NYCOM-Live in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suzette

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if it is possible to live in Manhattan or Brooklyn and commute to NYCOM? Any thoughts???
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

alot of people do, its definitely possible.

a friend of mine stayed at her place in brooklyn all 4 years, and it was really great once she started rotating in the city.
but for me personally, i am going to want to live as close by as possible. i dont think i would enjoy rush hour LIE traffic!

Hey,
Where in Brooklyn did your friend live? Any idea how long the commute is?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Queens and if I get of this nycom waiting list would prefer to move as close as possible to the school than live here in Queens. Eventhough it's only 20 miles away and without traffic you can make it there in under 20 minutes, you do have to factor in the early morning traffic. When I had my interview, that 20 minute ride turned into 90 minutes due to the LIE traffic. Still, you have to pick an area that fits your preference of location, rent, accomodations, etc.

i would reccomend moving as close as possible - i'll be attending this fall as well. Luckily, I live in the neighberhood, but being a New yorker my whole life I can tell you that the traffic is killer - at times, you'll be able to avoid it - but, at other times, you won't and a commute like that may burn you out. If you really want to, do it, and you'll be able to pull it off. But, to make things easier, i would reccomend moving close by.

I would also recommend moving closer. The traffic is horrible and the commute is not easy. From Manhattan or Brooklyn there is no direct Subway to Westbury so it will be really difficult. Forget about taking a bus-IT SUCKS. Trust me! Also if money is an issue I do dot recommend living in Manhattan or Brooklyn. To get something in a decent area is EXTREMELY expensive!:eek: You are going to be busy enough and you do not want the added hassel of the dreaded NY commute. Hope this helped!GOOD LUCK:hardy:

Originally posted by suzette
Hey,
Where in Brooklyn did your friend live? Any idea how long the commute is?
Thanks!

she lives in the park slope area. no idea how long that commute is, i would guess an hour, and that's being generous.
she also said people in her class commuted from staten island! NO WAY AM I DOING THAT! it will take me 30 minutes just to get over the stupid VZ...
my boyfriend worked very close to NYCOM for the past few summers, and he lives in queens. his drive took about 45 minutes each way (this was leaving home at 845am and leaving work at 4pm)
if i lived in queens, preferably right on the LI border, i would consider commuting. it will save a ton of money.
but i will be moving to long island, again.

Every minute in the car is a minute you will wish you had for studying or relaxing. You may also find yourself feeling more like a "New York driver" where every second of travel between A and B is pure agony. If you wind up living far, find someone to travel with so you can at least discuss material.