NYCOM Students Converge Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prozach

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello NYCOM Students,

I recently gained acceptance into a program run through SUNY Geneseo, such that I will enter in Geneseo for three years, then be guarenteed to go to NYCOM if I maintain a 3.3 GPA and a 25 MCAT. I am *very* tempted to take advantage of this offer, and I wanted to hear what NYCOM students felt about their school:

a) Difficulty
b) Fellow Students
c) Class Size (Supposedly, the second largest medical school in the country. Are all faculty-student interactions completely impersonal as a result?)
d) Surrounding area

THANKS! :)

Members don't see this ad.

By the time you get there, everything might be good.

ok...lets see if i can sum up all your questions really quick... difficulty... same as any other med school.. they give you every opportunity to succeed though... the taped lectures are great for when you dont feel like going to class or need to review the lectures.... the quality is as crystal clear as they say, but you can still see what the power points say, and it doenst really matter anyway cause they post the powerpoints online as well.... just learn which teachers dont post thier lecture videos. most do, but there are a few that dont.
as for the other students...i think everyone is pretty laid back...everyone gets along well... with such a large class size you would think that there are so many peopl that you dont know...but the way that they set up the labs, especially OMM they make sure that you get ot know everyone. as for the class size itself, yes it is large... i think we had 300 this year....so it makes for crowded lectures sometimes.....especially the first lecture of each block....but that number gets dramatically smaller as the blcok goes on cause people just dont come to class..... as for the labs, i dont feel they are too crowded, most anatomy lab groups had 6 people in them, some had less... this number was bad cause there are always people who dont want to dissect so they can jsut do other stuff, the OMM lab is big enough to accomodate everyone, yoru teamed up with one other person and there are enough tables for every group...
as for the surrounding area, its a nice area, just not much going on there.... which in my opinion is good cause i woudl get easily distracted....but the city is less than an hour away by train so its still close enoguh to get to on the weekends, plus there are always parties to go to.... but your also not goin gto have time to do alot of stuff, especially at the end of blocks.
so to sum it up.... is NYCOM the greatest school with no problems......no..... it has its problems just like every other school... but its all what you make of it... for me nycom is great i can take days off and still get the lectures, all the class notes are giving to you before the lectures, and they make it easy for you to succeed. hope this helped clear up some things....

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same program through SUNY New Paltz. Now that I look back on it, it was a really great opportunity(now I'm a second year at NYCOM). I was initially worried about not getting a good enough undergraduate education to prepare me for medical school, but once I got to medical school I realized I was actually more prepared than a lot of other 1st years. I was already familiar with the school, some of the deans, and some of the students. I had experience with patients through the shadowing part of the BS/DO program.
I liked that I knew from freshmen year of college that I would be going to medical school. I knew where I was going and I knew the exact requirements to be accepted. This took a lot of stress away from college. I didn't feel like I had to do tons of extracurriculars, join all the clubs, do community service... I got the chance to enjoy college, join the clubs that I wanted, and relax. This helped out a lot because once I got to med school I wasn't already burned out. I have a few friends who actually needed to take time off btwn college and med school bc they burned out in college.
Remember that the BS/DO program does not guarentee acceptance at NYCOM, it guarentees an interview. People always get this confused. You still have to interview and you can't be pompous about it. You still need to treat the interview as a real medical school interview.
if you have any questions, send me a pm(private message).

im trying to find a place to live near nycom... but i live in texas so im having the hardest time looking up stuff online.
what's the best way to live close to school, yet have it be affordable?

if you're that far away, it's kinda difficult, but can be done. Just get access to the webboard (there's a post somewhere on here with who to call). Most 2nd years move for rotations 3rd year, so they post their apartments on the webboard. most pepole won't be posting for a few more weeks yet. people usually post where the apartments are, how much, how many rooms, and contact info. Try to get a place around school b.c it's much easier for studying and going to class when it's required. look for places in Glen cove, glen head, seacliff, hicksville, westbury, oyster bay, greenvale, roslyn...these are all towns less than 20 minutes away. if you can find the penny saver for the area online, that's good too. i tried searching for it and it was a pain. next time I get it, i'll check the website address and post it here.
oh yeah, affordable = sharing a house. try to get a few people together and rent a house, it's way cheaper.
good luck

Thank you for your postings. I followed all 37 of them and found them very precise and informative. I am also thinking of enrolling into New Paltz/NYCOM BS/DO program this year, but one thing bothers me. I understand that there is no guarantee to get accepted into NYCOM just by fulfilling all undergrad academic requirements. One is only guaranteed to get an interview. Based on your class experience, how many students enrolled at this program originally, how many were interviewed with NYCOM three years later, and how many were actually accepted to NYCOM? Also what were their GPAs and MCATs: minimal required 3.3 and 24 or much higher?
labruy69 said:
I did the same program through SUNY New Paltz. Now that I look back on it, it was a really great opportunity(now I'm a second year at NYCOM). I was initially worried about not getting a good enough undergraduate education to prepare me for medical school, but once I got to medical school I realized I was actually more prepared than a lot of other 1st years. I was already familiar with the school, some of the deans, and some of the students. I had experience with patients through the shadowing part of the BS/DO program.
I liked that I knew from freshmen year of college that I would be going to medical school. I knew where I was going and I knew the exact requirements to be accepted. This took a lot of stress away from college. I didn't feel like I had to do tons of extracurriculars, join all the clubs, do community service... I got the chance to enjoy college, join the clubs that I wanted, and relax. This helped out a lot because once I got to med school I wasn't already burned out. I have a few friends who actually needed to take time off btwn college and med school bc they burned out in college.
Remember that the BS/DO program does not guarentee acceptance at NYCOM, it guarentees an interview. People always get this confused. You still have to interview and you can't be pompous about it. You still need to treat the interview as a real medical school interview.
if you have any questions, send me a pm(private message).