NYCOM or UMDNJ or PCOM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastWestN2grt

White Coat, Raised Fist!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I will not be applying until June 2006, I wanted to start this thread to get feedback on the East Coast schools..

Im from LA, and so that I dont throw all my eggs in one basket(ie. Western)I would like to get some feedback on any SDNers from the East Coast, specifically around New York.

Here is the catch, I prefer metropolitian cities, my wife and I have plenty of friends in New York--(so we will have places to go on holidays,of course ;) )
and my wife works for a mortgage company with offices in LA, Chicago and New York which she could transfer(so she can be my sugar momma while im in school $$$ :love: )

So any info on these schools would be much appreciated....

Thanks ahead of time.......

Members don't see this ad.

I know that NYCOM has a relatively large class but they have good rotations. UMDNJ-SOM is a great school from what I hear. PCOM I dont really know much about.

All 3 schools are good schools with good match lists. NY students match into more NY sites, NJ students into NJ sites, and PCOM students into PA sites (same thing can be said of most MD and DO schools with a few exceptions)

NYCOM and PCOM both have big class sizes. UMDNJ smaller - but it is a state school.

PCOM has been around for a long time (> 100 years) so it has a large alumni base in both the MD and DO world. Because of its large alumni base in the MD world, PCOM has a good reputation in the MD world (at least in the East Coast). However, I'm sure NYCOM has a good reputation in NY and UMDNJ in New Jersey.

Location wise, all 3 schools are within 2 hours of each other. All 3 are easily accessible via train. Weather will be similar.

If you have any specific questions about any of the schools, feel free to ask. I'm sure people here will be more than happy to answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be attending UMDNJ in August so I'd be happy to answer anything I can. One thing I just wanted to throw in was that even though UMDNJ is a state school they accept many out-of-staters and once you get accepted they make it super easy to attain residency, and therefore be able to pay in-state tuition, making it one of the cheapest med schools in the country! (and thats always good)

I'll second Jerseygrrl's statement. I'm from FL and will be attending UMDNJ in the Fall of 2006. They are really making it easy for me to obtain residency and in-state tuition. Feel free to PM me as well. Also, Nate is a mod on the osteo forums and he attends UMDNJ, so he is really the person to talk to.

Long Island :thumbdown: , too many Long Island kids up here where I go to school right now so I'm biased. But if ur from Cali that means u drive so u can always drive into the city, just traffic sucks. Jersey is okay, and Philly is actually pretty nice, but NYC is always going to be NYC :D even if ur up in Old Westbury(lots of rich people Audi's mania). My friends are from Cali and they say NYC has a more No-cal feel though, so I hope ur into that.

lilzelda - where do you go to school?

don't hate on the island tho. i live in jersey (by the GWB), but i love being near NYC, and cant imagine not living near it. if you are not used to the area, its definitly different. i happen to like it, but it depends on your style. you should try to come to the east coast for a mini vacation to see them all. umdnj is nice too though, and you are near philly. of course then you can just head to pcom in philly! (and try to hit the king of prussia mall!)

I go to the 'cuse (syracuse)

But I agree u should visit to get a feel of the place.

One of the best things about PCOM and all the schools in the Philadelphia area are that we share lecturers. There are DOs that lecture at Jefferson, Drexel, and Temple, and Penn. Likewise we have lecturers that either graduated or are faculty members at their schools. The MD/DO interaction is probably the best in the country.

lilzelda said:
I go to the 'cuse (syracuse)

But I agree u should visit to get a feel of the place.

Sash, and Zelda, Thanks for the advice, I have visited NYC on many occassions and I love it. I also lived for a year in Hong Kong, which is really like the Asian version of the Big Apple, and so I am used to the life in Gotham City.
Even though I am in LA, I dont really like to drive and take public transportation back and forth to school(although in LA it is EXTREMELY lame, and limited where you can go). Are these three colleges easily accessible by subway/public transport, or is it necessary to drive to them?

I will plan on visiting next year, as long as everything(ie. pre-med requirements) go as planned..