extending offers of admission at any time after the interview. Applicants will be requested to submit necessary matriculation documents, including a deposit, according to the following schedule:
those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14;
those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days;
those accepted between January 15 and June 14 will have 14 days;
those accepted after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.

thadarknyte, when did you interview?

i interviewed on the 16th in the aftrnoon and have yet to hear from them. I called last Thursday and was told my application wasnt reviewed yet. just called again to ask and was told (without asking for name or anything) that I'll know when its in my mailbox lol

any suggestions?
thanks for allowing me to vent, now i feel better :)

i interviewed on the 6th. they said i beleive 2 - 3 weeks, so u can imagine the panic goin on when its been like 4.5 weeks since i heard from them and everyone else was getting accepted. First time i called i got the ull get it in the mail, the second time i called the system was down (or so they said) and theh third time i called it was a nice lady, and she took the time to look through my file. Altho i still havent recieved the letter, im not 100% satisfied until i get the letter, casue even though she told me on the fone, what if theres another person with the same name or last name....ahh lets not get into that...haha

Congratz!! I got my invitation letter today and I'm planning to call tom for an apointment, how long did you did you have to wait for an interview?

Has the adcom met for review for people on the 16th and on. (i dont think there were any interviews between the 16th and 28th, correct me if im wrong.)

Has the adcom met for review for people on the 16th and on. (i dont think there were any interviews between the 16th and 28th, correct me if im wrong.)

I interviewed on the 28th and I juss recieved my acceptance letter today:D

great to hear, congrats. I also had interviewed that day, but I have to wait for one of my parents to get home before I know....Ugh this maybe even more stressful then I thought. Are you from NYC?

well i didnt get anything in the mail :(, ugh...maybe tomorrow?

Maybe, hang in there. I interviewed there on the 30th.

Interviewd Nov 28th, Accepted today :)