NYCOM or TUCOM-MI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerwin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With my stats, is there anychance I could be accepted at either of these schools. For a variety of reasons, they are my top choices. I know this question is overdone, but any remarks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-2.89 BCMP, 2.99 cum (grad in 2001) It's a bit low, I know, but I had some depression issues that have now been solved.
-Taking the MCAT in April
-5 years of full-time research experience (1, possibly 2 publications)
-DO shadowing
-Training as a medical advocate for planned parenthood
-Volunteer tutor
-Hebrew teacher

Members don't see this ad.

IMO..it depends on your mcat..you may need to boost your gpa as well..i had a 3.3 cum gpa..and wasnt invited for an interview for nycom..i also have 1 publication, possibly 2..

Well, for a couple of reasons, I've run out of time to boost my GPA. What was your MCAT?

mikeypo0 said:
IMO..it depends on your mcat..you may need to boost your gpa as well..i had a 3.3 cum gpa..and wasnt invited for an interview for nycom..i also have 1 publication, possibly 2..

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to rain on your parade but I doubt you would get in with those grades. While it is not impossible and there is plenty that goes into the decision, the GPA is to low.

**Disclaimer: This is just an opinion.

I'm not sure how you ran out of time. You have this semester and summer semester. Do everything you can now because once you submit your application it's a numbers game to get an interview. Try to get above 3.0.

I ran out of time, b/c I'm studying for the MCAT in April, and I have a full-time job and a family. Also, if my transcripts are sent in June, then a summer semester wouldn't count, would they? Above a 3.0 cum or BCMP?

HunterGatherer said:
I'm not sure how you ran out of time. You have this semester and summer semester. Do everything you can now because once you submit your application it's a numbers game to get an interview. Try to get above 3.0.

Do you have any D's or F's? retaking those will raise your GPA faster than adding an A with another class. I meant to get science and cumm GPA above 3.0

Also the Science GPA does not include math. There is a section on this in the FAQ

I was in a similar situation as yourself. I studied for the August MCAT, had to work, volunteer, have a family and took 3 classes in the summer. you could take 1 class in April and 1-2 in the summer or just take 1-2 in the summer. You could also take science or humanities online. If summer classes start early June you should have grades by mid August which is still relatively early. You may have to cut back on work but I imgaine that your future is medicine and not your current job. Maybe you are in medicine now.

My main reason for suggesting raising the GPA is you have no idea what your MCAT will be so it'd be nice to help your chances of an interview by bumping the GPA up.

In the end only you know what's best for you and your family.

:luck:

rgerwin said:
I ran out of time, b/c I'm studying for the MCAT in April, and I have a full-time job and a family. Also, if my transcripts are sent in June, then a summer semester wouldn't count, would they? Above a 3.0 cum or BCMP?

Well, I recalculated my GPA, b/c I made an error in one grade. I'm doing it by memory. So, cum is exactly a 3.0.

I have no D's or F's. I had one C-, but I retook it and raised it to a B-. The thing is I unknowingly suffered from depression and anxiety heavily in college, but just thought I was stressed out. The past several years it has gotten steadily worse, but I could never find a doctor I trusted and felt comfortable with until now. She is amazing, I have started treatment, and it's like coming out of a 10-yr fog. Needless to say, my coursework is very consistent. A few C's, a few A's, but mostly in the B range. I did make Dean's list my senior year. An April class is a great idea, if they exist. I will look into that. However, I feel that applying early is in my best interest, so I hestitate to take summer classes, and I'm at a place where I need to try and move on from the life of a lab tech.

I'm studying like a madman for the MCAT, so I hope that goes well. I'm not against taking more dire action if I don't get in this round, but I want to give it a try once before doing so. And, my job is an all or nothing thing.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

HunterGatherer said:
Do you have any D's or F's? retaking those will raise your GPA faster than adding an A with another class. I meant to get science and cumm GPA above 3.0

Also the Science GPA does not include math. There is a section on this in the FAQ

I was in a similar situation as yourself. I studied for the August MCAT, had to work, volunteer, have a family and took 3 classes in the summer. you could take 1 class in April and 1-2 in the summer or just take 1-2 in the summer. You could also take science or humanities online. If summer classes start early June you should have grades by mid August which is still relatively early. You may have to cut back on work but I imgaine that your future is medicine and not your current job. Maybe you are in medicine now.

My main reason for suggesting raising the GPA is you have no idea what your MCAT will be so it'd be nice to help your chances of an interview by bumping the GPA up.

In the end only you know what's best for you and your family.

:luck:

I see is like this. You need to score a 25+ on the MCAT. Then, you will need to do some retakes. You reallly need to try and get all those GPA's to at least a 3.0. Good luck

Rock your MCAT and no one will even ask you about your grades. I finished undergrad with well below a 3.0, but in none of my interviews did the subject of my grades come up. I'm a first year now and without all of college's, ahem, *distractions*, I'm proving my low undergrad grades were not indicative of my ability to achieve academically.
Good luck and you can do it!

Thanks, that really helps. I think I may have to retake a lab (C-) which will put me at exactly a 3.0, but I'm really focusing on my MCAT. Luckily, I have a flexible job where I can study there 1-2 hrs. a day.

MasterShakeDO said:
Rock your MCAT and no one will even ask you about your grades. I finished undergrad with well below a 3.0, but in none of my interviews did the subject of my grades come up. I'm a first year now and without all of college's, ahem, *distractions*, I'm proving my low undergrad grades were not indicative of my ability to achieve academically.
Good luck and you can do it!