NYCOM or DMU?

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I am in a great dilemma. My deposit for NYCOM is due feb 16th and DMU interview is on Feb 22nd.
    I just sent in $1500 check to NYCOM and don't really know if I should go to DMU interview. Based on my experience, I really like NYCOM. My parents also want me to live with them. So, they are leaning heavily toward NYCOM.
    Aside from all the great things that I heard from SDN, I don't know anything about DMU. I also don't want to spend $$ and go through the hassles of travelling, but I can't seem to justify canceling my interview.

My question is, Is DMU significatly better than NYCOM?
    Is it good enough that I should go live in Iowa and let $1500 wasted?

Taty

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 6, 2002
    New York
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I am in a great dilemma. My deposit for NYCOM is due feb 16th and DMU interview is on Feb 22nd.
      I just sent in $1500 check to NYCOM and don't really know if I should go to DMU interview. Based on my experience, I really like NYCOM. My parents also want me to live with them. So, they are leaning heavily toward NYCOM.
      Aside from all the great things that I heard from SDN, I don't know anything about DMU. I also don't want to spend $$ and go through the hassles of travelling, but I can't seem to justify canceling my interview.

NYCOM, or go on have interview and see which school do you like the most...:)Good luck!

About the Ads

Protease

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 1, 2005
        NYCOM will be cheaper especially since you will not have to worry about rent, utilities, food, housing, if you stay at home. You will save around 15,000-20,000 anually this way.

Ask yourself what was the reason you liked NYCOM, then ask if DMU has something better from your list. You will be great doctor if you go to either school, its more about you working hard than the school. Both schools are great, best way to answer your question, make a list Pro/Cons for NYCOM and DMU and see where you fit. I think you already made up your mind its NYCOM. Good luck on your education, may you be the best doctor you can be.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Oct 20, 2003
        New York
        1. Medical Student
          I went on myDMU interview after having other acceptances. I only went because I had a friend who went last year and said it's such a great school, it's definitly worth checking out. And ti really is a great school and I'm glad I visited it. It definitly was the most interactive interview I went on. I never really saw OMM before, but they did a whole demonstration on it, and also did a demo with the heartbeat thing. I definitly did enjoy my interview. Getting there was another story. If I could have taken that school and moved it to somewhere closer to NY, I probably would have gone there.

Krazykritter

10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Nov 4, 2005
          1. Resident [Any Field]

Think about it this way (I'm not even going to go into why I love DMU & couldn't imagine spending these 4 years elsewhere) but...You will probably save around $1500 in two months on rent if you live in Des Moines rather than NYC. High rent in this area is $650-700.

Just food for thought, but I would imagine that after 2-4 years of living in Des Moines, any cost difference between the two will practically be eliminated or swing in DMU's favor.

cbenedic

Wolverine for life
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Feb 14, 2006
            Chi-town, Illinois
            1. Medical Student

if you are the "what if..." type, by all means go to the DMU interview! you dont want to ever regret not seizing the opportunity. you're position is great b/c you dont even know if you'll be accepted yet to dmu..once accepted to both schools, then you can weigh out the pros and cons for yourself after being to both interviews, and decide on a school.

i think the only justification to cancel the dmu interview is if NYCOM is your #1 and you have no interest in any other school. it sounds like you have a hint if interest in DMU...so try and go and check it out, you might like it more! :) :luck:

if it helps, i've got a $2000 deposit sitting at touro, but my heart belongs to ccom...if accepted there i will most definitely be losing the 2 grand..but its okay because you can make that up in a week after being a full-fledge doctor :thumbup:

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
              10+ Year Member
              Sep 28, 2006
              Speedwell, TN
              www.myspace.com
              1. Medical Student
                Definitely go and check it out. That way you can compare the schools. Try to forget about the money for a moment. You have already spent so much, what's a little more.:smuggrin: Applying to medical school is way more expensive than I ever realized. Who knows, you may love the school. Good luck with the interview!:luck: :luck:

Shahriar1359

10+ Year Member
                Feb 20, 2007
                1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
                  $1200 / month 2br/2bath, 1200 sqft right in front of DMU (Des Moines University). Rent includes trash pickup and water.

Brand new Condo
                  In Front of Des Moines University (DMU)
                  1 mile from Drake University
                  2 bedroom / 2 full baths
                  Large walking closet
                  10ft ceiling
                  Gas fire place
                  Balcony
                  Ceiling fans in bedrooms
                  AC
                  Stainless steal appliances
                  Wood floor in kitchen and in the entry section
                  Granite counter top
                  2nd floor
                  1 car garage
                  Large Community room (includes fireplace, kitchen, and bathroom)
                  5 years tax abatement
                  Public transportation
                  Walking distance to stores and restaurants
                  10 miles from mall, and walking distance to banks, shops, Walgreen, hyvee (grocery store), galleries and so on.
                  2.5 miles from center city
                  Very safe area

Note: Many DMU students live in this building; they have either bought a unit, or are renting one.

I am also willing to sell this condo for $210,000.

If interested, contact me at [email protected]

supersash

so what's an epitope?
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Sep 6, 2005
                  NJ/LI
                  1. Medical Student
                    you're in at NYCOM no matter what, so if you can afford the DMU interview, go.

the worse thing that happens is you have another acceptance! better than always wondering.

good luck!

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.